Buffalo Bills 2020 Buffalo Bills Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
That articles reasoning was dumb. They mention the close bills games and how the Bills point differential is due to the end of the year blow outs. It doesn’t factor in the Bills fixed their half time adjustments so the third quarter meltdown was gone.

Also mentioned oline will get hit in FA but it shouldn’t be too bad.

Will they do 13-3 with a 1 schedule? Probably not, but doubtful they drop a ton.

Agreed. And their SOS can't get much worse than what they faced this year. They had the only SOS above .500 of ANY playoff team and the 2nd highest strength of victory of any team that won more than 2 games.

This was not the 15-1 bears. They earned that 13-3 record in impressive fashion.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
That articles reasoning was dumb. They mention the close bills games and how the Bills point differential is due to the end of the year blow outs. It doesn’t factor in the Bills fixed their half time adjustments so the third quarter meltdown was gone.

Also mentioned oline will get hit in FA but it shouldn’t be too bad.

Will they do 13-3 with a 1 schedule? Probably not, but doubtful they drop a ton.

Daryl Williams is simply a must sign. So is Milano TBH but i have Williams even ahead of him.

I don't care what sacrifices you have to make elsewhere. There are 3 main reasons why the O has exploded & the performance of the OL is certainly one of them.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Daryl Williams is simply a must sign. So is Milano TBH but i have Williams even ahead of him.

I don't care what sacrifices you have to make elsewhere. There are 3 main reasons why the O has exploded & the performance of the OL is certainly one of them.

Bills stole Williams. He was cheap because of the unknown on his injury but only paying a guy a bit over 2 million when he has played like a 12-14 million dollar player is the kind of value find that gets you into a game like Sunday.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

they can’t resign everyone. Choices need to be made.
Thrm winning a SB also matters because it might be easier letting some high veterans go.

from a core structure of salaried players, finding and keeping 2 OTs is critical. Interior lineman are easier to find.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
they can’t resign everyone. Choices need to be made.
Thrm winning a SB also matters because it might be easier letting some high veterans go.

from a core structure of salaried players, finding and keeping 2 OTs is critical. Interior lineman are easier to find.

Just my opinion and I could be totally wrong, but I feel the interior line is more about scheme fit than talent. Wyatt Teller isn’t what he is in Cleveland here.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Bills stole Williams. He was cheap because of the unknown on his injury but only paying a guy a bit over 2 million when he has played like a 12-14 million dollar player is the kind of value find that gets you into a game like Sunday.
Agreed. Beane has done a marvelous job finding cheap but effective talent. It bodes well for the future when we're up against the cap due to signing Allen. That being said, I think we need to do whatever we can to keep Williams unless he's looking for an insane contract. Bye, bye John Brown (if need be). Tackles are so f***ing valuable in this league.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

EmeraldCitySabre

Yeah, we've got uniforms and everything....
Apr 10, 2010
The Claw
That’s cute, ESPN+ predicts dolphins will win the division next year.

In the words of Liam Neeson, good luck.

I had to roll my eyes when I read this article, ESPN has been doubting the Bills for the past 2 years and they're already doubting them for next year. They put way too much faith in Tua and calling for the Bills to go from 13-3 to 10-6 or 11-5 against a comparable schedule as this years is ridiculous. I know the Fins have some high draft picks, but these picks aren't going to put them over the top right away. After what the Bills have done this year, I don't see how anyone can pick against them in the AFC East, especially with how badly we destroyed Miami in week 17, resting our starters while they were fighting for their playoff lives.

Reactions: Amorgus

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I had to roll my eyes when I read this article, ESPN has been doubting the Bills for the past 2 years and they're already doubting them for next year. They put way too much faith in Tua and calling for the Bills to go from 13-3 to 10-6 or 11-5 against a comparable schedule as this years is ridiculous. I know the Fins have some high draft picks, but these picks aren't going to put them over the top right away. After what the Bills have done this year, I don't see how anyone can pick against them in the AFC East, especially with how badly we destroyed Miami in week 17, resting our starters while they were fighting for their playoff lives.

There is a very good reason why you constantly hear the same cliches and seemingly dumb takes from most of the sports media. It's easy.

For most of the 'contributors' who are just guests on other shows, there is a simple formula. Don't say anything exceptionally controversial that could get you fired, and collect checks. That's it. They're not watching hours of tape, they're not looking at stats, they're not doing deep dives into matchups. They're doing the absolute minimum amount of work possible.

If you really pay attention you can start to see the ones who aren't dummies, and who are actually doing work to try to understand a thing, because they actually enjoy doing it, and the money is secondary. Everyone else is just noise.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Just my opinion and I could be totally wrong, but I feel the interior line is more about scheme fit than talent. Wyatt Teller isn’t what he is in Cleveland here.

In football unlike other sports—fitting a system is what matters. There have bern numerous examples in the league of free agent/trade flops where the new player either had gotten a big benefit based on role played that made him look like the star or they aren’t as good because the system is different or they don’t have the quality there that did things that don’t show up in the stats.

the closest thing in hockey is a line that clicks that seems to be worth more than the sum of its parts.

in football fining pro tackles is very difficult. Many tackles end up being interior lineman. Then you have others likeJason Peters who was a TE conversion and development project.

on defense it’s difficult to find the grade A brucesmith pass rusher. With many teams pass rush relies on scenes like blitzing or stunts or overloading one side with rushers or concealing which 4-5 out of the 9 on the line at the snap will rush.

ilike Milano but I feel he can be replaced via draft Or a free agent back up who was stuck behind a starter.

the players on a team that get high money are QB. 2 OTs, WR #1, CB #2, pass rusher ( de or OLB) and MLB/DT. From there you might have 2 others that are very good ( one on each side). If these roles are filled by early contracts you can use money elsewhere.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Agreed. Beane has done a marvelous job finding cheap but effective talent. It bodes well for the future when we're up against the cap due to signing Allen. That being said, I think we need to do whatever we can to keep Williams unless he's looking for an insane contract. Bye, bye John Brown (if need be). Tackles are so f***ing valuable in this league.

I have Brown at the top of the list for realistic cut candidates.

FWIW i have Milano right up with Williams in the 'must sign' category.

I don't think he is an easily replaceable player at all. The few stud 'do it all' LBers tend to go very early in the draft. Off the top of my head there are no glaring UFAs out there who could replace what he does.

For me - you sign these two before doing anything else this offseason. Obviously Allen's extension will be the headline but I'm sure that gets resolved in due course.

I'm not even thinking about any outside UFAs & I'm cutting anyone else necessary to ensure Williams/Milano are around long term.

I'm also adding Micah Hyde to the list. Hoping he gets a Poyer-type extension.

Reactions: Dubi Doo

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
There is a very good reason why you constantly hear the same cliches and seemingly dumb takes from most of the sports media. It's easy.

For most of the 'contributors' who are just guests on other shows, there is a simple formula. Don't say anything exceptionally controversial that could get you fired, and collect checks. That's it. They're not watching hours of tape, they're not looking at stats, they're not doing deep dives into matchups. They're doing the absolute minimum amount of work possible.

If you really pay attention you can start to see the ones who aren't dummies, and who are actually doing work to try to understand a thing, because they actually enjoy doing it, and the money is secondary. Everyone else is just noise.
No better example locally than Joe Buscaglia vs. Mike Harrington. One puts in work. One relies on cliches and views formed in the 80s and 90s that haven't changed and does no real analysis.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

Applies to all facets of life, not just sports media/commentary.

Reactions: SackTastic

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
KC are favourites for me with a somewhat healthy Mahomes - but it will be a close run thing. 60/40 at worst. Bills have EVERY chance.

The NFC game should be a belter too - I'm looking forward to watching that one as well.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

I've seen some of these guys take opposite stances on different shows -- they just need to keep the conversation going, and they need to have a strong opinion about it to make them compelling to watch. I don't think they actually put a ton of thought into it or care that much.

So it's not that they're "dummies" -- they just need to keep the discussion going, and that's easier when there's two opposing points of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad