WJC: 2020 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
with Hlinka in the books on to the U20s we go...and unless Byfield is having a truly dominant season leading up to Dec 12 camp, I'll have to say he's out of the picture for now. let's check back on him again in mid November.

Lafreniere Veleno Dach
Krebs Hayton Cozens
Fortier Foudy Lavoir
Foote Dellendrea Thomas

Tracey or Perfetti as the 13th.F.

Bowen Dobson
Smith Bernard-Docker
Harley Woo
Bahl

Ellis
Gravel
Rodrigue

As usual I'm not interested in making assumptions as to who will/won't be available. We'll just have to deal with that mid December.
I have both Barron and Schneider on the team. I like the left side though, the first 4 are strong players. Holloway and Zary deserve consideration as they are late ‘01s. Holloway especially is playing against elite competition at NCAA.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I have both Barron and Schneider on the team. I like the left side though, the first 4 are strong players. Holloway and Zary deserve consideration as they are late ‘01s. Holloway especially is playing against elite competition at NCAA.

I have one of them making it if Dodson is not available. I give the slight edge to Barron atm. There could be a lot of late '01s on the team...which bodes well for the tournament in Edmonton/Red Deer. The only '01 we are likely to lose would be Lafreniere.

We'll see how things play out.

hockeyanalyst99

Dec 22, 2017
Here is the latest update and players likely to make the NHL = Dobson and Byram (2 injuries in Colorado, Johnson and Cole)

Lafreniere Veleno Dach -good chemistry
Newhook Hayton Cozens (
Foote Dellendrea Thomas
Foudy Krebs Tomasino
Groulx/Lavoie

McIssac Bernard-Docker
Smith Merkley (hope Merkley play well enough)
Harley Woo (good-checker)
Bahl (huge and can skate and can hit) - Barron

I would avoid Calen Addison as every time he was on the ice, there was turn over, see summer showcase.

I think you can count on Smith, Hayton and Byram being in the NHL. I think Dobson is sent back and captains the side.

Lafreniere-Veleno-Thomas
Krebs-Cozens-Dach
Foudy-Dellandrea-Lavoie
Foote-Groulx-Noel
Newhook

McIsaac-Dobson
Tychnonick-Bernard Docker
Diliberatore-Addison
Harley

Rodrigue
Jones

Forwards are great, right shot defensemen are great, left side of the defense is questionable and goalie is bad. This team could compete for Gold, but they might have to do it by winning 6-5.

foote-Hayton - Thomas
Line 3
Dellandrea-

Here’s my best case scenario lineup, if everyone is healthy and available, with handedness taken into account:

Lafreniere - Hayton - Thomas
Foudy - Veleno - Noel
Fortier - Dach - Cozens
c - Dellandrea - Laferriere
(Krebs)

Smith - Dobson
McIsaac - Bernard-Docker
Byram - Addison
(Woo)

Ellis
Gravel

I chose Laferriere for the 4th line over McBain and Allan McShane since he has better foot speed than those two, which will be a big factor on the big ice. If Krebs makes a faster than expected recovery and takes another step in his development by December, I could see him force someone like Laferriere out of the lineup though (Dellandrea is a right shot and can play RW as well).

All in all a fantastic team and the gold medal favourite, even on European ice.

hockeyanalyst99

Dec 22, 2017
Foudy Hayton Tomasino (speed line)
Foote Groulx Lavoie (potential chemistry as Groulx and Lavoie play on the same team)
Mcshane Thomas Noel Or Dellendrea Thomas Cozens (the righties)

Here is the latest update and players likely to make the NHL = Dobson and Byram (2 injuries in Colorado, Johnson and Cole)

Newhook Hayton Cozens (
Foote Dellendrea Thomas
Foudy Krebs Tomasino
Groulx/Lavoie

McIssac Bernard-Docker
Smith Merkley (hope Merkley play well enough)
Harley Woo (good-checker)
Bahl (huge and can skate and can hit) - Barron

I would avoid Calen Addison as every time he was on the ice, there was turn over, see summer showcase.

foote-Hayton - Thomas
Line 3
Dellandrea-

GoldenKnight

Jun 2, 2017
Las Vegas
With all the smoke around Merkley I'm not expecting him to even be invited to camp.

Talent wise, Merkley deserves some consideration, particularly if the top end guys like Dobson can't attend.

Keeping in mind how Team Canada has seen him to date though, along with his off ice issues, I don't see him even being invited to the December camp short of massive injuries.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Looks like Byram should be available for Canada, as Colorado is taking a patient approach with him.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Byram should be a big piece. Merkley will be interesting as well now that he's been traded to the coach's team. A coach taking a defenceman from their own team has been disastrous for Canada in the past decade at this tournament.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Byram should be a big piece. Merkley will be interesting as well now that he's been traded to the coach's team. A coach taking a defenceman from their own team has been disastrous for Canada in the past decade at this tournament.
With Bryam coming back Merkley shouldnt even be getting a sniff at this team with how strong the defense should be.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
By my count, the following players in the running for Canada are still on NHL rosters:

Barrett Hayton
Noah Dobson
Ty Smith
Kirby Dach
Benoit-Olivier Groulx

Based on their play thus far, I don't expect Hayton or Dobson to be returned any time soon (if at all this season). Ty Smith has an outside chance at making the Devils. He may be kept around for 9 games and could still be loaned to Canada. Dach hasn't played since the rookie tournament due to a concussion, so remains to be seen what Chicago's plan for him is. I fully expect BO Groulx to be returned to Halifax any day now.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
With Bryam coming back Merkley shouldnt even be getting a sniff at this team with how strong the defense should be.

I agree that he shouldn't. I didn't think that there was a chance of it until he was traded to London. He may end up driving Hunter crazy or he may play the good soldier. It'll be more interesting to observe now.

By my count, the following players in the running for Canada are still on NHL rosters:

Barrett Hayton
Noah Dobson
Ty Smith
Kirby Dach
Benoit-Olivier Groulx

Based on their play thus far, I don't expect Hayton or Dobson to be returned any time soon (if at all this season). Ty Smith has an outside chance at making the Devils. He may be kept around for 9 games and could still be loaned to Canada. Dach hasn't played since the rookie tournament due to a concussion, so remains to be seen what Chicago's plan for him is. I fully expect BO Groulx to be returned to Halifax any day now.

Thomas Harley is still with Dallas and seems to be impressing people with his play.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
I agree that he shouldn't. I didn't think that there was a chance of it until he was traded to London. He may end up driving Hunter crazy or he may play the good soldier. It'll be more interesting to observe now.

Thomas Harley is still with Dallas and seems to be impressing people with his play.

Harley was sent back today.

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007

Barrett Hayton
Noah Dobson
Ty Smith
Kirby Dach
Benoit-Olivier Groulx

Joe Veleno is still with the Wings.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

hockeyanalyst99

Dec 22, 2017
Hello Everone,

This is a great idea to develop 15 and 16 years old kid nationally as we are falling behind compared the Fins and Americans. Add some marketing name, we should call it the National Development Academy, have the kids play against junior B levels. Then, when they turn 17, they can decide to go the CHL , NCAA, or Swiss Elite route. We are falling behind in terms of developing players ' skating and puck carrying skills. Marketing baits are that this does not affect CHL teams( 16 years old play very limited minutes), having the best professional trainers and skill development coaches.

It is time, let 's tweet, post on facebook, push the idea out there. Thank you for supporting Canadian Skill Development and Advancement System

hockeyanalyst99

Dec 22, 2017

This is a great idea to develop 15 and 16 years old kid nationally as we are falling behind compared the Fins and Americans. Add some marketing name, we should call it the National Development Academy, have the kids play against junior B levels. Then, when they turn 17, they can decide to go the CHL , NCAA, or Swiss Elite route. We are falling behind in terms of developing players ' skating and puck carrying skills. Marketing baits are that this does not affect CHL teams( 16 years old play very limited minutes), having the best professional trainers and skill development coaches.

It is time, let 's tweet, post on facebook, push the idea out there. Thank you for supporting Canadian Skill Development and Advancement System

hockeyanalyst99

Dec 22, 2017
Hi Everone

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
There are some soccer development models I'd like to see Hockey Canada take a look at, particularly some of the things that Spain and Belgium have done. This has been a poor decade for Canadian talent and though plenty have ignored it due to Canada's dominance at the senior level, the players drafted from 2003-2010 are getting old.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Hi Everone

We are not falling behind, a few other countries are catching up.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
There are some soccer development models I'd like to see Hockey Canada take a look at, particularly some of the things that Spain and Belgium have done. This has been a poor decade for Canadian talent and though plenty have ignored it due to Canada's dominance at the senior level, the players drafted from 2003-2010 are getting old.
McDavid, MacKinnon, Barzal, Marner, Chabot, Point not high end enough? We're still pumping out some great players, but other countries are doing more too. Most recent draft looked pretty good for our future with studs like Dach, Cozens, and Byram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad