2020 Draft thread

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
It doesn't matter who we draft.

I don't think a new GM will be able to figure out a way from cap hell.

Anyone we draft will get ruined by Kinnear

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
We were 15th in the league in point percentage (we were in a tie with Van and NSH but owned the tie-breaker). Given that Pitt, Edm and one of Toronto or CBJ is behind us, here is the distribution of our potential draft picks:
  1. 1/8th-1st overall
  2. 4/8th-12th overall
  3. 3/8-13th overall
MTL and CHI gave us a hand tonight!

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
As of now (in no particular order)

Lower than us:

-Jets
-Preds (if I’m correct with the tie breaking?)
-Rangers
-Wild/Canucks (tie breaking has them below us)

-Panthers

higher than us:

-Penguins
-Oilers
-Maple Leafs/Blue Jackets

———

So we can either pick 1st, 12th, or 13th.....I think

12.5% chance of picking 1st
50% chance of picking 12th
37.5% chance of picking 13th

Last edited:

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
12th is a pretty good spot in a strong class.
Absolutely, jumping from 14th which I think was the original projection, jumping up 2 spots can make a huge difference. We should know. Couture and rantanen were both picked right before us, instead we got ellerby and crouse lol

I want either lundell or quinn. I like Schneider and Barron for D but I’m not taking either of them over the forwards mentioned. I know we need D but I don’t think either of them are potential top pairing guys. Take longer to develop and will most likely top out as 2nd line D. We desperately need to find a longterm solution for 2nd line center so lundell is enticing, big bodied Finnish center that can learn and play behind Barkov and already playing professionally. Quinn a 50+ goal scorer.

would give us 3 of our (eventual) top-6 forwards on elc’s and cost controlled for a while.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Absolutely, jumping from 14th which I think was the original projection, jumping up 2 spots can make a huge difference. We should know. Couture and rantanen were both picked right before us, instead we got ellerby and crouse lol

I want either lundell or quinn. I like Schneider and Barron for D but I’m not taking either of them over the forwards mentioned. I know we need D but I don’t think either of them are potential top pairing guys. Take longer to develop and will most likely top out as 2nd line D. We desperately need to find a longterm solution for 2nd line center so lundell is enticing, big bodied Finnish center that can learn and play behind Barkov and already playing professionally. Quinn a 50+ goal scorer.

would give us 3 of our (eventual) top-6 forwards on elc’s and cost controlled for a while.
If Lundell is FAST then I'm on board, but I'm tired as hell of slow lumbering big guys who don't even hit anyone. Today's NHL is for speedy, strong, skill guys. Big and tall is not a requirement.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
If Lundell is FAST then I'm on board, but I'm tired as hell of slow lumbering big guys who don't even hit anyone. Today's NHL is for speedy, strong, skill guys. Big and tall is not a requirement.

Unfortunately he's not that fast but he's not slow, either.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Unfortunately I think Sanderson goes before our pick but what about Kaiden Guhle?

I'm a big fan. I like him slightly better than Schneider, and I like Schneider a lot. Guhle has more offensive upside, and is just as good defensively. Schneider has that great size and plays a safer game, that's why a lot of people like him better. You know he's gonna be a solid 2nd pairing guy. But I'm of the mind of gimme the best prospect.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Are we not willing to trade this pick for immediate help on defense?
Or we waiting 2-3 years for a #3/4 D to develop?

If it was for a top pairing guy I'd trade it, but I don't see that happening. I'm not trading the pick for an aging 2nd pairing guy. I don't think we can afford the salary, anyway. I think Joyce will be slashing salary, not adding it.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If it was for a top pairing guy I'd trade it, but I don't see that happening. I'm not trading the pick for an aging 2nd pairing guy. I don't think we can afford the salary, anyway. I think Joyce will be slashing salary, not adding it.

The 2020 1st + pick/prospect for Brodin with an extension would be the dream. He may not be capable of top pairing by himself but we could try him with Ekblad to get more offense out of #5 or keep Weegar - Ekblad and have Brodin run his own line. Good thing about him is he can play both sides and did well on the right side until MIN had luxury of running Spurgeon and Dumba as their top two RD.

But I do agree if its Joyce they will cut try to trim some money off the books.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
The 2020 1st + pick/prospect for Brodin with an extension would be the dream. He may not be capable of top pairing by himself but we could try him with Ekblad to get more offense out of #5 or keep Weegar - Ekblad and have Brodin run his own line. Good thing about him is he can play both sides and did well on the right side until MIN had luxury of running Spurgeon and Dumba as their top two RD.

But I do agree if its Joyce they will cut try to trim some money off the books.

Yeah, that would be one of the few deals I would make.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Unfortunately he's not that fast but he's not slow, either.
By the way, I didn't mean that the pick has to skate like McDavid or Barzal, if it comes at the cost of other things, like with Matheson...

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
By the way, I didn't mean that the pick has to skate like McDavid or Barzal, if it comes at the cost of other things, like with Matheson...

Yeah, Lundell is a smart, cerebral center much like Barkov, but does not have anywhere near the elite skill Barkov has. He's more suited to a #2-3 role. He's an average skater. His skating reminds me of Huby's when he first joined the Panthers.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Yeah, Lundell is a smart, cerebral center much like Barkov, but does not have anywhere near the elite skill Barkov has. He's more suited to a #2-3 role. He's an average skater. His skating reminds me of Huby's when he first joined the Panthers.
Agreed. I think hes a stronger skater than Huby, but the upside is a question. He could literally be anywhere from a 3rd liner to a 1st liner. I would say he projects as a good 2 way 2C like Mikko Koivu in his prime.

Reactions: KW

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Agreed. I think hes a stronger skater than Huby, but the upside is a question. He could literally be anywhere from a 3rd liner to a 1st liner. I would say he projects as a good 2 way 2C like Mikko Koivu in his prime.
And I think if he hits that then it’s hard to pass up on. Jack Quinn is also a 50+ goal scorer and looked fantastic. I think I like quinn a little more, but I’d probably go with lundell if I had to choose between the two for the sole purpose of being a big bodied 2way center vs a winger, especially with our glaring hole at center besides for Barkov

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
And I think if he hits that then it’s hard to pass up on. Jack Quinn is also a 50+ goal scorer and looked fantastic. I think I like quinn a little more, but I’d probably go with lundell if I had to choose between the two for the sole purpose of being a big bodied 2way center vs a winger, especially with our glaring hole at center besides for Barkov
My only concern about Quinn is he played with Rossi and he's kind of small. Can he produce 50 without someone that damn good?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
My only concern about Quinn is he played with Rossi and he's kind of small. Can he produce 50 without someone that damn good?

Valid concerns, but he does have a sniper's shot. I agree that I would take Lundell or one of the D before him though. RW is literally the last position we need to address in the draft.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Unfortunately Lundell isn't fast skating is one of his biggest weaknesses with offensive upside.
If Panthers wants C who's fast and skilled take someone-else like Perfetti, Rossi etc.

Lundell might be passable / fine 2nd / 3rd line C but he can be total bust too.
I'm not high on Lundell and i'm even a fan of his SM liiga team.

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Unfortunately Lundell isn't fast skating is one of his biggest weaknesses with offensive upside.
If Panthers wants C who's fast and skilled take someone-else like Perfetti, Rossi etc.

Lundell might be passable / fine 2nd / 3rd line C but he can be total bust too.
I'm not high on Lundell and i'm even a fan of his SM liiga team.

Unfortunately Perfetti and Rossi will be long gone at #12.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I agree but March also has a Napoleon complex and doesn’t care how tiny he is. He’s scrappy. How is Rossi? I don’t watch him so I’m genuinely curious.

Quinn is scrappy, although not as scrappy as March. He isn't afraid to play in traffic or the dirty areas though and he'll battle for pucks in front of thr net. He's a great skater so that helps him evade checks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad