Post-Game Talk: 2020 Draft Review / Grade The Oilers Draft

What grade would you give the Oilers draft?

• Total voters

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
how can you criticize Holland for there being no team that wanted to trade up to 14?

he made it clear as day that he tried to trade down.
Did he? Haven't seen anything about that. Calgary had no problem flipping 16.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Where was Rafkin ranked before the draft? Decent numbers, fair bit of pim's to

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I'm also going to give this draft a B+. Liked the first three picks but not the last three given who was still available. I think you have to weight it more towards the first three picks though

A Holloway
B+ Savoie
A+ Tullio
C+ Berezkin
C Engaras
C Lindewall

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Calgary was at 19 and the Rangers got the defenseman they wanted there so no reason for them to trade up to 14.
My bad. Any quotes saying that Holland was looking to trade back? I didn't hear anything like that?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I went with a B. Holloway is my kind of player but I am concerned about offense.

For later picks the next two seem very good.

The rest really are who cares so for having a 1st and then 4th etc it's hard to imagine much better under the circumstances.

On a related note does drafting players who are primarily successful in the AJHL typically lead to successful nhl careers? Any comparables.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
My bad. Any quotes saying that Holland was looking to trade back? I didn't hear anything like that?

I'm not sure he ever specifically said last night that he was looking to. All I remember him saying is when they were on the clock, nobody called.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I went with a B. Holloway is my kind of player but I am concerned about offense.

For later picks the next two seem very good.

The rest really are who cares so for having a 1st and then 4th etc it's hard to imagine much better under the circumstances.

On a related note does drafting players who are primarily successful in the AJHL typically lead to successful nhl careers? Any comparables.
I know Makar was really successful in the AJHL. Not sure about other comparables though.

Reactions: Aerchon

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I know Makar was really successful in the AJHL. Not sure about other comparables though.
There isn’t a tonne, Dany Heatley is one I remember, and I think he played college in his draft year as well, but he shredded it.

Colton Parayko started there also but was really raw then, didn’t really come into his own till college.

From googling I see Pisani played in the AJHL in his draft year.

Makar really isn’t a comparable, for guys that play in AJHL, Makar was possibly the best player for his age I’ve seen in that league, I watched about 10 of his games in his draft year, he was insane. His play at the WJAC was what got him where he got picked, scouts were there to watch Andrei Svechnikov and got a show from Makar, who was kind of thought to be just producing because of the league he was in. But it was clear he was on another level

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
There isn’t a tonne, Dany Heatley is one I remember, and I think he played college in his draft year as well, but he shredded it.

Colton Parayko started there also but was really raw then, didn’t really come into his own till college.

From googling I see Pisani played in the AJHL in his draft year.

Makar really isn’t a comparable, for guys that play in AJHL, Makar was possibly the best player for his age I’ve seen in that league, I watched about 10 of his games in his draft year, he was insane. His play at the WJAC was what got him where he got picked, scouts were there to watch Andrei Svechnikov and got a show from Makar, who was kind of thought to be just producing because of the league he was in. But it was clear he was on another level
I think Letestu played in the AJHL as well actually.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

yeah he did an interview yesterday on Ched after they picked and said there wasn’t anyone wanting to move up to 14.

Yes Calgary was able to move 16 and go down a few spots. Really doesn’t have much to do with a team not wanting to move down to 14 though.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I know Holloway but don’t know Jack about the others. I’ll read up and see what we got. I don’t like that they’re all forwards for starters.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Solid draft from the Oilers minus the two last picks but nothing overly impressive either.

ya the last 2 picks were not impressive for me ! but the first 3 picks were great ! tons of potential but time will tell how these guys turn out....

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It was on the radio. Near the end of their coverage on Ched yesterday.
Said he spent a lot of time on the phone leading up to the draft talking to teams about moving down, then when 14 came up no one was wanting to move up.

Reactions: belair

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I know Holloway but don’t know Jack about the others. I’ll read up and see what we got. I don’t like that they’re all forwards for starters.

that’s my favorite part. By far the biggest weakness in the system at all levels. Got a good mix of College, Euro and talents.

Reactions: Panda Bear

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
that’s my favorite part. By far the biggest weakness in the system at all levels. Got a good mix of College, Euro and talents.
Fair point. Still, you still have to trade to fill holes at some point.

North

Jun 25, 2009

He said he called around but nobody was interested. So they made their pick. Didn’t Calgary move back from 19?

Clearly many people beat me to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad