Draft 2020 Draft & Undrafted Free Agent Thread: Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
No change to the Rangers mock picks over at ESPN. Still have Lafreniere at 1 and Lapierre at 22.

1. Alexis Lafreniere, LW, Rimouski (QMJHL)
22. Hendrix Lapierre, C, Chicoutimi (QMJHL)

As long as the Rangers don't shock the world and take someone not named Lafreniere first overall, they are getting an 'A' in my draft grades. Adding that type of talent means you got what you came for, even if it was via the luck of the draw. Everyone knows what Lafreniere can do, and he's going to be an impact player as early as Year 1 in the NHL.

Given the depth of the Rangers' prospect pool, they were the first team I felt comfortable taking a first-round stab at Lapierre, who was injured for most of last season. There's a lot of unknown there, but what we did see of Lapierre last season when he was healthy was a player with some higher-end playmaking abilities. The Rangers can be patient with him.

Other names available that this board has talked about:

Bourque 23 to the Flyers
Gunler 27 to the Ducks
Greig 29 to Vegas
Mysak 31 to San Jose
Khusnutdinov 41 to Carolina.

Puck Prose has our mock as Lafreniere and Gunler at 1 and 22.
That first paragraph is almost exactly how I feel about this draft, it's honestly been so hard for me to hone in on or care about anyone for the #22 pick because that #1 pick just overshadows everything about this draft to me

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Can't believe it's nearly October already. Sheesh.

I have a hard time seeing him fall to us regardless. If he slips by the Habs and he's there at 20 there's no way he makes it by the Devils with their 3rd selection, IMO.

I'd be surprised if Lapierre is there at 22. I feel like there are teams ahead of us who could be willing to assume the risk - including Montreal and New Jersey.

That first paragraph is almost exactly how I feel about this draft, it's honestly been so hard for me to hone in on or care about anyone for the #22 pick because that #1 pick just overshadows everything about this draft to me

I feel like I've been focused on the 22nd pick because the first overall pick feels like such a given at this point. At this point, moving it would feel like a let-down.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Can't believe it's nearly October already. Sheesh.

I have a hard time seeing him fall to us regardless. If he slips by the Habs and he's there at 20 there's no way he makes it by the Devils with their 3rd selection, IMO.

I don't know if the Devils make all of their selections in this draft though. They need NHL bodies in the worst way and a pick in the late teens-early 20's is not going to help them in that regard anytime soon.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I don't know if the Devils make all of their selections in this draft though. They need NHL bodies in the worst way and a pick in the late teens-early 20's is not going to help them in that regard anytime soon.

Fair point but I see that more of a concern to be addressed with free agency as opposed to through dealing their picks. Not sure what their financial situation is as far as ownership is concerned but they have quite a bit of cap space and not a lot of notable names to re-sign. They could easily pick off a few of the upper-tier UFAs who are looking for bigger deals.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I'd be surprised if Lapierre is there at 22. I feel like there are teams ahead of us who could be willing to assume the risk - including Montreal and New Jersey.

I feel like I've been focused on the 22nd pick because the first overall pick feels like such a given at this point. At this point, moving it would feel like a let-down.
Do you have updated odds on that or is it still 10% or so? I’d like to imagine the closer we get the less likely we move the pick. We haven’t picked 1st in the modern period, and we got the pick in a draft where there is a clear and great unanimous pick at the top. I really don’t want to move it for just a bunch of other pieces.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
No change to the Rangers mock picks over at ESPN. Still have Lafreniere at 1 and Lapierre at 22.

1. Alexis Lafreniere, LW, Rimouski (QMJHL)
22. Hendrix Lapierre, C, Chicoutimi (QMJHL)

As long as the Rangers don't shock the world and take someone not named Lafreniere first overall, they are getting an 'A' in my draft grades. Adding that type of talent means you got what you came for, even if it was via the luck of the draw. Everyone knows what Lafreniere can do, and he's going to be an impact player as early as Year 1 in the NHL.

Given the depth of the Rangers' prospect pool, they were the first team I felt comfortable taking a first-round stab at Lapierre, who was injured for most of last season. There's a lot of unknown there, but what we did see of Lapierre last season when he was healthy was a player with some higher-end playmaking abilities. The Rangers can be patient with him.

Other names available that this board has talked about:

Bourque 23 to the Flyers
Gunler 27 to the Ducks
Greig 29 to Vegas
Mysak 31 to San Jose
Khusnutdinov 41 to Carolina.

Puck Prose has our mock as Lafreniere and Gunler at 1 and 22.
The Athletic (Wheeler's) laters top 100 rankings also have Lapierre at 22... its all starting to line up.

Reactions: Leetch3

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

I’m not convinced the Devils are a team prepared to take that kind of risk. Ottawa might be the only other team in as good a position to gamble like the Rangers are, IMO.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I’m not convinced the Devils are a team prepared to take that kind of risk. Ottawa might be the only other team in as good a position to gamble like the Rangers are, IMO.

more than that, they don't have a huge need to gamble on a C with hughes and hischier. I think it makes sense to swing for the fences with their 3rd pick in the 1st (if they don't trade any) but I think they have a bigger need for wingers to play with those 2 or maybe a RD that could be paired with ty smith as the future top pair.

Reactions: jas

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
more than that, they don't have a huge need to gamble on a C with hughes and hischier. I think it makes sense to swing for the fences with their 3rd pick in the 1st (if they don't trade any) but I think they have a bigger need for wingers to play with those 2 or maybe a RD that could be paired with ty smith as the future top pair.

Yup, Gunler, or perhaps Perrault, if they see him as a winger, makes more sense as a swing for the fences move.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

The way it feels for me right now is like the #1 is like I've just had the best dinner of my life and the #22 is dessert, lot's of good options and I might have a preference, but not really any that I'd be terribly upset about getting

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
The way it feels for me right now is like the #1 is like I've just had the best dinner of my life and the #22 is dessert, lot's of good options and I might have a preference, but not really any that I'd be terribly upset about getting

Can't we just have a second plate of dinner? Whoever we draft at #22, we just give Alf more time to talk about being a Ranger. Done.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I really do wonder about Montreal though.

Of course I say all of this, Lapierre will be on the board, and the Rangers will still take someone they have ranked ahead of him.

But forget about Lapierre playing center for a moment (though it's a great bonus), I honestly think his upside and the Rangers organizational depth make him the right kind of swing.

I would also laugh if we use two first round picks on players from the Q after not taking anyone in the first since before I was born.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I feel like Lafreniere is an amazing 10 oz. filet mignon. That 22nd pick might give us the chance to add a hell of a crab cake/lobster tail to go with.

I've always wanted that one draft where we really look back and it feels like we just nailed/aced it.

Not a B, or a B-plus, or even just an A. I want that A+ draft that we talk about 20 years from now. Something that looks like Montreal's 2007 draft, or Anaheim's or Nashville's 2003 draft.

I want the draft I feel like we should've had in 1990 if we didn't take Michael Stewart and instead went with Keith Tkachuk, or the draft we could've had in 1988 if we didn't trade our first for a coach and had instead managed to select Roenick, Selanne, or Brind'amour.

I feel like we've always flirted with that possibility. But I want that one draft where it feels like the outcome you'd want playing Franchise in the NHL video game series.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I feel like Lafreniere is an amazing 10 oz. filet mignon. That 22nd pick might give us the chance to add a hell of a crab cake/lobster tail to go with.

I've always wanted that one draft where we really look back and it feels like we just nailed aced it.

Not a B, or a B-plus, or even just an A. I want that A+ draft that we talk about 20 years from now. Something that looks like Montreal's 2007 draft, or Anaheim's or Nashville's 2003 draft.

I was that draft I feel like we should've had in 1990 if we didn't take Michael Stewart and instead went with Keith Tkachuk, or the draft we could've had in 1988 if we didn't trade our first for a coach and had instead managed to select Roenick, Selanne, or Brind'amour.

I feel like we've always flirted with that possibility. But I want that one draft where it feels like the outcome you'd want playing Franchise in the NHL video game series.
Damn, you just made me hungry. lol

I'm with you though. If we ended up moving the pick for just extra picks and lesser pieces, I am going to be really disappointed. I never expected us to ever pick 1 in my lifetime, yet alone in a draft where the talent is clearly special at 1.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

I've always wanted that one draft where we really look back and it feels like we just nailed aced it.

I was that draft I feel like we should've had in 1990 if we didn't take Michael Stewart and instead went with Keith Tkachuk, or the draft we could've had in 1988 if we didn't trade our first for a coach and had instead managed to select Roenick, Selanne, or Brind'amour.

I don’t disagree, but getting Lafreniere is an auto A+++ for me, it’s not every draft where you can say that a player you’re drafting has a reasonable chance to be the best player in the history of a 90 year old franchise

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I really do wonder about Montreal though.

Of course I say all of this, Lapierre will be on the board, and the Rangers will still take someone they have ranked ahead of him.

But forget about Lapierre playing center for a moment (though it's a great bonus), I honestly think his upside and the Rangers organizational depth make him the right kind of swing.

I would also laugh if we use two first round picks on players from the Q after not taking anyone in the first since before I was born.

The one thing about Montreal is that despite the ‘grab the hometown French-Canadian’ meme, they actually take their fair share of US kids in the 1st round, as recently as two years ago with Caulfield. I could just as easily see them take Holloway.

Reactions: egelband

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don’t disagree, but getting Lafreniere is an auto A+++ for me, it’s not every draft where you can say that a player you’re drafting has a reasonable chance to be the best player in the history of a 90 year old franchise

I'd say for me, getting Lafreniere is an auto A grade.

However, it would feel like such a wasted opportunity, especially in a draft like this, if we didn't have a good showing from our 22nd overall pick and at least our (2) third round picks.

It would feel like the 2000 draft. We got Lundqvist and Dom Moore. That's an A grade, without question. But what does that look like if they had their first and took Justin Williams, or grabbed Visnovsky six picks before Anaheim?

Now you're just in a whole other level. That becomes the draft we're looking to top these last few years. That difference makes a draft that serves as the high water mark for the 2000s and beyond.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Do you have updated odds on that or is it still 10% or so? I’d like to imagine the closer we get the less likely we move the pick. We haven’t picked 1st in the modern period, and we got the pick in a draft where there is a clear and great unanimous pick at the top. I really don’t want to move it for just a bunch of other pieces.

I'd say still 10 percent right now.

We'll see if anyone gets serious right after the cup is decided.

If someone doesn't emerge quickly thereafter, the odds drop even further. And they are really not great to begin with.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The one thing about Montreal is that despite the ‘grab the hometown French-Canadian’ meme, they actually take their fair share of US kids in the 1st round, as recently as two years ago with Caulfield. I could just as easily see them take Holloway.

They could. And let's ignore the Q for a second.

I think Guhle is definitely in play there.

I think someone like Reichel is a serious consideration.

I think Amirov is a kid who is in play at that point.

Reactions: Leetch3

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I'd say for me, getting Lafreniere is an auto A grade.

However, it would feel like such a wasted opportunity, especially in a draft like this, if we didn't have a good showing from our 22nd overall pick and at least our (2) third round picks.

It would feel like the 2000 draft. We got Lundqvist and Dom Moore. That's an A grade, without question. But what does that look like if they had their first and took Justin Williams, or grabbed Visnovsky six picks before Anaheim?

Now you're just in a whole other level. That becomes the draft we're looking to top these last few years. That difference makes a draft that serves as the high water mark for the 2000s and beyond.
In other words, we should like at this like many of our other post-Lockout drafts w/ our first pick being around #22OA.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Apart from the injuries Lapierre just doesn't score very many goals. If you don't score goals or shoot the puck enough or your shot is very weak teams will figure you out. If all you do is pass and almost never score goals you're way too easy for a defense or a goaltender to read. If Lapierre can't be something of a goal scoring threat he's not going to be very productive.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
In other words, we should like at this like many of our other post-Lockout drafts w/ our first pick being around #22OA.

Personally, I think 22 is a very solid range to still have a pick in most drafts. I think it's especially solid this year.

You're talking about one pick behind the slot we nabbed Chytil, the same slot we grabbed Miller, and six slots higher than where Lundkvist went.

I think it's easy to view the 22nd pick as almost a throwaway when you're picking first overall and the top prospect is Lafreniere.

But man, there are going to be prospects out there who have the potential to have very good 800 game NHL careers.

While the top of this draft didn't quite match overall expectations (I still think 2019 had the best top end talent of the last several drafts), the depth into the third round is really, really good. It's definitely an above average draft for depth potential.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Apart from the injuries Lapierre just doesn't score very many goals. If you don't score goals or shoot the puck enough or your shot is very weak teams will figure you out. If all you do is pass and almost never score goals you're way too easy for a defense or a goaltender to read. If Lapierre can't be something of a goal scoring threat he's not going to be very productive.

I agree and I don't.

I think Lapierre has shown glimpses that he is capable of scoring goals and beating goalies with his shot. He just hasn't done it consistently enough. Now, whether that's a result of his playing style or the injuries is another question. But he's definitely shown an ability, including this pre-season where he seems hell-bent on showing that he can shoot too.

Generally speaking, I've always found that playmaking prospects tend to have their goal scoring ability discounted, yet they tend to carry over their success rates because they're generally smarter, higher-IQ players.

It's not a hard rule, but I find myself more comfortable that a playmaker who tops out at 20-25 goals at the junior level can net 15-20 goal in the NHL than a guy with a reputation as a "sniper" can get within the same range of his junior league goal totals.

In other words, I can envision a 25 goal/115 point CHL player hitting the 15-20 goal, 65 point point level at the NHL more than I can envision a 50 goal/90 point CHL player hitting 35 goals, or even 30 at the NHL level.

I just tend to feel like playmakers find a way to translate the high-percentange shots better than the kids who are volume shooters and who take advantage of the space at the junior level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad