2020 Draft - 2nd Pick: Carter Savoie

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
This is a player perfect built for a more finesse style of college hockey. Lots of open ice for a lethal smaller skill guy. Savoire likely needs three years of NCAA competition to mature physically which will aid in adapting to heavier game, # of games and frequency, against professional competition.

Love to see this success in a draft and park mid-round draft pick. Slow cook and hope he continues to grow his game towards a next step future career. Oil seem to be drafting better talent with upside in mid/late rounds. Savoire is a poster boy for the high skill that's worth rolling the dice on.
If he has a huge year this season I think you try to get him under contract and have him playing games professionally.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
If he has a huge year this season I think you try to get him under contract and have him playing games professionally.

I don't see the need to rush him. Great offensive toolkit at this level which he can continue to hone. Needs to mature physically. Continue to work on a two way game. Lot of skill to like but time to get stronger and build out his developmental needs will help position this guy for pro life.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
This kid will be a gamer

I think he is going to have a tough time adjusting to pro-hockey, with his limited skating ability. But I think if he can make that adjustment, he will be fine. You can't teach that shot and release, it is already NHL-quality. He can score some NHL-goals, if he can gain enough footspeed to get in the right spots to shoot.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I think he is going to have a tough time adjusting to pro-hockey, with his limited skating ability. But I think if he can make that adjustment, he will be fine. You can't teach that shot and release, it is already NHL-quality. He can score some NHL-goals, if he can gain enough footspeed to get in the right spots to shoot.
I don't at all not everybody cant be a speedster his shooting and passing is A+

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Unfortunately I still think he has an uphill climb to get to the World juniors but hopefully he is able to force his way to the camp at least.

Reactions: yukoner88

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
DNB had an article yesterday talking about how Savoie trained in the offseason with the Oilers strength coach, Chad Drummond. He said he started a nutrition plan as well that allowed him to cut some body fat and gain some quickness. Also says he is playing the PK and 5 0n 6 situations for Denver so far this year.

Good to see he's dedicated to fixing his weaknesses and it seems to be paying of so far.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
DNB had an article yesterday talking about how Savoie trained in the offseason with the Oilers strength coach, Chad Drummond. He said he started a nutrition plan as well that allowed him to cut some body fat and gain some quickness. Also says he is playing the PK and 5 0n 6 situations for Denver so far this year.

Good to see he's dedicated to fixing his weaknesses and it seems to be paying of so far.
If he improves his skating even a bit, I think this is a quality NHLer going forward.

His shot is already at NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad