Post-Game Talk: 2020 Draft Review / Grade The Oilers Draft

What grade would you give the Oilers draft?

• Total voters

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I personally have a hard time giving them anything more than B when you watch teams like Carolina just kill it on every pick. Solid draft from the Oilers minus the two last picks but nothing overly impressive either. We will see though.
:laugh:

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I personally have a hard time giving them anything more than B when you watch teams like Carolina just kill it on every pick. Solid draft from the Oilers minus the two last picks but nothing overly impressive either. We will see though.

How do you know they killed it? Are those players NHLers?

Reactions: smokersarejokers

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Probably a B+.

Tough to dock points for late round picks, but the Engaras pick makes no sense to me. Why draft a 21 year old that's no more advanced than your average 18 year old? If you're going with an overager, go with someone like Linus Oberg(SJS's 7th rounder) who is already excelling against men.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I wanted us to draft a future top 6 winger but no one dropped. Holloway looks like a sure fire bet to be a solid 3C.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Some of the late rounders seemed really dumb, Top three picks seem okay, don't see anything super high end though. B seems like a decent grade.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm giving it a C today.

I'm not particularly fond of the Holloway pick as I believe that we were in a situation where these picks were more currency picks than future Oilers. Trading back could have netted us two or three quality assets over the one in Holloway, who is probably two or three seasons from making an impact. Seems like a bit of a missed opportunity.

I loved Holland trading back from 76. Savoie and Tullio were two selections that could have gone at that pick. Instead we walked away with both.

Denezhkin is an interesting pick that seems to have a similar background as Slepyshev. Holland veered away from the undersized skill forwards from Russia that were on the board at the time and went with the big frame.

The past two I won't grade because I know nothing of either of them. The last two rounds are the time when you can afford to be smarter than everyone in the room.

Overall, the forward cabinet looks moderately better. Hollaway is the top F by default and Savoie and Tullio slide behind Benson, Lavoie and McLeod as our 5th and 6th most promising prospects up front today.

Reactions: TheShowBizPizzaBear

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I'm giving it a C today.

I'm not particularly fond of the Holloway pick as I believe that we were in a situation where these picks were more currency picks than future Oilers. Trading back could have netted us two or three quality assets over the one in Holloway, who is probably two or three seasons from making an impact. Seems like a bit of a missed opportunity.

I loved Holland trading back from 76. Savoie and Tullio were two selections that could have gone at that pick. Instead we walked away with both.

Denezhkin is an interesting pick that seems to have a similar background as Slepyshev. Holland veered away from the undersized skill forwards from Russia that were on the board at the time and went with the big frame.

The past two I won't grade because I know nothing of either of them. The last two rounds are the time when you can afford to be smarter than everyone in the room.

Overall, the forward cabinet looks moderately better. Hollaway is the top F by default and Savoie and Tullio slide behind Benson, Lavoie and McLeod as our 5th and 6th most promising prospects up front today.
Denezhkin Was our pick last year beryozkin is the name your looking for

Reactions: belair and snipes

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I'm giving it a C today.

how can you criticize Holland for there being no team that wanted to trade up to 14?

he made it clear as day that he tried to trade down.

Reactions: FanOfSadTeam

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Denezhkin Was our pick last year beryozkin is the name your looking for

Those two seem to have some good chemistry together. Management obviously got a good look at our new big Comrade while watching Denezhkin.

He’s a total wildcard pick but there might be something there with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad