Post-Game Talk: 2020 Draft Review / Grade The Oilers Draft

What grade would you give the Oilers draft?

• Total voters

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
OILERS DRAFT PICKS

RoundPickSelection
114DYLAN HOLLOWAY
4 100CARTER SAVOIE
5126TYLER TULLIO
5138MAKSIM BEREZKIN
6169FILIP ENGARAS
7200JEREMIAS LINDEWALL
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Holloway: B
Savoie: B
Tullio: B+
Beryozkin: B
Engaras: D
Lindewall: C-

I'd say a B for me.

Overall decent draft for the Oilers. I know the last few picks dont really much but I still feel a bit underwhelmed in general. I find it bizarre they went with 7 forwards.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Was disappointed that none of the top 13 didn't fall at first but think Holloway was the BPA (him or Reichel, Reichel higher skill ceiling, Holloway higher floor). Thrilled with the next two picks all things considered, meh about the others but they are very low % shots by that point anyhow.

Went with B.

Reactions: TheShowBizPizzaBear

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
B+

If we take Pashin instead of Engaras, then its easily an A/A- for me.

Hated that Engaras pick (21 years old and middling NCAA boxcars) with Pashin and some others sitting there.

All in all, fairly good draft. Really like the first 3 picks and the big Russian is a project but the upside is there.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
B

big fan of the first three picks based on what I’ve read and seen.

don’t know enough about the last three. There’s some potential in all of them and any player drafted outside of the 1st round is going to have question marks that only get bigger as you go in the draft.

the signing of Pulju to a cheap two year deal is a massive bonus as well.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Like the first three picks even though I don't know much about Savoie and Tullio but seems like guys with nice upside and they're forwards which fills a need so can't complain really.

Not really a fan of the last three picks. For as long as I've been an Oilers fan I can really only think of one draft where I liked our late round picks and that was 2015 when we drafted Jones, Bear and Marino.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Don't love Holloway given everyone who was still on the board though I can admit he fills a need. Holland then gave up value in his trade back which is a headscratcher from an experienced GM. Savoie was great value and Tullio is probably an NHLer in some capacity, but the picks after that seem extra low percentage to me given the players available who had proven success at the major junior/European level. Overall I'd say a C.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Holloway, Savoie, and Tullio are likely already our 3 best forward prospects. That's largely an indictment on how weak our pool is as well. Nevertheless, those are 3 good forward prospects.

I'm not seeing it with Benson. I like McLeod but he's yet to ever really put it all together. Should be a decent 3rd/4th liner though hopefully.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Holloway, Savoie, and Tullio are likely already our 3 best forward prospects. That's largely an indictment on how weak our pool is as well. Nevertheless, those are 3 good forward prospects.

I'm not seeing it with Benson. I like McLeod but he's yet to ever really put it all together. Should be a decent 3rd/4th liner though hopefully.

No love for Lavoie? he was a 1st rd caliber talent last year after scoring like crazy in Q playoffs.

Reginald Dunlop

Apr 8, 2014
B+ Holloway
A Savoie
A+ Tullio
B Beryozkin
D Engaras
C Lindewall

Overall A-

More than pleased with the first 4 picks, an A to that point. Unfortunately went walkabout for the final 2, but if you're going to do that at least it's at the end of the draft and with Swedes, given Kenny's past.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
I went A

honestly after the top 13 went Holloway is a decent pick and if he works out fits the oilers needs. and like how holland traded down from 76 and turned one pick into Tullio and savoie.

late round is always wild card but a big fan Holland and his staff only took forwards a huge weakness in our prospect pool.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I don't know anything about these players so I went with the general consensus.

1-Scald-has-been-brought-under-control-by-footbathing-and-ensuring-grass-isnt-too-long-c-no-credit.jpg

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I'd give it a B-, maybe a B for whatever it's worth.

A weird draft in that it's the very first time in this team's 41 year history in the NHL that it picked all forwards in a draft. Not one goalie, not one dman.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I personally have a hard time giving them anything more than B when you watch teams like Carolina just kill it on every pick. Solid draft from the Oilers minus the two last picks but nothing overly impressive either. We will see though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad