2020 Draft thread

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
i don't see the value of mercer at our pick... I have only watched video on the kid but i never coming away with wow... i dunno

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
i don't see the value of mercer at our pick... I have only watched video on the kid but i never coming away with wow... i dunno

He's good. He's got size, he skates well, has a good shot, is also a very good playmaker, a great stickhandler, will fight through traffic and can be very physical at times. Hard working player, has a pretty good wall game, will go to the front of the net to score goals. Also pretty decent defensively. Basically just a very well-rounded player with a lot of tools. High ceiling and high floor. The only problem is he's a winger, and we have more urgent organizational needs.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
He's good. He's got size, he skates well, has a good shot, is also a very good playmaker, a great stickhandler, will fight through traffic and can be very physical at times. Hard working player, has a pretty good wall game, will go to the front of the net to score goals. Also pretty decent defensively. Basically just a very well-rounded player with a lot of tools. High ceiling and high floor. The only problem is he's a winger, and we have more urgent organizational needs.
Trocheck as a winger comparison or?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
@TheImpatientPanther 2020 NHL Draft Board: Corey Pronman's final top 131 prospects

It looks like our boy Lundell fell to 18 by Pronman...this makes me optimistic we have a chance with him :) Sanderson is 10th and Mercer is 12th.

Hmm, couple questions, I thought Mercer was a RW, he's listed as a C and the same thing with Jarvis (I know Jarvis played RW this year in Portland)

As for Lundell, that quote at the bottom isn't promising "He isn't a line driver..."

Do you think Sanderson will fall to 12th though?
7- NJD need high end forwards/defensemen
8-BUF need high end forwards imo
9- MIN needs C
10- WPG need RD/2C
11-NSH need scoring and D in general

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Hmm, couple questions, I thought Mercer was a RW, he's listed as a C and the same thing with Jarvis (I know Jarvis played RW this year in Portland)

As for Lundell, that quote at the bottom isn't promising "He isn't a line driver..."

9- MIN needs C
10- WPG need RD/2C
Nah for Sanderson, there's a chance that Detroit takes him as they need LD. I hope, but it seems like he's a guy that would interest a lot of teams. there is always a chance for this to happen, but I think it is less likely actually. It's like last year: people need D.

I think the point with Lundell is that he isn't a #1C candidate. I think he is a bit pessimistic over the ability to provide offensively on 2nd line...

I think Mercer is thought to be able to play both, but I agree: it's risky,

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

9- MIN needs C
10- WPG need RD/2C

Lundell definitely isn't a line driver. He's a big two-way center, what people will appreciate about him is the small details of his game. He's just a really solid pivot with stellar defensive play, a good shot, and will create opportunities for his linemates with his heady passing, but not at a first line rate. He's the guy you want to put out there late in games defending a lead. I think 18 is way too low for him but I can understand why some people don't like him.

No chance Sanderson falls to 12th, he might be the best overall d-man in the draft.

Mercer is a W, he does play center occasionally, but that listing is left over from his midget days.

Reactions: violaswallet

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Lundell definitely isn't a line driver. He's a big two-way center, what people will appreciate about him is the small details of his game. He's just a really solid pivot with stellar defensive play, a good shot, and will create opportunities for his linemates with his heady passing, but not at a first line rate. He's the guy you want to put out there late in games defending a lead. I think 18 is way too low for him but I can understand why some people don't like him.

No chance Sanderson falls to 12th, he might be the best overall d-man in the draft.

Mercer is a W, he does play center occasionally, but that listing is left over from his midget days.
Yep: I think Florida will like him because he is far less risky. He's kind of the opposite of Borgstrom who was big boom or bust.

If we re-sign Barkov, Lundell is the kind of the guy we would want behind him...plus well you never know how players develop :)

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Nah for Sanderson, there's a chance that Detroit takes him as they need LD. I hope, but it seems like he's a guy that would interest a lot of teams. there is always a chance for this to happen, but I think it is less likely actually. It's like last year: people need D.

I think the point with Lundell is that he isn't a #1C candidate. I think he is a bit pessimistic over the ability to provide offensively on 2nd line...

I think Mercer is thought to be able to play both, but I agree: it's risky,

As long as we don't draft a W, I'll sleep better at night.

For some reason, I think Lundell goes to MIN because of his two way game, fits their identity to a tee but as said before, they may want more offense minded C.

So it sounds like he's a Barkov lite when he first came into the league? And does have some potential for increased scoring if paired with a good playmaker/sniper?

I agree @Dread Clawz , doubtful he drops to 18th.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

For some reason, I think Lundell goes to MIN because of his two way game, fits their identity to a tee but as said before, they may want more offense minded C.

So it sounds like he's a Barkov lite when he first came into the league? And does have some potential for increased scoring if paired with a good playmaker/sniper?

Minnesota is weird. You'd think it, but they might wanted higher-end offensive potential given their roster. Plus, some rumor they want Askarov?

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

Yeah Barkov lite in 2013 is a good description. If paired with very talented linemates, I could see 60-70 pts at his peak.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Minnesota is weird. You'd think it, but they might wanted higher-end offensive potential given their roster. Plus, some rumor they want Askarov?

Don't they have Kahkonen (spelling?) who they keep hyping?
That kid should play for the Kraken :laugh:
I'd be confused if they don't go for a C or LD

I see/predict:

NYR - Laf - given
LA - Byfield - add another solid C prospect, the lesser ones will become wingers
OTT - Stutz - they have some solid C prospects already
DET - Perfetti - have heard Yzerman really likes him
OTT - Sanderson - Chabot as their top two LD, Brannstrom as their main RD guy
ANA - Drysdale - they need some elite RD for down the road
NJD - Raymond - need some high end skill to go with Nico and Jack
BUF - Holtz - big, skilled with a good shot, would be scary to defend him and Eichel on the same line in a few years.
MIN - Rossi/Lundell - either or makes sense
WPG - Lundell/Rossi - either or makes sense, they won't reach on Guhle/Schneider imo even though they need some D
NSH - Quinn - they need scoring without a doubt
FLA - ????
CAR - Askarov

Don't @ me, maybe the rankings have gone up and down but just a gut feeling :neener:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dread Clawz

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Don't they have Kahkonen (spelling?) who they keep hyping?
That kid should play for the Kraken :laugh:
I'd be confused if they don't go for a C or LD

I see/predict:

NYR - Laf - given
LA - Byfield - add another solid C prospect, the lesser ones will become wingers
OTT - Stutz - they have some solid C prospects already
DET - Perfetti - have heard Yzerman really likes him
OTT - Sanderson - Chabot as their top two LD, Brannstrom as their main RD guy
ANA - Drysdale - they need some elite RD for down the road
NJD - Raymond - need some high end skill to go with Nico and Jack
BUF - Holtz - big, skilled with a good shot, would be scary to defend him and Eichel on the same line in a few years.
MIN - Rossi/Lundell - either or makes sense
WPG - Lundell/Rossi - either or makes sense, they won't reach on Guhle/Schneider imo even though they need some D
NSH - Quinn - they need scoring without a doubt
FLA - ????
CAR - Askarov

Don't @ me, maybe the rankings have gone up and down but just a gut feeling :neener:
Eh, I agree, but I've seen it: Askarov is another level. I googled the following examples from the base: Here is Pronman

Minnesota has a lot of organizational needs. I don’t think it is going goalie all the way; as in, if Drysdale or Rossi get to this spot, I see them as very realistic options for the Wild. Sources around the league think the Wild will need to have real conversations about Askarov at No. 9 without a clear goalie of the future. Kaapo Kahkonen won goalie of the year in the AHL but NHL scouts don’t consider him a true high-end prospect.
Pronman’s Mock Draft: Projecting the first round of the 2020 NHL Draft

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Reactions: violaswallet

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
New Pronman mock draft: NHL Mock Draft 2020: Corey Pronman projects all seven rounds

After the first round, it's a pile of junk: not a single center or D taken in the first three rounds.

Has us drafting Jarvis; interestingly enough, he has Lundell going to Winnipeg and Sanderson going #5 to Ottawa :(

This tidbit was interesting:
Due to the recent and significant changes in Florida’s management, it’s hard to project this pick. Sources around the league had them taking Brandon defenseman Braden Schneider in the Dale Tallon regime. Jarvis is one of the best players available per the industry, and he makes a lot of sense in terms of fit, but I could still see this being Schneider.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Still can't get over it's October 1st, and instead of the season starting in a few weeks it's going to be the draft/FA.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
New Pronman mock draft: NHL Mock Draft 2020: Corey Pronman projects all seven rounds

After the first round, it's a pile of junk: not a single center or D taken in the first three rounds.

Has us drafting Jarvis; interestingly enough, he has Lundell going to Winnipeg and Sanderson going #5 to Ottawa :(

This tidbit was interesting:

Tolddddd ya. We need RD just as much as a C.
He projects as a Parayko lite.
Best defensive D in the draft behind Sanderson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad