2020 Draft - 2nd Pick: Carter Savoie

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Perhaps things I only think about...

What're the chances Matthew Savoie doesn't graduate straight to the NHL from the 2022 draft? I figure Carter and Matt may wanna play a season at DU together.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Perhaps things I only think about...

What're the chances Matthew Savoie doesn't graduate straight to the NHL from the 2022 draft? I figure Carter and Matt may wanna play a season at DU together.
Matthew already played games in the WHL so as of right now he’s ineligible to play NCAA, although the fact that he didn’t return to the WHL this year has lead to some speculation he might try to get his eligibility restored.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I would say so. Have him enjoy the college life for another year and allow him to improve even more and then sign him and move him to the AHL if he has a great sophomore season.

He may never want to leave after that. ;)

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
He may never want to leave after that. ;)
By all accounts DU is about the last school around (as a hockey player) that there is alot of "enjoyment". Very cuthroat , very strict in their regime.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
3 point game yesterday (goal and 2 assists) in Denver’s first game of the year. His goal was basically a tap in but they all count.

Sometimes knowing where to go is more important than the "quality" of the goal and honestly probably will get you more long-term success anyway. What's the point of a Yakupov esque booming shot if you can never use it? Looks like a solid late round pick so far and hopefully he can work on the skating enough to be a useful depth piece for us down the line.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
That is a far more elite finish than it seems. How he’s able to get a good shot off, with such a fluid motion, despite the pass being riffled at his feet, is high end. We already knew he had high end finish ability. Just another example

Was thinking the same thing. Not easy to one touch it on net even from that close when it’s coming in that hot… and in your feet.

Reactions: oilers'72

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
This is a player perfect built for a more finesse style of college hockey. Lots of open ice for a lethal smaller skill guy. Savoire likely needs three years of NCAA competition to mature physically which will aid in adapting to heavier game, # of games and frequency, against professional competition.

Love to see this success in a draft and park mid-round draft pick. Slow cook and hope he continues to grow his game towards a next step future career. Oil seem to be drafting better talent with upside in mid/late rounds. Savoire is a poster boy for the high skill that's worth rolling the dice on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad