Draft 2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread: Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I feel like Laferriere is one of those guys outside the first round that this board has really gravitated toward. It might be one of those rare (and funny) instances where people are pissed when a mid-round guy comes off the board.

We haven't someone like that, beyond the second round, in what feels like several years.

But there are definitely several guys who fit that criteria that this board will be watching closely.

Of course I was joking, but yes. Laferriere is a player who caught my attention because of his name, but after watching him, I came away being impressed with what he showed.

The issue I have now, when watching EU prospects, is that I tend to rank them lower because I notice more "flaws"

Reactions: egelband

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Of course I was joking, but yes. Laferriere is a player who caught my attention because of his name, but after watching him, I came away being impressed with what he showed.

The issue I have now, when watching EU prospects, is that I tend to rank them lower because I notice more "flaws"

Well, that probably balances out with most of the obeservers here in North America who completely dissect this continent's prospects.

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
I feel like Laferriere is one of those guys outside the first round that this board has really gravitated toward. It might be one of those rare (and funny) instances where people are pissed when a mid-round guy comes off the board.

We haven't someone like that, beyond the second round, in what feels like several years.

But there are definitely several guys who fit that criteria that this board will be watching closely.
We actually have it every year just typically with a smaller group of people on twitter. Last year was Dorofeyev in the 3rd.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
We actually have it every year just typically with a smaller group of people on twitter. Last year was Dorofeyev in the 3rd.

Interesting. Dorofyev was also a player the Rangers spoke highly off last year. I was a little surprised they passed on him in the third.

Robertson was a kid they had ranked in the first. Henriksson was their upside pick they wanted to roll the dice on. But Jones over Dorofyev was a little surprising to me.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I understand. I also like Laferriere. Great dynamic winger who may surprise some people after his season in the USHL
This guy??
upload_2020-9-21_13-48-25.jpeg

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
What's the deal with Roni Hirvonen? I'll admit, I know nothing about him other than the MYNHLDRAFT writeup. He seems to fit the criteria for the Rangers of taking players who have succeeded in a pro league.

The write makes him sound like a slightly fast Henrikson. But this is where you all come in to inform me and keep this conversation intriguing for the next few weeks.

Any chance the Rangers take this kid or just too small and not high end enough for 22?

I don't think he's faster than Henriksson. I actually think he needs to work on his skating. It's quite clunky. But, yeah, Hirvonen likes to play some good grind hockey. He actually likes to be in front of the net, too, putting home the "dirty goals". For a small guy, it's good to see gutsy/heart-on-the-sleeve efforts.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I don't think he's faster than Henriksson. I actually think he needs to work on his skating. It's quite clunky. But, yeah, Hirvonen likes to play some good grind hockey. He actually likes to be in front of the net, too, putting home the "dirty goals". For a small guy, it's good to see gutsy/heart-on-the-sleeve efforts.
Sounds like Hrivik. Literally and figuratively.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Dorofeyev has his own cult. It's weird. There was a poll on twitter would you trade DeAngelo for Dorofeyev and a 3rd and it was like 50/50.

That shows you how influential some posters are. He was some random kid that a bunch of people got behind, and the collective group think just followed.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Decided to evaluate in depth on Blake Biondi, a prospect the Rangers have an apparent liking to....

For starters, he's listed on eliteprospects at 6'0"/181lbs., but he looks ALOT bigger than that. I would quite possibly say that he could be somewhere in the 6'3"/195lb. range. Nonetheless after watching, I came away pretty impressed with what I saw from him. His game is primarily made on his work ethic in all three zones. He digs hard, albeit not a great skater. He has a quick and elusive first step that gets him slightly ahead of defenders on an offensive/defensive rush. His vision is underrated, but he utmost loves to shoot the puck. It's quite accurate and powerful, too, especially the wrist. He's a right shot, so when he sets up to release he pushes off with the right leg and lets one fly. He protects the puck well against defenders and can create opportunities on the PP via the wing. I can see that he likes to make peripheral passes, like without looking at the player he's passing to but still gets the pass to that player. On the defensive, he's reliable. He has a very effective backcheck where he'll hound a player coming in with the puck, drive him to the boards and battle his way for the puck and go the other way.

Some downsides with him, though. Like I mentioned, he's not going to "wow" anyone with his skating, but it is kind of monotone. Not quite an extra gear, but his relentless work ethic makes me second guess myself on that assessment. I would like to see how he develops his skating over time, but for Minnesota High School, I wanted to see more flash for the type of player he's providing. Another key note is man coverage in the defensive zone. There were more times than not where he lost his man when playing on the defensive. This, unfortunately, led to some chances on net. He's got to keep his peripherals going in all three zones, not just the offensive. I think that will be worked on in the NCAA so I'm not too worried about that. One last gripe I have is that he seemed like he was just doing enough to be slightly better than his peers/opponents. Not a lot of experience against tougher, higher skilled players. This isn't really his fault, but I question how good he'll immediately be in the NCAA/pros. He'll need to prove more to be a consistent "key-in-the-cog" for Minny-Duluth.

All-in-all, I actually like this kid and can envision a potential. His work ethic is really good and has an underrated offensive game that could lead to some nice numbers down the line. He does need to work on his all around game in a harder league. I think the NCAA will be an adjustment period, for sure, and could ultimately end up needing all four years to develop. But if he does, I could see a middle-6 forward in a Jamie Benn, Zach Hyman, or (dare I say) Morgan Barron type player for the Rangers. After watching, I think I would give the kid a solid mid-late 2nd round option with some risk of not living up to his offensive potential. I think this could be a realistic target with the earlier of NYR's 3rds if he happens to fall.

*Sidenote*

He was the captain with Hermantown High and won the 2020 Minnesota Mr. Hockey Award. He will be a true freshman with Minnesota-Duluth whenever hockey starts back up.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Sounds like Hrivik. Literally and figuratively.

On the smaller side, but yeah....

I do think he has a better offensive potential than Hrivik did. Hrivik, also, was a massive late bloomer. So maybe not the best comparison, but I can't really throw out a stylistic comparison, ATM, for him. Saku Koivu with less speed, maybe?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don’t usually like smaller guys that play too big for their size. They usually break down quick.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Decided to evaluate in depth on Blake Biondi, a prospect the Rangers have an apparent liking to....

For starters, he's listed on eliteprospects at 6'0"/181lbs., but he looks ALOT bigger than that. I would quite possibly say that he could be somewhere in the 6'3"/195lb. range. Nonetheless after watching, I came away pretty impressed with what I saw from him. His game is primarily made on his work ethic in all three zones. He digs hard, albeit not a great skater. He has a quick and elusive first step that gets him slightly ahead of defenders on an offensive/defensive rush. His vision is underrated, but he utmost loves to shoot the puck. It's quite accurate and powerful, too, especially the wrist. He's a right shot, so when he sets up to release he pushes off with the right leg and lets one fly. He protects the puck well against defenders and can create opportunities on the PP via the wing. I can see that he likes to make peripheral passes, like without looking at the player he's passing to but still gets the pass to that player. On the defensive, he's reliable. He has a very effective backcheck where he'll hound a player coming in with the puck, drive him to the boards and battle his way for the puck and go the other way.

Some downsides with him, though. Like I mentioned, he's not going to "wow" anyone with his skating, but it is kind of monotone. Not quite an extra gear, but his relentless work ethic makes me second guess myself on that assessment. I would like to see how he develops his skating over time, but for Minnesota High School, I wanted to see more flash for the type of player he's providing. Another key note is man coverage in the defensive zone. There were more times than not where he lost his man when playing on the defensive. This, unfortunately, led to some chances on net. He's got to keep his peripherals going in all three zones, not just the offensive. I think that will be worked on in the NCAA so I'm not too worried about that. One last gripe I have is that he seemed like he was just doing enough to be slightly better than his peers/opponents. Not a lot of experience against tougher, higher skilled players. This isn't really his fault, but I question how good he'll immediately be in the NCAA/pros. He'll need to prove more to be a consistent "key-in-the-cog" for Minny-Duluth.

All-in-all, I actually like this kid and can envision a potential. His work ethic is really good and has an underrated offensive game that could lead to some nice numbers down the line. He does need to work on his all around game in a harder league. I think the NCAA will be an adjustment period, for sure, and could ultimately end up needing all four years to develop. But if he does, I could see a middle-6 forward in a Jamie Benn, Zach Hyman, or (dare I say) Morgan Barron type player for the Rangers. After watching, I think I would give the kid a solid mid-late 2nd round option with some risk of not living up to his offensive potential. I think this could be a realistic target with the earlier of NYR's 3rds if he happens to fall.

*Sidenote*

He was the captain with Hermantown High and won the 2020 Minnesota Mr. Hockey Award. He will be a true freshman with Minnesota-Duluth whenever hockey starts back up.

Sounds like the type of player you'd want to target in the 3rd/4th round, and then let him incubate, a la Barron.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

*Sidenote*

never know how current or accurate listed height/weight are but just to note, RLR has him listed at 6'1 199 and Black book has him at 6'0.25 191...so not the same height increase but similar weight increase as you guessed.

hugely different views though between the 2...RLR has him ranked #49 but BB gave him a C which means they think he will go 4th round or later.

Reactions: Joey Bones and jas

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

*Sidenote*

Great stuff here Joey!

Reactions: Joey Bones

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Scott Powers released an updated version of his final rankings, although there wasn't too much significant movement on them. The biggest surprises to me are Stutzle and Sanderson at 7 and 17, respectively. The Athletic also did a mock draft with each team's writer subbing in to complete the first round mock. Carp had us taking Lafreniere at 1 and Tyson Foerster at 22. Reading his write-up on him, you can tell Carp just crowdsourced info on the kid.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Scott Powers released an updated version of his final rankings, although there wasn't too much significant movement on them. The biggest surprises to me are Stutzle and Sanderson at 7 and 17, respectively. The Athletic also did a mock draft with each team's writer subbing in to complete the first round mock. Carp had us taking Lafreniere at 1 and Tyson Foerster at 22. Reading his write-up on him, you can tell Carp just crowdsourced info on the kid.

Meanwhile other reporters are literally using DraftSim to mock us taking Jarvis at 22.

Hell, at this point, the board's mock draft should be a considered an official one.

At least we actually have people who both follow the Rangers and follow prospects.

I do a double-take whenever I see a main board mock draft. I never recognize the people picking for the Rangers.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with that pick, especially with Gunler, Mysak, and Reichel still on the board

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The Athletic would be better off letting literally any other person on their staff make a pick in their mock draft than allowing Carp to do it.

Carp is good for mundane game reviews and not much else. And that's me being kind to him

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The Athletic would be better off letting literally any other person on their staff make a pick in their mock draft than allowing Carp to do it.

Carp is good for mundane game reviews and not much else. And that's me being kind to him

lol thats one of my biggest hesitation in paying for a subscription being that I really only care about rangers stuff...you want me to now pay $$ to eye roll at what carp says? lol

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
lol thats one of my biggest hesitation in paying for a subscription being that I really only care about rangers stuff...you want me to now pay $$ to eye roll at what carp says? lol
Shayna provides much more informative and nuanced articles about the team for the Athletic. Carp has an interesting nugget of info once every 10 articles maybe.

If they're still having the 1$ a month sale, and you're interested in NHL stuff in general, having access to articles from guys like Lebrun, Wheeler, Custance, Pronman is worth the subscription.

But if you literally only care about the Rangers stuff, it probably isn't worth the subscription if I'm being honest. And I'm saying this as someone who is paying full price btw (mainly because I'm too lazy to go turn off auto-renew)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad