Buffalo Bills 2020 Buffalo Bills Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
As I've said before, if we do move on from McKenzie, I hope we replace his gadget role with a speedy RB, not WR. For as useful as he was, that player is much more dynamic if they can comfortably line up in the backfield as well as the slot, and get carries up the middle occasionally when they do. It's something our RB corp has been sorely lacking for years.

When I think of a swiss army knife type of player they tend to be WRs; Samuel, Patterson, Shenault, Aiyuk, Mackenzie... That being said, for that particular role I don't think it matters what position they play so I wouldn't care too much either way, the whole concept is getting an explosive player some touches in space or having a decoy to throw the defense off once in a while. It seems like you're describing Alvin Kamara or Jonathan Taylor, which is much more than a gadget player. Who is an example that you had in mind?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I haven't done any real research for the draft yet but Surtain is a top 15 lock in just about all the mocks I've seen. No way he's available at 30.
Agree re: Surtain's unavailability to BUF. Aside from the obvious high rankings, most coaches of any tenure in the NFL will either know, have coached, or played with his father, and the son will be viewed as a low-risk in terms of professional acclimation / fit. It's like the son has his own full-time personal coach.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
Draft order question...

I see we are 30 and GB is 29. With them having been #1 in the NFC, and is both losing the the conference championship game, wouldn’t it be reversed?

Not that it makes a huge difference that late in the draft but I’m just curious as to why it is how it is.

sabrefan71

Jun 15, 2006
Draft order question...

I see we are 30 and GB is 29. With them having been #1 in the NFC, and is both losing the the conference championship game, wouldn’t it be reversed?

Not that it makes a huge difference that late in the draft but I’m just curious as to why it is how it is.
The Bills pick behind Green Bay because Buffalo had a more difficult strength of schedule.

Reactions: Mike McDermott

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
When I think of a swiss army knife type of player they tend to be WRs; Samuel, Patterson, Shenault, Aiyuk, Mackenzie... That being said, for that particular role I don't think it matters what position they play so I wouldn't care too much either way, the whole concept is getting an explosive player some touches in space or having a decoy to throw the defense off once in a while. It seems like you're describing Alvin Kamara or Jonathan Taylor, which is much more than a gadget player. Who is an example that you had in mind?
Tarik Cohen, Austin Akeler, Nyheim Hines.

The problem with naming someone is that these players end up being so useful that they often quickly end up being the primary RB on the team. But yeah, someone in these roles.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Tarik Cohen, Austin Akeler, Nyheim Hines.

The problem with naming someone is that these players end up being so useful that they often quickly end up being the primary RB on the team. But yeah, someone in these roles.

Ekeler has turned into an every down guy for LAC.

Cohen would be great but didn't Chicago resign him already?

I think your best chance is going for one of these guys via the draft.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

Cohen signed for 4 years at a reasonable rate ..3 per I think. He then tore his ACL and Montgomery exploded for them with the increased work. With their cap situation, Montgomery becoming a bell cow who can catch, block and run, Montgomery on a rookie deal and being able to grab a guy in a later round who will be on a rookie deal it would make sense for them to see what they could get. I'd start with a 5 and see where it goes

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Cohen signed for 4 years at a reasonable rate ..3 per I think. He then tore his ACL and Montgomery exploded for them with the increased work. With their cap situation, Montgomery becoming a bell cow who can catch, block and run, Montgomery on a rookie deal and being able to grab a guy in a later round who will be on a rookie deal it would make sense for them to see what they could get. I'd start with a 5 and see where it goes

He's a player I really like.

Having just looked it up he has a 3.3m hit with 5.3m dead if they trade him. It's not happening. He's the yang to Montgomery's ying.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
He's a player I really like.

Having just looked it up he has a 3.3m hit with 5.3m dead if they trade him. It's not happening. He's the yang to Montgomery's ying.
Jesus, didn't know they gave him that much of a signing bonus. Prob could work out something post 6/1, since the bonus would be paid it would reduce it a bit.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Draft order question...

sort order in draft

worse record drafts first
Weaker strength of schedule gets higher pick among those with tied records
If still tied...Coin flip/ draw straws among 3+ teams

division order does not matter. One year buf and Mia went I think 5-11. Miami finished 3rd due to h2h but they picked ahead of buffalo.

playoff teams are sorted by elimination round.

1-18 missed playoffs
19-24 eliminated WC weekend
25-28 eliminated divisional round
29-30 eliminated conference championship
31 super bowl loser
32 super bowl winner

each playoff elimination group is sorted the same way

Reactions: Mike McDermott

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Jesus, didn't know they gave him that much of a signing bonus. Prob could work out something post 6/1, since the bonus would be paid it would reduce it a bit.

after 6/1 it’s split over 2 yrs. Brees won’t announce retirement till after that day so he can spread out the dead space over 2 yrs

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Agreed. Those were just examples of guys around the league.

If I were looking to sign a FA RB it would be Matt Breida.

Reactions: truthbluth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad