2020 Draft thread

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
D. Although the only center I would be ok with is Lundell, if he makes it to us. Having that kind of size and smarts down the middle(Barkov and Lundell) would really make our forward group pretty strong, assuming Lundell doesn't bust. He'd be a #3 center at worst though.

We do need to address the D though. If not now, when?
Yeah Lundell is one of the safest players in this draft. The upside is where it becomes murky.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
i really don't understand why we want another guy who is Barkov .5..... Sure i can eat those words but i would prefer a scoring winger or defensive dman.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
i really don't understand why we want another guy who is Barkov .5..... Sure i can eat those words but i would prefer a scoring winger or defensive dman.
We do need a center pretty bad though. Honestly any of the three is fine. BPA is typically my go to. But we have Denisenko and Tippett.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

The puck possession we'd have on our top 2 lines plus the defensive acumen is attractive. Actually Lundell may be better defensively than Barkov. He's not a flashy player, but he produces. He has a nice heavy wrist shot, and is a creative playmaker too. He can make some jaw dropping passes. We need that kind of puck distribution skill on the 2nd line.

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Draft Askarov and corner the goalie prospect market? Lol

Anyway, In all seriousness, I don’t know if there’s going to be an obvious choice in this spot unless someone drops. Looks like it could be a handful or more guys in play. Honestly wouldn’t surprise me if we have to attach this pick in a trade to get rid of a current player off our blueline.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
The puck possession we'd have on our top 2 lines plus the defensive acumen is attractive. Actually Lundell may be better defensively than Barkov. He's not a flashy player, but he produces. He has a nice heavy wrist shot, and is a creative playmaker too. He can make some jaw dropping passes. We need that kind of puck distribution skill on the 2nd line.
trust me i get it hes a solid pick.. but we rant and rave at barkov for his style.. all things considered this guy seems more of the same

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

What quality do you have at C post Barkov?
Nothing.

Scoring wingers are the easier, by far to find than quality C’s.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
trust me i get it hes a solid pick.. but we rant and rave at barkov for his style.. all things considered this guy seems more of the same

Yeah, we get on Barkov for his style, but he's still a top 10 center in the league. Barkov-Lundell could be a great 1-2 punch, and a nightmare for opposition centers. Lundell also has some characteristics that set him apart from Barkov...he hounds the puck, he's always involved in the play and plays a very deliberate style...either he's quick to go on the attack and uses his strength and size to get to where he needs to go, or he's quick to close on his checks. He plays a more north-south game than Barkov.

We can have battlers at other slots in the lineup. I just think Barkov and Lundell could be a nightmare for opposition centers to match up with.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
I mean he could but Lundell himself said that he’d like to play in Finland one extra year.

There is some new rule which not allow
any player who's drafted from Europe to come NHL season 2020-2021.

I don't remember where i read that but something like that it was.
That's why Lundell plays in HIFK this coming season ( 2020-2021 )

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Yeah, we get on Barkov for his style, but he's still a top 10 center in the league. Barkov-Lundell could be a great 1-2 punch, and a nightmare for opposition centers. Lundell also has some characteristics that set him apart from Barkov...he hounds the puck, he's always involved in the play and plays a very deliberate style...either he's quick to go on the attack and uses his strength and size to get to where he needs to go, or he's quick to close on his checks. He plays a more north-south game than Barkov.

We can have battlers at other slots in the lineup. I just think Barkov and Lundell could be a nightmare for opposition centers to match up with.

It's not 150 % likely set in stone Lundell is available when Panthers pick.
I can see at least Minnesota, Winnipeg and Nashville taking Lundell if he wits those teams needs.

Jari Kekalainen was vocal and very active in drafting Barkov and Borgstrom.
But what Kekalainen likes Lundell and will new GM listen Kekalainen's opinion
like Tallon did that's one factor too.

Don't get me wrong as a HIFK and Panthers fan i would be glad if Lundell ends up to Panthers.
But there is at least 3 teams before Panthers who can grab Lundell
so lets wait and see what happens in draft night.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
It's not 150 % likely set in stone Lundell is available when Panthers pick.
I can see at least Minnesota, Winnipeg and Nashville taking Lundell if he wits those teams needs.

Jari Kekalainen was vocal and very active in drafting Barkov and Borgstrom.
But what Kekalainen likes Lundell and will new GM listen Kekalainen's opinion
like Tallon did that's one factor too.

Don't get me wrong as a HIFK and Panthers fan i would be glad if Lundell ends up to Panthers.
But there is at least 3 teams before Panthers who can grab Lundell
so lets wait and see what happens in draft night.

Oh, I expect Lundell to be gone when Panthers pick. But IF he is there, I wouldn't mind if the Panthers draft him. The likely scenario though is we draft a defenseman.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

2020 draft class is mediocre for Finland we have at least two good scoring wingers available 2020 draft.
Kasper Simontaival who plays Tappara's SM liiga team is projected to go somewhere in rounds 2 to 7.

Simontaival is not big guy only 5'9 tall but he can score and make plays.
Ottawa 67's drafted Simontaival in 2nd round this years CHL import draft.

So if Panthers take Simontaival and they wanna him North America immediately
then Simontaival can go TO OHL and learn north american game there.
But the most likely option is that Simontaival stays to Tappara and plays there.

Other scoring winger who might be available for Panthers in 2nd round is Roby Jarventie.
Jarventie is 6'2 tall LW / RW who can score goals and make plays.

This past season Jarventie played from Koovee Tampere
mestis team and he scored 38 points ( 23 +15 ) in 36 games.
Jarventie is fast skater and his shot is very good but he lacks defensive game.

Defensive game is probably only weakness what Jarventie has.
And if he can't improve it then there is risk for that Jarventie never make it in NHL.

So if Jarventie ends up to Panthers he needs few years time to develop.
This coming season ( 2020-2021 ) Jarventie plays in Tampereen Ilves SM liiga team.

And what comes to defenceman's
Finland doesn't have Miro Heiskanen or Ville Heinola type talent coming this year.
But there is some interesting guys like Joni Jurmo, Topi Niemela, Eemil Viro, and Ruben Rafkin .

Here's videos of Kasper Simontaival, Roby Jarventie and Joni Jurmo.

Simontaival

Jarventie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPPc_pTfMeI&feature=emb_title
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSY1321hzmE

Jurmo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xge-vHN-v5w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfRMFq304Ug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cFyB--LEQA

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Oh, I expect Lundell to be gone when Panthers pick. But IF he is there, I wouldn't mind if the Panthers draft him. The likely scenario though is we draft a defenseman.

Yes there is risk Lundell is gone when Panthers pick.
But no-one can't say yet how that TOP15 will go draft night.
So lets see what happens in draft night.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I don't know how we can draft a forward when our defense is this bad and no prospects to help it.

Basically my view. I think we take D this year, and I think most people feel we will be mediocre to bad next year, so in all likelihood we end up with a top 10 pick. Next year's draft is chock full with very talented centers and defensemen. Not winger dominated like this year. I think the probability is that we end up in the range to draft Mason McTavish, Kent Johnson, Zach Bolduc etc. All extremely talented centers that ooze skill, and gives us a much broader pool of centers to choose from than with our pick at #12 this year. We can also draft a center in the 2nd round this year. There are a handful of guys with 2nd line potential.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
I don't know how we can draft a forward when our defense is this bad and no prospects to help it.

I agree with this... We really need to grab a dman who can solidify our team.. We 2 - 3 of need Koly, Gildon, ludvig and this pick to come through...

also with our second i would grab this guy if he is there..
C/LW Vasiliy Ponomaryov - Shawinigan Cataractes, QMJHL (2020 Draft)

Reactions: PanthersHockey1

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2