WJC: 2020 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Doesn't play the same way at all.

more like Jumbo Joe. for me anyway.

and I hope he makes the Christmas team. as neither he or Lafreniere will be available for the Edmonton/Red Deer tournament. It's a shame that they won't be there to delight the home crowd.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
more like Jumbo Joe. for me anyway.

and I hope he makes the Christmas team. as neither he or Lafreniere will be available for the Edmonton/Red Deer tournament. It's a shame that they won't be there to delight the home crowd.
I think he has more of a nose for the net then Joe does but yes he is closer to him in play style then Lindros.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
In Byfields last 40 games in the OHL, playoffs included he had 48 points. Takes a little time for players to get aclimatized and it was on the worst team in the OHL where he was the main focal point for the defense, he had a great season. He is a superstar talent, id take him over Hayton right now (I really dont like Haytons game). Byfield already uses his linemates way better and is a physical force both ways. Centers with high hockey iq's can also easily switch to the wing. Its time for Canada to start taking the best players, over analysing the situation has hurt the Jr program, take the high end talent.
What don't you like about Hayton's game? I thought he was easily one of our best forwards last year and improved as the tournament progressed. Smart, good shot, uses his linemates, and responsible in his own end. What's not to like?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What don't you like about Hayton's game? I thought he was easily one of our best forwards last year and improved as the tournament progressed. Smart, good shot, uses his linemates, and responsible in his own end. What's not to like?

I feel like we were watching different players. He didnt use his linemates at all and rendered his line useless offensively. Hogged the puck, always made the extra move. Elite individual skill was obviously there but man he just never passed. Even his assist in the elimination game was him getting stripped and the puck luckily going to his teamate.

I am sure he can learn from it, he is a young player with lots of development to go.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Doesn't play the same way at all.

He hounds the puck, and forchecks very hard just doesnt lay the body in the same way. I dont think he plays like Thornton though he is a much more powerful skater, not as good vision.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'll only mention Oiler prospects...

I think Rodrigue has the inside track on the starter's role. While it's hard to win a spot based on a nothing summer tournament, if you can lose one, Ellis just lost one. Tough performance.

Nice to see Lavoie pencilled into a lot of mocks. I think he had a pretty solid tournament. It'll be interesting to see how he develops. I could see him turning into anything from a top line stud to a mediocre bottom sixer.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
He hounds the puck, and forchecks very hard just doesnt lay the body in the same way. I dont think he plays like Thornton though he is a much more powerful skater, not as good vision.
Well, he's a huge kid with nice hands and seems to be often looking to set up his teammates, that is similar to Thornton imo, but yeah, miles better skater.However, The way he dances around the zone with the puck reminds me of Malkin.

I guess he's just Quinton Byfield.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
I feel like we were watching different players. He didnt use his linemates at all and rendered his line useless offensively. Hogged the puck, always made the extra move. Elite individual skill was obviously there but man he just never passed. Even his assist in the elimination game was him getting stripped and the puck luckily going to his teamate.

I am sure he can learn from it, he is a young player with lots of development to go.
For the record, I see the same player WooTangClan does.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

I think Rodrigue has the inside track on the starter's role. While it's hard to win a spot based on a nothing summer tournament, if you can lose one, Ellis just lost one. Tough performance.

Nice to see Lavoie pencilled into a lot of mocks. I think he had a pretty solid tournament. It'll be interesting to see how he develops. I could see him turning into anything from a top line stud to a mediocre bottom sixer.
I personally have a hard time seeing Lavoie making the team in the bottom 6. If he isn't good enough to make it with a role in the top 6 he could end up cut. But I think his offensive tools will end up being to much to pass up regardless and he does get an offensive role.

Reactions: Dominance

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well, he's a huge kid with nice hands and seems to be often looking to set up his teammates, that is similar to Thornton imo, but yeah, miles better skater.However, The way he dances around the zone with the puck reminds me of Malkin.

I guess he's just Quinton Byfield.

Touche, he has alot going for him.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I personally have a hard time seeing Lavoie making the team in the bottom 6. If he isn't good enough to make it with a role in the top 6 he could end up cut. But I think his offensive tools will end up being to much to pass up regardless and he does get an offensive role.

Hard to say. Canada has a long and storied history of making dumb decisions with forwards - leaving the talented offensive guys at home in favour of “safer” 200 foot players. It usually bites us in the ass. I do think he’s one of the 13 best Canadian forwards in his age group.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Hard to say. Canada has a long and storied history of making dumb decisions with forwards - leaving the talented offensive guys at home in favour of “safer” 200 foot players. It usually bites us in the ass. I do think he’s one of the 13 best Canadian forwards in his age group.

Agreed he should absolutely be on the team, they need to stop over analysing and start bringing the most talented players.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Agreed he should absolutely be on the team, they need to stop over analysing and start bringing the most talented players.
We will be missing guys as always, if he plays really well out of the gate this year I think he will get real consideration.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
In Byfields last 40 games in the OHL, playoffs included he had 48 points. Takes a little time for players to get aclimatized and it was on the worst team in the OHL where he was the main focal point for the defense, he had a great season. He is a superstar talent, id take him over Hayton right now (I really dont like Haytons game). Byfield already uses his linemates way better and is a physical force both ways. Centers with high hockey iq's can also easily switch to the wing. Its time for Canada to start taking the best players, over analysing the situation has hurt the Jr program, take the high end talent.

Byfield is not close to Hayton right now.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

Ellis literally had a rough 30 minutes...in one game...in the summer. Thankfully Team Canada does not make cuts based off one half game in a summer tournament.

Ellis did have a much better year than Rodrigue did last season though. That carries much more weight than a single summertime game.

What will matter most though is how each player performs in the first 3 months of their CHL seasons. Ultimately the next 3 months will decide who goes to the Czech Republic, and who stays home.

Last edited:

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012

I think what gets blurred is that taking the most talented players, doesn’t always mean taking the guys that will be the best NHLers but instead the best junior players right now. I think a lot of times people forget this and see an NHL players draft position/ranking and immediately want a player on the team because of it but that doesn’t mean they’re better than a lower drafted or less touted player is right now. Building this team is about taking the best junior aged players, NHL potential has no bearing on this.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I think Barron and Schneider have proven they are ready to play on this team especially if we don't get Byram. These guys are mobile, two-way, and physical defencemen with size. I could see them having a similar impact with players like Timmins, smothering defensively. On the left side, Harley has taken reigns as the guy to replace Byram but Bahl and Delibratore have impressed me the most after. When you consider it is on big ice, these guys are mobile even if Bahl is 6'6. He was forechecking at times with so much confidence.

The most impressive fact about the Lafreniere-Veleno-Dach line is how hard they backcheck and they seem to buy into the system. We do need a 2nd line but I'm not sure if Foote/Thomas/Newhook are those players, I think the 2nd line will have to come from the players injured (Cozens, Krebs, Dellandrea, and Hayton).

Foote can be a monster down low if you let him drive a 3rd or 4th line. Thomas is a valuable sparkplug, I think he made himself a lock for the bottom 6. These players give me confidence in secondary scoring as well as players who didn't even participate.

Reactions: Dominance

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
with Hlinka in the books on to the U20s we go...and unless Byfield is having a truly dominant season leading up to Dec 12 camp, I'll have to say he's out of the picture for now. let's check back on him again in mid November.

Lafreniere Veleno Dach
Krebs Hayton Cozens
Fortier Foudy Lavoir
Foote Dellendrea Thomas

Tracey or Perfetti as the 13th.F.

Bowen Dobson
Smith Bernard-Docker
Harley Woo
Bahl

Ellis
Gravel
Rodrigue

As usual I'm not interested in making assumptions as to who will/won't be available. We'll just have to deal with that mid December.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad