WJC: 2020 Canada Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I hope you're right, it's not what I have been hearing. We need Hayton IMO.

I’m not predicting one way or the other where he will play. I’m just saying they will make their decision in training camp based on how ready they feel he is at that time. Personally I hope he gets 9 games and then sent back to the OHL. Really feel that’s best for his development, ala Cody Glass last year, but time will tell.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I’m not predicting one way or the other where he will play. I’m just saying they will make their decision in training camp based on how ready they feel he is at that time. Personally I hope he gets 9 games and then sent back to the OHL. Really feel that’s best for his development, ala Cody Glass last year, but time will tell.
Yeah, I guess so. I so want a strong team next year, I still have a bitter taste in my mouth from last years performance, it was so God awful.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Here’s my best case scenario lineup, if everyone is healthy and available, with handedness taken into account:

Lafreniere - Hayton - Thomas
Foudy - Veleno - Noel
Fortier - Dach - Cozens
Groulx - Dellandrea - Laferriere
(Krebs)

Smith - Dobson
McIsaac - Bernard-Docker
Byram - Addison
(Woo)

Ellis
Gravel

I chose Laferriere for the 4th line over McBain and Allan McShane since he has better foot speed than those two, which will be a big factor on the big ice. If Krebs makes a faster than expected recovery and takes another step in his development by December, I could see him force someone like Laferriere out of the lineup though (Dellandrea is a right shot and can play RW as well).

All in all a fantastic team and the gold medal favourite, even on European ice.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
I was just checking the IIHF site and discovered the schedule is out. Was I the only one who didn't realize this? Anyways Canada opens against the US on boxing day and then on the 28 play Russia. Which really sucks playing against our two toughest opponents with no lead in.
We play on new years eve against the Czechs since their the host team they get to pick the schedule so I guess their marquee opponent is us, personally I thought it would be Russia but oh well.

Oleksiak

Jun 12, 2019
Victoria, BC
I was just checking the IIHF site and discovered the schedule is out. Was I the only one who didn't realize this? Anyways Canada opens against the US on boxing day and then on the 28 play Russia. Which really sucks playing against our two toughest opponents with no lead in.
We play on new years eve against the Czechs since their the host team they get to pick the schedule so I guess their marquee opponent is us, personally I thought it would be Russia but oh well.
To be honest I'd rather get the wake up call early than allow the kids to slip into bad habits against a cupcake.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Here’s my best case scenario lineup, if everyone is healthy and available, with handedness taken into account:

Foudy - Veleno - Noel
Fortier - Dach - Cozens
(Krebs)

Smith - Dobson
McIsaac - Bernard-Docker
Byram - Addison
(Woo)

Ellis
Gravel

I chose Laferriere for the 4th line over McBain and Allan McShane since he has better foot speed than those two, which will be a big factor on the big ice. If Krebs makes a faster than expected recovery and takes another step in his development by December, I could see him force someone like Laferriere out of the lineup though (Dellandrea is a right shot and can play RW as well).

No Newhook and a third pairing role for Byram? It could be accurate, but Canada should use them both now, because I think it is a good bet that neither is available for 2021.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
To be honest I'd rather get the wake up call early than allow the kids to slip into bad habits against a cupcake.
Yeah, They may as well play tough teams right off the hop.

If they are a good team they will acquit themselves well and work out kinks right off the bat by playing them. It's good they will be tested early.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
No Newhook and a third pairing role for Byram? It could be accurate, but Canada should use them both now, because I think it is a good bet that neither is available for 2021.

I agree but for Newhook his hockey Canada karma just isn't that great.....

Bryam has emerged as a top pairing Dman for this team IMO.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

Newhook has a very good chance to make the team, especially since at least a few of the players on my version of the team will likely be injured or unavailable.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Looking like the top line as of now is going to be Laf, Veleno and Dach. They torched the US yesterday and I like that combination of players. They all provide a little bit of a different skill set but all high end at what they do. Likely the top line in the tourney unless maybe Hughes is back (but I doubt he is). I think the captaincy comes down to Veleno or Ty Smith given their history with Canada, the seasons they just had and roles they will likely play next year.

Also hope McIsaac is back in time, he had a dominant season for having an injury for half of it. He would help and provides a different skill set to a lot of the players on the defense

Reactions: Dominance

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
No real chance brayden tracey or connor mcmichael make the team until 2021?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Foudy - Veleno - Noel
Fortier - Dach - Cozens
(Krebs)

Smith - Dobson
McIsaac - Bernard-Docker
Byram - Addison
(Woo)

Ellis
Gravel

Byfield is much better than three quarters of those canadian forwards right now. Mcshane even considered over him is laughable.

Kevin Bahl will be on this team when its all said and done.

Last edited:

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Byfield is much better than three quarters of those canadian forwards right now. Mcshane even considered over him is laughable.

Im sure he is, but unless he absolutely torches the OHL hes not going to make the World Junior team as a draft eligible U18 player, HC does things that way.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC

Byfield’s on ice performance was objectively worse than all of them last season. He may one day be better than most of them, but right now he is too young and not good enough for a top 6 role, unless a massive amount of Canadian players are unavailable.

Bahl is a darkhorse to make the team for me in a bottom pairing role, I could see it happening.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Zadina was doing well in Grand Rapids and the Wings released him, I think they will do the same for Veleno.

I also think that the Yotes will keep Hayton in junior as they have enough NHL centers that are young plus might be a player for Matthews.

In all likelihood they'd send him, but GR will be a lot different this year than last year.

GR last year was Zadina, rotation of Cholo and Hronek, and a bunch of lifers. This year, they could potentially maybe even likely have Zadina, Veleno, Rasmussen, Cholowski, and Seider. That's a potential Calder Cup run.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
In all likelihood they'd send him, but GR will be a lot different this year than last year.

GR last year was Zadina, rotation of Cholo and Hronek, and a bunch of lifers. This year, they could potentially maybe even likely have Zadina, Veleno, Rasmussen, Cholowski, and Seider. That's a potential Calder Cup run.

It's way too early to predict any Calder run for any team becasue if all of these players are that good they might be playing in the NHL.

Also not sure Seider playing in the AHL is the best option but who knows where he plays next season.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
NHL Hayton, Smith

Lafreniere Dach Veleno
Krebs Newhook Cozens
Noel Thomas Lavoie
Foudy Dellandrea Foote
Tomasino

Byram Dobson
Mcissac Bernard-Docker
Harley Woo
Addison

Rodrigue
Jones

Reactions: Get North

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
Rodrigue
Jones

I would not hand Rodrigue the reigns based on literally 60-90 minutes of sloppy summer hockey. That's how much the goalies played at this WJSS, as they all split games.

As for Jones, he was a distant 4th best last season of the guys at camp, and what amounts to basically one good hockey game shouldn't move him that far up the totem pole (or other guys that far down).

Both starter and backup jobs still seem to be completely up in the air though. The first 3 months of next season will decide everything, IMO.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
I would not hand Rodrigue the reigns based on literally 60-90 minutes of sloppy summer hockey. That's how much the goalies played at this WJSS, as they all split games.

As for Jones, he was a distant 4th best last season of the guys at camp, and what amounts to basically one good hockey game shouldn't move him that far up the totem pole (or other guys that far down).

Both starter and backup jobs still seem to be completely up in the air though. The first 3 months of next season will decide everything, IMO.

I agree with this sentiment, but I don’t think most are basing this projection off of the Summer Showcase exclusively.

Rodrigue has been the go-to goaltender for Canada in this age group. He’s represented Canada at the Youth Olympic Games, U-17, U-18 and Ivan Hlinka (the latter two he put up stellar numbers). There may certainly be others that challenge him but, based on his history with Hockey Canada, he’s almost certainly the favourite to start at this point in time.

Reactions: SpoolCat

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
I agree with this sentiment, but I don’t think most are basing this projection off of the Summer Showcase exclusively.

Rodrigue has been the go-to goaltender for Canada in this age group. He’s represented Canada at the Youth Olympic Games, U-17, U-18 and Ivan Hlinka (the latter two he put up stellar numbers). There may certainly be others that challenge him but, based on his history with Hockey Canada, he’s almost certainly the favourite to start at this point in time.

I agree Rodrigue was very good at the U18 level, he just never took that next step at the U20 level. The last 2 years in the Q, his level of play has stagnated. He is also a little undersized. I hope he takes the next step this year, but at this stage Canada's other goaltenders have caught up to him for me.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think you can count on Smith, Hayton and Byram being in the NHL. I think Dobson is sent back and captains the side.

Lafreniere-Veleno-Thomas
Krebs-Cozens-Dach
Foudy-Dellandrea-Lavoie
Foote-Groulx-Noel
Newhook

McIsaac-Dobson
Tychnonick-Bernard Docker
Diliberatore-Addison
Harley

Rodrigue
Jones

Forwards are great, right shot defensemen are great, left side of the defense is questionable and goalie is bad. This team could compete for Gold, but they might have to do it by winning 6-5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->