2020 Draft thread

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I’m taking Mercer, all day. That’s just me. The D have redeeming qualities but none jump off the page like some of the forwards do.

There are no #1 D at this point of the draft, but Guhle has a lot of upside and could be a critical piece of a blueline down the road. It's just easier to get excited about forwards. But we need to bolster our defense core. We'll see what happens. If Mercer projected to be a center, I might be more open to him. And I like Mercer a lot actually, but adding another top RW prospect would border on redundant at this stage.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
There are no #1 D at this point of the draft, but Guhle has a lot of upside and could be a critical piece of a blueline down the road. It's just easier to get excited about forwards. But we need to bolster our defense core. We'll see what happens. If Mercer projected to be a center, I might be more open to him. And I like Mercer a lot actually, but adding another top RW prospect would border on redundant at this stage.
The 3 nhl.com mock drafts also list him as a center, his team site does too, and some other places do too. I’m curious what his primary position is because I see center and rw listed almost equally. I’ve seen him take several face offs in his highlights. He probably has no issues playing center id imagine.

and I understand with the D, and I like guhle, it’s just nothing pops when I watched him. I like schneider but his ceiling may not be as high, and I like Barron but he has potential health issues? I also like o’rourke who could go in the 2nd but probably too early for us

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
The 3 nhl.com mock drafts also list him as a center, his team site does too, and some other places do too. I’m curious what his primary position is because I see center and rw listed almost equally. I’ve seen him take several face offs in his highlights. He probably has no issues playing center id imagine.

and I understand with the D, and I like guhle, it’s just nothing pops when I watched him. I like schneider but his ceiling may not be as high, and I like Barron but he has potential health issues? I also like o’rourke who could go in the 2nd but probably too early for us

Mercer can play center, and was a center at lower levels, but he projects as more of a wing. He's a good playmaker and he has nice hands, but his primary strength is scoring goals and he's good at battles along the wall too. He's not afraid to engage physically and he'll go to the front of the net to score goals. With his size and mentality, he'd be a better asset on the wing. I can see him as a guy that might be tried at center, but will be eventually moved to wing. That's my fear.

I disagree about Guhle. He scored 40 points in 61 games, which is pretty good for a guy not solely thought of as an offensive d-man. Also, Prince Albert is a defensive team so that limited his offensive output. He's very good at scoring goals when he does shoot, he's got a nice heavy, accurate wrist shot that finds it's way on net, and he knows how to get open. Another good thing about his offensive game is his shot causes chaos. Idk whether he does it intentionally, or if his shot is just hard to handle, but it causes a lot of rebounds. I think he's going to rack up a lot of assists in the nhl this way. He's not much of a playmaker, although he does make a good first pass. In transition, he'll either skate the puck up ice himself or look to join the play on the rush. Barron is a slightly better skater than Guhle, but Guhle is still a great skater for his size. He's very good defensively, it's very hard to beat him one on one. He's also nasty and likes to hit, which this team could use more of in our zone. He should top out at around 210 and he's 6'3", so that's a nice size. The thing I like about Guhle and Schneider is they're no-nonsense western canadian boys, they play hard and they like to hit. Barron to me is like a Guhle lite. Slightly better skater, but not as good offensively, not as good defensively, and not nearly as physical. The one thing he is better at is passing. Barron is a very good transitional defenseman. But yes he does have some health issues. He missed a few months with a blood clot. But he was looking decent after he came back until the pandemic.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Mercer can play center, and was a center at lower levels, but he projects as more of a wing. He's a good playmaker and he has nice hands, but his primary strength is scoring goals and he's good at battles along the wall too. He's not afraid to engage physically and he'll go to the front of the net to score goals. With his size and mentality, he'd be a better asset on the wing. I can see him as a guy that might be tried at center, but will be eventually moved to wing. That's my fear.

I disagree about Guhle. He scored 40 points in 61 games, which is pretty good for a guy not solely thought of as an offensive d-man. Also, Prince Albert is a defensive team so that limited his offensive output. He's very good at scoring goals when he does shoot, he's got a nice heavy, accurate wrist shot that finds it's way on net, and he knows how to get open. Another good thing about his offensive game is his shot causes chaos. Idk whether he does it intentionally, or if his shot is just hard to handle, but it causes a lot of rebounds. I think he's going to rack up a lot of assists in the nhl this way. He's not much of a playmaker, although he does make a good first pass. In transition, he'll either skate the puck up ice himself or look to join the play on the rush. Barron is a slightly better skater than Guhle, but Guhle is still a great skater for his size. He's very good defensively, it's very hard to beat him one on one. He's also nasty and likes to hit, which this team could use more of in our zone. He should top out at around 210 and he's 6'3", so that's a nice size. The thing I like about Guhle and Schneider is they're no-nonsense western canadian boys, they play hard and they like to hit. Barron to me is like a Guhle lite. Slightly better skater, but not as good offensively, not as good defensively, and not nearly as physical. The one thing he is better at is passing. Barron is a very good transitional defenseman. But yes he does have some health issues. He missed a few months with a blood clot. But he was looking decent after he came back until the pandemic.
It’s good to hear your take on his defensive game because my viewing of him is very limited and mostly just to offense. So that’s certainly nice to hear what he can potentially bring in that aspect. I know for Schneider but I didn’t from guhle. I have Winnipeg taking him but we’ll see if he’s available

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
It’s good to hear your take on his defensive game because my viewing of him is very limited and mostly just to offense. So that’s certainly nice to hear what he can potentially bring in that aspect. I know for Schneider but I didn’t from guhle. I have Winnipeg taking him but we’ll see if he’s available

Yeah as far as D in this draft go, the best defensively are Sanderson, Guhle, and Schneider imo. They are all basically the same but Sanderson just has a little more there. It's hard to quantify, but Sanderson's gap control is superb. It's a thing of beauty. You add in that famous Sanderson skating and you have a shutdown beast. Guhle is a great skater, he has a long fluid stride. But Sanderson seems like he just glides on top of the ice.

Reactions: FrolikFan67

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
So if the draft goes relatively close to how the nhl.com guys have it and your options are Guhle, Mercer, Quinn, Jarvis, Schneider etc., you would go Guhle? And if so, would that primarily be due to team need, or do you think need aside you still evaluate him to be the best player of those options?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
So if the draft goes relatively close to how the nhl.com guys have it and your options are Guhle, Mercer, Quinn, Jarvis, Schneider etc., you would go Guhle? And if so, would that primarily be due to team need, or do you think need aside you still evaluate him to be the best player of those options?

In my rankings Quinn is above Guhle, but Guhle is ahead of all the rest. Jarvis is the lowest. If I was running the draft and it came down to Quinn and Guhle, I would pick Guhle, but I only have Quinn 2 spots above him.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I’m cool with Guhle after reading about him. He’s not the “sexy pick” but he should be a nice piece of our dumpster fire D moving forward. Would love Sanderson but I’m not getting my hopes up.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
In my rankings Quinn is above Guhle, but Guhle is ahead of all the rest. Jarvis is the lowest. If I was running the draft and it came down to Quinn and Guhle, I would pick Guhle, but I only have Quinn 2 spots above him.
Thanks for the reply! Based off your previous responses I know you like Lundell but generally prefer to go defense with the pick. If Lundell did "fall" to 12, would you take him over Guhle? And does your preference for a defenseman over your higher rated forwards extend to Schneider as well if Guhle is off the board?

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
I usually don't follow prospects year round and instead catch up as the draft gets nearer. Lundell was the first one I did a deep dive on, reading some of the articles profiling him and the thread about him on the prospects forum.

He seems awfully divisive, yet there is a relative consensus on his strengths and weaknesses, which is interesting. I guess it's more of a debate over his valuation rather than his evaluation.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the reply! Based off your previous responses I know you like Lundell but generally prefer to go defense with the pick. If Lundell did "fall" to 12, would you take him over Guhle? And does your preference for a defenseman over your higher rated forwards extend to Schneider as well if Guhle is off the board?

It would honestly be a tough decision for me. I would be fine with either Lundell or Guhle. I like Schneider almost as much as Guhle, and have him only two spots below, so I guess you could say yes.

Reactions: Everblades13

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I usually don't follow prospects year round and instead catch up as the draft gets nearer. Lundell was the first one I did a deep dive on, reading some of the articles profiling him and the thread about him on the prospects forum.

He seems awfully divisive, yet there is a relative consensus on his strengths and weaknesses, which is interesting. I guess it's more of a debate over his valuation rather than his evaluation.

You could say that. Personally, a center with his size, skillset, and two-way play is awfully valuable to me. Especially when you already have Barkov at 1C. It's a potentially lethal 1-2 punch.

Reactions: Everblades13

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
knowing how much we need D maybe one of these teams that wants a goalie will trade picks with us and we can grab a guy like sanderson if he stays in that 8-10 range.. Why can't we ever move up in a damn draft
It’s always a little harder in the early spots but I agree. We never see a move to grab a prospect we like on the second round.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
knowing how much we need D maybe one of these teams that wants a goalie will trade picks with us and we can grab a guy like sanderson if he stays in that 8-10 range.. Why can't we ever move up in a damn draft
I don't remember where I saw this, YT? Article? Here? Anyway, someone went through like the 2010s draft and how trading up vs. trading down worked for the teams involved. IIRC trading down won by a country mile.

Reactions: iam76

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
I don't remember where I saw this, YT? Article? Here? Anyway, someone went through like the 2010s draft and how trading up vs. trading down worked for the teams involved. IIRC trading down won by a country mile.

Interesting. I know it works for the patriots...

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Surprised with his pick for FLA here, everyone knows we need D
Love the player but unless he's groomed to be a C, it's a useless pick when considering our RW prospect depth is pretty decent (Tippett, Denisenko prefers RW, Noel, Hutsko)

Also disagree with his MIN pick, they need C and would be surprised if they go W again.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014

Surprised with his pick for FLA here, everyone knows we need D
Love the player but unless he's groomed to be a C, it's a useless pick when considering our RW prospect depth is pretty decent (Tippett, Denisenko prefers RW, Noel, Hutsko)

Also disagree with his MIN pick, they need C and would be surprised if they go W again.

He's just smart as I am.

To draft based on position or BPA, that is the question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad