WJC: 2020 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I think you can count on Smith, Hayton and Byram being in the NHL. I think Dobson is sent back and captains the side.

Lafreniere-Veleno-Thomas
Krebs-Cozens-Dach
Foudy-Dellandrea-Lavoie
Foote-Groulx-Noel
Newhook

McIsaac-Dobson
Tychnonick-Bernard Docker
Diliberatore-Addison
Harley

Rodrigue
Jones

Forwards are great, right shot defensemen are great, left side of the defense is questionable and goalie is bad. This team could compete for Gold, but they might have to do it by winning 6-5.
Do you think Byram will stick for the whole season though?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Byram could stick but they don’t really need him to. The Avs also have a ton of defensemen signed, though none are good enough to keep them from talking themselves into keeping him. If I had to bet the plan is to send Byram back so unless he just dominates preseason I think they keep their plan. Sakic values international experience highly and I think the Avs feel it’s important for Byram to play in this tournament.

Reactions: jj cale

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Byfield’s on ice performance was objectively worse than all of them last season. He may one day be better than most of them, but right now he is too young and not good enough for a top 6 role, unless a massive amount of Canadian players are unavailable.

Bahl is a darkhorse to make the team for me in a bottom pairing role, I could see it happening.

Well Byfield plays a 200 ft game so I dont see why he would have to be a top 6 player. I think if you watched him you would know that.

Mcshane was certainly not better than him last year, especially come playoff time. Byfield was a force both ways in the playoffs. When he isnt scoring he is still hounding the puck and forchecks very very hard.

Bahl is also an animal, great skater, solid first pass and closes gaps very quickly. Would be a good match for a high octane offensive partner. I dont see how in any situation Tychonik makes it over him.

Reactions: Dominance

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Im sure he is, but unless he absolutely torches the OHL hes not going to make the World Junior team as a draft eligible U18 player, HC does things that way.

Agreed, but if they dont start changing the mindset of simply taking the best players just like Sweden, Finland USA etc then Canada will continue to fall behind at this level.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Well Byfield plays a 200 ft game so I dont see why he would have to be a top 6 player. I think if you watched him you would know that.

Mcshane was certainly not better than him last year, especially come playoff time. Byfield was a force both ways in the playoffs. When he isnt scoring he is still hounding the puck and forchecks very very hard.

Bahl is also an animal, great skater, solid first pass and closes gaps very quickly. Would be a good match for a high octane offensive partner. I dont see how in any situation Tychonik makes it over him.

Byfield will be in tough. Theyre already going to have one draft eligible player playing a huge role and Canada definitely doesnt like taking a lot of the younger guys. Byfield will have to come out hot and hope a few guys stick in the NHL for him to have a real chance.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How did you come to this conclusion? Just curious.

They’ve subtracted from their blue line, but added to their forward group. That would seem to suggest they expect their prospects to step into their lineup on defense. They seem to be making a push to contend next season a lot more than the last one where they barely made the playoffs, so the lack of blue line additions would make you think they are expecting Byram and Makar to step into regular roles.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They’ve subtracted from their blue line, but added to their forward group. That would seem to suggest they expect their prospects to step into their lineup on defense. They seem to be making a push to contend next season a lot more than the last one where they barely made the playoffs, so the lack of blue line additions would make you think they are expecting Byram and Makar to step into regular roles.
Ok thought you may have some specific information rather than your own personal opinion. With such an important highly touted prospect I dont think they have him penciled in, personally id imagine its a wait and see approach based on his training camp. Given how well Makars development has gone by taking their time id be suprised if he plays this year. There is no rush.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Byfield will be in tough. Theyre already going to have one draft eligible player playing a huge role and Canada definitely doesnt like taking a lot of the younger guys. Byfield will have to come out hot and hope a few guys stick in the NHL for him to have a real chance.
This is a mind set that has to change for Canada if they dont want to fall too far behind at this level.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
This is a mind set that has to change for Canada if they dont want to fall too far behind at this level.

A lot of times though it isnt that far fetched. Yes Byfield is extremely good but so are a lot of other players 2 years older than him. If Hayton and Veleno are both there, Byfield is playing a bottom 6 role because those guys are better than him right now for a top 6 role. Then you have a guy like Dellandrea who might or might not be better right now but might be better in a bottom 6 role. Byfield right now is a below point per game OHL player.

I would expect him to take a massive step next year but its premature to say he for sure needs to be on this team until we see the start of his season

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
A lot of times though it isnt that far fetched. Yes Byfield is extremely good but so are a lot of other players 2 years older than him. If Hayton and Veleno are both there, Byfield is playing a bottom 6 role because those guys are better than him right now for a top 6 role. Then you have a guy like Dellandrea who might or might not be better right now but might be better in a bottom 6 role. Byfield right now is a below point per game OHL player.

I would expect him to take a massive step next year but its premature to say he for sure needs to be on this team until we see the start of his season

In Byfields last 40 games in the OHL, playoffs included he had 48 points. Takes a little time for players to get aclimatized and it was on the worst team in the OHL where he was the main focal point for the defense, he had a great season. He is a superstar talent, id take him over Hayton right now (I really dont like Haytons game). Byfield already uses his linemates way better and is a physical force both ways. Centers with high hockey iq's can also easily switch to the wing. Its time for Canada to start taking the best players, over analysing the situation has hurt the Jr program, take the high end talent.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
In Byfields last 40 games in the OHL, playoffs included he had 48 points. Takes a little time for players to get aclimatized and it was on the worst team in the OHL where he was the main focal point for the defense, he had a great season. He is a superstar talent, id take him over Hayton right now (I really dont like Haytons game). Byfield already uses his linemates way better and is a physical force both ways. Centers with high hockey iq's can also easily switch to the wing. Its time for Canada to start taking the best players, over analysing the situation has hurt the Jr program, take the high end talent.
IMO Byfield is dominant because of his physical development. He has a good shot and isn't afraid to use it. He is not, however what one would call a smart or creative player.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
IMO Byfield is dominant because of his physical development. He has a good shot and isn't afraid to use it. He is not, however what one would call a smart or creative player.

The way he has used his linemates this tournament would say you are incorrect.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
He's been quite creative this tournament so far and has involved his teammates very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad