Draft 2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread: Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
A minor one, but it would raise a flag about ego and where the player thinks they are in their standing and understanding of the game. Do they honestly believe they are one of the most learned? If so will they listen to other players/coaches, or do they know better? Will they tune out if it is things they don't agree with?

Gotcha.

When I first read the quote, I didn't take it the way that you did, but more as him agreeing that he has a high command of the game when he's out there.

I'd agree with that take. If he meant how you took it then yeah, pretty major red flag.

Reactions: egelband

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Gotcha.

When I first read the quote, I didn't take it the way that you did, but more as him agreeing that he has a high command of the game when he's out there.

I'd agree with that take. If he meant how you took it then yeah, pretty major red flag.

That's why I'm intrigued by the word. If he's just saying he lives and breathes hockey, that's great, and basically what you'd expect from a draftee. But 'savant' is a very specific word, so is he just agreeing with the interviewer based on a limited understanding of the words meaning, or did both parties fully understand the use of it and are agreeing that he actually is a savant?

Reactions: egelband

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
The question was " Hi Cole, I have heard you described as a hockey savant or nerd" it worded poorly obviously.

He agreed but actually called himself a hockey nerd. Wasn't cocky, was saying he loves studying the game, learning and getting better. Watches video on you tube and live games as much as possible.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
The question was " Hi Cole, I have heard you described as a hockey savant or nerd" it worded poorly obviously.

He agreed but actually called himself a hockey nerd. Wasn't cocky, was saying he loves studying the game, learning and getting better. Watches video on you tube and live games as much as possible.

Cheers. Makes much more sense

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Ok, this is probably just me getting overly picky with words, but figured I'd ask anyway.
Leslie posted on Twitter that as part of the online interviews with prospects Perfetti "agrees that he is a hockey savant".
Is Perfetti saying that:
a. He's studies the game to such a degree that he could be considered a savant (a learned scholar, someone with a higher level of understanding, a master),
b. he is a savant in that his hockey skills are off the charts but his development is limited in other areas (ie 'savant syndrome'), or
was it just a really poor choice of words by whoever asked the question and he's just trying to say that hockey is his life and he enjoys practicing and learning the game?

I ask because either A or B would raise different flags for me in terms of drafting.
No you’re good. I liked the wording actually but mourned not having another pick that high.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Ok, this is probably just me getting overly picky with words, but figured I'd ask anyway.
Leslie posted on Twitter that as part of the online interviews with prospects Perfetti "agrees that he is a hockey savant".
Is Perfetti saying that:
a. He's studies the game to such a degree that he could be considered a savant (a learned scholar, someone with a higher level of understanding, a master),
b. he is a savant in that his hockey skills are off the charts but his development is limited in other areas (ie 'savant syndrome'), or
was it just a really poor choice of words by whoever asked the question and he's just trying to say that hockey is his life and he enjoys practicing and learning the game?

I ask because either A or B would raise different flags for me in terms of drafting.

I think it was poor choice of words, TBH.... A little too high caliber for most of us uneducated. :laugh:

Reactions: mike14

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I gotta say, the more digging I do on Jeremie Poirier the more I don't hate him as a really big swing at 22. I know he's been sliding all year but man can that kid skate and move the puck. Hell of a wrist shot as well.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I gotta say, the more digging I do on Jeremie Poirier the more I don't hate him as a really big swing at 22. I know he's been sliding all year but man can that kid skate and move the puck. Hell of a wrist shot as well.

The only player in this draft class I have as a no draft. Absolutely abysmal defensively, even for a defenseman and I don't think he'll score a ton in the NHL.

Stay far away!!

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'd be all over Poirier in the late 2nd-early 3rd.

Wouldn't take him any earlier than that. He looks good rushing the puck up ice but I don't think his skating is all that great.

Defensively he's a gong show (St John was a shit show in that regard all together, but he was front an center there) but hes world class on the PP. Certainly a high reward player, but too many red flags to justify swinging in the 1st round. He's gifted offensively, but he isn't Ryan Merkley level gifted where perhaps you can overlook his short comings defensively (Merkley's issues ran deeper than that, but you get the point.)

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'd be all over Poirier in the late 2nd-early 3rd.

Wouldn't take him any earlier than that. He looks good rushing the puck up ice but I don't think his skating is all that great.

Defensively he's a gong show (St John was a shit show in that regard all together, but he was front an center there) but hes world class on the PP. Certainly a high reward player, but too many red flags to justify swinging in the 1st round. He's gifted offensively, but he isn't Ryan Merkley level gifted where perhaps you can overlook his short comings defensively (Merkley's issues ran deeper than that, but you get the point.)

Skating not that great? Can't say I see what you're seeing there. His edge work is great from the tape I've seen. I think his straight-ahead speed might be a bit oversold by some outlets but he's elusive and has an above average first step.

Certainly a mess in his own end but that's coachable. Maybe I just haven't gone deep enough on him to see the red flags beyond his lack of defensive game.

He's at the lower end of the group I would expect to be around at 22 (as noted in the mock draft thread) but I'd be pretty surprised if he falls to the late 2nd or beyond.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Might be the only guy you and I have disagreed on that much. :laugh:

Fair, I'm also over exaggerating on the no draft (like 5th-7th is a complete toss up usually).

I absolutely think he plays a incredible "juniors" styled offense. That added with the complete lack of defensive support f***s me up, man. He leaves all his teammates out to dry on the ice, he can't seem to understand the defensive zone. Getting behind the goal line and chasing players leaving a player open on the backside is incredibly bad. Like that's basic defending, never leave the backside open without support. Also, he sends a lot of suicide passes to entry breakouts, potentially crippling his players with blindside hits. He's, also, not physical whatsoever.

Besides, the rangers have Jones and Skinner in the system that are pure offensive defenders. Think they'd stray away from that early on.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Skating not that great? Can't say I see what you're seeing there. His edge work is great from the tape I've seen. I think his straight-ahead speed might be a bit oversold by some outlets but he's elusive and has an above average first step.

Certainly a mess in his own end but that's coachable. Maybe I just haven't gone deep enough on him to see the red flags beyond his lack of defensive game.

He's at the lower end of the group I would expect to be around at 22 (as noted in the mock draft thread) but I'd be pretty surprised if he falls to the late 2nd or beyond.

He doesn't move well going backwards at all from what I've seen and his pivots are awkward as hell. Like McIlrathian levels of awkward (Okay, thats an exaggeration, but they aren't good.)

I think he gets snatched up early in the 2nd. Someone will bank on the rest of his game coming around enough to the point he can take a regular shift at the NHL level.

Reactions: pblawr

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
What? Holloway is 19 y/o and played in the ncaa as the 2nd youngest player in the country last season. Not sure how that screams “what you see is what you get.”
Haha. Indeed. I know it has been said a lot, but holy crap. These guys aren’t developed until...23? 24? 25? At least. It’s crazy elite guys that make an impact at even 21 or 22.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
He doesn't move well going backwards at all from what I've seen and his pivots are awkward as hell. Like McIlrathian levels of awkward (Okay, thats an exaggeration, but they aren't good.)

I think he gets snatched up early in the 2nd. Someone will bank on the rest of his game coming around enough to the point he can take a regular shift at the NHL level.

I'll keep an eye on the pivots. They seemed fine to me though he does have a tendency to get caught flat footed coming out of the offensive zone to defend the rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->