WJC: 2020 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Hayton and Dach seem the most likeliest to stay in the NHL for the full year. Dobson seems unlikely to crack the top 6 of the Islanders. Veleno is somehow in the AHL, he can't play there the whole season so the Red Wings may send him late as possible.

Byram, Smith, Harley, and Bahl is a loaded left side. Bernard-Docker, Schneider/Barron, Woo isn't a bad right-side either. Maybe Corcoran from the OHL, he's a sneaky good RD. I don't want to see Korczak on big ice.

Forward group is tougher to judge. Super Series rosters should come out soon, then it becomes clearer.

Rodrigue looks like the #1.

Reactions: LDN

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Hayton and Dach seem the most likeliest to stay in the NHL for the full year. Dobson seems unlikely to crack the top 6 of the Islanders. Veleno is somehow in the AHL, he can't play there the whole season so the Red Wings may send him late as possible.

Byram, Smith, Harley, and Bahl is a loaded left side. Bernard-Docker, Schneider/Barron, Woo isn't a bad right-side either. Maybe Corcoran from the OHL, he's a sneaky good RD. I don't want to see Korczak on big ice.

Forward group is tougher to judge. Super Series rosters should come out soon, then it becomes clearer.

Rodrigue looks like the #1.

Veleno played 4 years of junior due to his exceptional status, which allows the player to play in the AHL under the CHL/NHL transfer agreement. He will be in the AHL all year if he isn’t called up to the Wings.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yes, I fully expect to see Veleno at the WJC camp and tournament provided that he's healthy. If Dobson is sent to junior then that's a strong group of defencemen.

LiamMac

Feb 19, 2015
Early look
1.png

Reactions: Mikeshane

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yep. Realistically we need to include this kind of depth to account for injuries/NHL. This group will be able to beat anyone depending on goaltending, with a much better D group than last year.
Yeah, depending on goaltending, which has usually been letting us down for over a decade now and I don't have any faith about this year concerning that either.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
any possible physical players that will make the squad? last year had Comtois.
Foote, Dach, and Groulx seem like the most likeliest to get physical.

The forward group... concerns me a little when I see Foudy and Noel on 2nd line wings. Those guys usually aren't the skill guys for Canada, Foudy's production is meh, Noel is a good complimentary piece. Don''t get me wrong, they both still make the team. Tomasino and McMichael are off to hot starts in the OHL, 1st rounders too. They'll force their way onto the team as 18 year olds like Robert Thomas in 2018.

Lafrenirere-Veleno-Dach
Foote-Hayton-Tomasino
Foudy-Cozens-Noel
McMichael-Dellandrea-Thomas
Lavoie/Newhook

There's a lot of speed in that forward group and the tournament is on big ice which makes it even more important. 1st rounders and speed should bode well for this roster. You can make a checking line like HC loves revolving around Cozens or Dellandrea.

Reactions: LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Foote, Dach, and Groulx seem like the most likeliest to get physical.

The forward group... concerns me a little when I see Foudy and Noel on 2nd line wings. Those guys usually aren't the skill guys for Canada, Foudy's production is meh, Noel is a good complimentary piece. Don''t get me wrong, they both still make the team. Tomasino and McMichael are off to hot starts in the OHL, 1st rounders too. They'll force their way onto the team as 18 year olds like Robert Thomas in 2018.

Lafrenirere-Veleno-Dach
Foote-Hayton-Tomasino
Foudy-Cozens-Noel
McMichael-Dellandrea-Thomas
Lavoie/Newhook

There's a lot of speed in that forward group and the tournament is on big ice which makes it even more important. 1st rounders and speed should bode well for this roster. You can make a checking line like HC loves revolving around Cozens or Dellandrea.
I think Byfield makes it

Reactions: LainePeg

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
nonsense. The only result of this would be the U17 team winning the U17 tournament a few more times and will not have the result you seem to think it will on Canada wide skill development. and hothousing a particular age group is hardly a new idea or innovation.

What needs to happen is CHL teams to play less and practice more. 68 game schedule is just too much.

more urgent reforms are needed in age groups novice to bantam.

and who in Canada calls it academies? How very European of you. somehow I doubt you have much of a vested interest in Canadian hockey development.
Burnaby Hockey Academy, Pacific Hockey Academy, Rink Hockey Academy and a few others say hi.
Canadian Sport School Hockey League (Design, Hosting, Online Registration & Administration tools by esportsdesk.com)

Reactions: hockeyanalyst99

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
It's sad when people go so far out of their way to try and prove their points on a friggin forum lol

Anyways, as for my contribution to the thread topic, I think Byfield makes it for sure and plays a significant role. He's been so damn dominant this season, strides ahead of most of his competition. For my hometown team, Hunter Jones looks like a top CHL goalie so far, so he should be a lock for at least the top 3. Declan Chisholm should be a top 10 (potential to be a top 5) defender in the OHL but has looked a little shaky so far, so he's a big question mark.

I think this year will be decided by our defence, who is available to play (Dobson, Smith, etc.) and also not having so many one dimensional players. It will be nice to have some sweet scorers, but they need to have some big bodies like Byfield, Serron Noel, Nolan Foote, etc. so that they can have some more compete if they get down in games

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It's sad when people go so far out of their way to try and prove their points on a friggin forum lol

Anyways, as for my contribution to the thread topic, I think Byfield makes it for sure and plays a significant role. He's been so damn dominant this season, strides ahead of most of his competition. For my hometown team, Hunter Jones looks like a top CHL goalie so far, so he should be a lock for at least the top 3. Declan Chisholm should be a top 10 (potential to be a top 5) defender in the OHL but has looked a little shaky so far, so he's a big question mark.

I think this year will be decided by our defence, who is available to play (Dobson, Smith, etc.) and also not having so many one dimensional players. It will be nice to have some sweet scorers, but they need to have some big bodies like Byfield, Serron Noel, Nolan Foote, etc. so that they can have some more compete if they get down in games

For Byfield, I'm thinking that it could be helpful that the coach comes from the OHL. I think that the Super Series will be big for him. I hope that he gets in both games.

Reactions: Bag Headed Hab Fan

GoldenKnight

Jun 2, 2017
Las Vegas
Hayton was kept out of Coyotes first two games. Getting a look tonight but to me it's a sign his NHL season is still far from certain.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Hayton was kept out of Coyotes first two games. Getting a look tonight but to me it's a sign his NHL season is still far from certain.
This didn’t age well. A point in his first game, covered the ice so well. Strong physically. 3rd star and awarded the new Player of the game hat. I wouldn’t count on him being available.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I watched the Arizona game as well and Hayton did look pretty good. I wouldn't rule him out of the tournament yet but he shouldn't be expected either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad