2020 Draft thread

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site

Surprised with his pick for FLA here, everyone knows we need D
Love the player but unless he's groomed to be a C, it's a useless pick when considering our RW prospect depth is pretty decent (Tippett, Denisenko prefers RW, Noel, Hutsko)

Also disagree with his MIN pick, they need C and would be surprised if they go W again.

The guy knows nothing... He has some good analysis, but usually go by the numbers and pretends to watch every team when it’s clear he does not...

I’ve stopped watching THG as information or legit... The guy is a regular dude who doesn’t know his hockey as much as he claims...

Hope we pick a Bill Zito guy !

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
The guy knows nothing... He has some good analysis, but usually go by the numbers and pretends to watch every team when it’s clear he does not...

I’ve stopped watching THG as information or legit... The guy is a regular dude who doesn’t know his hockey as much as he claims...

Hope we pick a Bill Zito guy !
If we draft Jarvis over Mercer I’ll be borderline pissed. Annoyed at the very least.

I want to walk out of there with one of quinn, Mercer, holtz, or lundell. I won’t be annoyed in the same sense if we choose to go with guhle or Schneider, but I don’t think either of those guys rank higher than the four forwards mentioned. We can use our 2nd on a D. We have Ekblad longterm, hopefully resign Weegar, hopefully trade for a top-4 to preferably play with Ekblad and can sign a 2nd pairing guy to play with Weegar. We have a couple solid guys in the pipeline, nothing too crazy but there’s some talent there, and we still have other picks to work with in this draft and future drafts. I’m not passing on those talents to reach for D just because that’s the current need

Reactions: BabyBarkov

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Wheeler: Preseason ranking for the 2021 NHL Draft's top 32 prospects

Looking ahead to 2021, Wheeler released his rankings and it's loaded with D and C
3 D start it off, then two C's, another D and a C to finish off the top 7.
Don't see how we will be better next year, let the rookies play and re-tool this off-season and next year as well. Two good drafts and compete in 2021-22
12th this year, is it far fetched to see us grab a top 5 spot next year?

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Wheeler: Preseason ranking for the 2021 NHL Draft's top 32 prospects

Looking ahead to 2021, Wheeler released his rankings and it's loaded with D and C
3 D start it off, then two C's, another D and a C to finish off the top 7.
Don't see how we will be better next year, let the rookies play and re-tool this off-season and next year as well. Two good drafts and compete in 2021-22
12th this year, is it far fetched to see us grab a top 5 spot next year?

I see you've come over to the Light Side...lol

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I see you've come over to the Light Side...lol

Well it just makes sense in a way.
New GM isn't gonna go semi/all in the first year. Likely him and Q will further evaluate who should stay/go beyond this year while adding prospects in the draft.

Move Yandle or Stralman if you can.

Check in with Huberdeau, see if he's cool with re-tooling for one more year, if not then you put him on the block at trade deadline with 2.25 years left.

See what Tippett, Keeper and possibly Denisenko can do.

Doubt we will be a good team next year so trim one D, promote rookies, Huberdeau in or out, start working on Barkov deal and let Q and Z form a plan to start competing after expansion draft.

I'll be pissed if we finish 12th-15th again next year and miss out on a decent draft full of C and D.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Well it just makes sense in a way.
New GM isn't gonna go semi/all in the first year. Likely him and Q will further evaluate who should stay/go beyond this year while adding prospects in the draft.

Move Yandle or Stralman if you can.

Check in with Huberdeau, see if he's cool with re-tooling for one more year, if not then you put him on the block at trade deadline with 2.25 years left.

See what Tippett, Keeper and possibly Denisenko can do.

Doubt we will be a good team next year so trim one D, promote rookies, Huberdeau in or out, start working on Barkov deal and let Q and Z form a plan to start competing after expansion draft.

I'll be pissed if we finish 12th-15th again next year and miss out on a decent draft full of C and D.
I hope that Q is not ok with the team taking a step back. The team needs to get better so they get to play more important games. It rarely works to go from tanking to being great in no time. Barkov, Ekblad, and Huberdeau need to start getting to the playoffs consistently, unless management thinks it's already too late and that the team needs to be built from the AHL.

Reactions: Ratsreign

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I hope that Q is not ok with the team taking a step back. The team needs to get better so they get to play more important games. It rarely works to go from tanking to being great in no time. Barkov, Ekblad, and Huberdeau need to start getting to the playoffs consistently, unless management thinks it's already too late and that the team needs to be built from the AHL.

How do we get better though?
Without overhauling the defense?

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
How do we get better though?
Without overhauling the defense?
By the players playing better. :)
They have been streaky, with decent stretches where they play like they believe in what they are doing. They just need to do that more often, and have shorter slumps. Obviously team defense is a problem, but I do think it's impossible to work around it and get everyone to embrace their strengths and perform a little better.

Last edited:

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
The more I think about it now, I see 0 way the panthers don’t draft Lundell if he’s there. We have absolutely 0 prospects who are a safe bet to be around a 2C. The only thing that sucks is our D still looks like a train wreck.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
The more I think about it now, I see 0 way the panthers don’t draft Lundell if he’s there. We have absolutely 0 prospects who are a safe bet to be around a 2C. The only thing that sucks is our D still looks like a train wreck.
Yes, but no: we have a lot of 4-6 prospects in the system (all of our D); we lack high-end guys which is the problem with C, except we have one younger than Eetu in the system.

Lundell would be a dream. If we can't Lundell or Sanderson, I hope we trade down.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Yes, but no: we have a lot of 4-6 prospects in the system (all of our D); we lack high-end guys which is the problem with C, except we have one younger than Eetu in the system.

Lundell would be a dream. If we can't Lundell or Sanderson, I hope we trade down.
Those are my two like dream picks as well. Although I’d be fine with Guhle and Mercer is starting to grow on me.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Those are my two like dream picks as well. Although I’d be fine with Guhle and Mercer is starting to grow on me.
They're fine but bad value at 12. It seems that Askarov+small wingers will be there at 12-15 so I hope we trade down and rebuild the system a bit. Maybe do something like 12th to 14th with Edmonton and pick up Pulju

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
They're fine but bad value at 12. It seems that Askarov+small wingers will be there at 12-15 so I hope we trade down and rebuild the system a bit. Maybe do something like 12th to 14th with Edmonton and pick up Pulju
It kind of sucks because the top 10 is really nice. Askarov would’ve been a great pick but we have Knight who I like more anywyas. I liked Pulju but he looks like Matheson on forward. So many tools but brain dead.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I would just keep the pick and take the guy we like. There will be several great prospects still available at #12, you don't want to drop out of that range. If it's to drop a couple spots, fine, but I doubt we'd get a lot for doing that.

Reactions: Ratsreign

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
It kind of sucks because the top 10 is really nice. Askarov would’ve been a great pick but we have Knight who I like more anywyas. I liked Pulju but he looks like Matheson on forward. So many tools but brain dead.
I'd say there is a consensus top 12, but the problem is that the 12th is Askarov. Kind of like last year: the guys we wanted on defense went so we went for goalie.

I think Pulju is worth the risk. Maybe not great IQ, but good physicality and scoring in Finland. Edmonton was the wrong place for him.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I'd say there is a consensus top 12, but the problem is that the 12th is Askarov. Kind of like last year: the guys we wanted on defense went so we went for goalie.

I think Pulju is worth the risk. Maybe not great IQ, but good physicality and scoring in Finland. Edmonton was the wrong place for him.
I mean I think we’re guaranteed one of Quinn, Mercer, Lundell, Guhle, or Sanderson. Doesn’t sound so bad.

Reactions: violaswallet

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

There's some credence that it's a consensus top 12, but imo there's also a 2nd tier from 13-18 roughly and then it drops down after that. We want to stay in that range. I don't think dropping down two spots will get us Pulju. Plus if Edmonton wants Askarov they can just take him at 14.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
There's some credence that it's a consensus top 12, but imo there's also a 2nd tier from 13-18 roughly and then it drops down after that. We want to stay in that range. I don't think dropping down two spots will get us Pulju. Plus if Edmonton wants Askarov they can just take him at 14.
My thought is that we can monetize tiers given that we probably don't value the top 12 guy left: we don't need another scoring wing in our system and one of the 2D's in the top 18 would be left around 15.

It only works say if Edmonton or TML want Askarov enough...

Reactions: Dread Clawz

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I don’t think they get Askarov at 14. Carolina picks right before them.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
My thought is that we can monetize tiers given that we probably don't value the top 12 guy left: we don't need another scoring wing in our system and one of the 2D's in the top 18 would be left around 15.

It only works say if Edmonton or TML want Askarov enough...

I wouldn't mind it if we still got the guy we liked. I trust Zito in any case right now. He could tell me going and robbing a bank was a good idea and I'd follow him without hesitation lol.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
That’s true but why not both?

To me that's a bit of overkill. They have a couple good goalie prospects already, and after trading for a goalie they might not have that pick anyway. But we'll see. Anything can happen at the draft. Which is why I'm not a proponent of moving the pick in the first place.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
FYI, 28 total picks for FLA in 2010, 2011, 2012 combined.

1 left in the organization (Huberdeau).

50 total from 2010-2015.

7 left.

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
FYI, 28 total picks for FLA in 2010, 2011, 2012 combined.

1 left in the organization (Huberdeau).
Of the firsts (5), luckily we kept the only elite one, but we had two essential cap dumps, one smart trade that was a pre cursor to a cap dump, and lost one to injury. Rough

Technically we still have Delnov's rights though haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad