Speculation: 2020-21 Stars Roster Speculation and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I mean he hasn't had a lot to right about with the recent pauses to both Texas and Dallas.
It's definitely a challenging situation for a new writer to step in but Shapiro added significant value throughout the year- but DeFranks has stepped up big time to fill those shoes.

Stars 20/20 post-game recaps were adopted by Saad and recently trimmed into 10 point recaps. No prospect coverage despite ongoing play in QMJHL and Europe.

The Athletic is still a good deal thanks to all the other great writers but unfortunately the Stars coverage leaves a lot to be desired.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Maybe it's just me, but when we talk about Nill's successes, i.e., Seguin and Spezza trades, we don't mention his signing of Dobby as much. It took Nill a while, but in acquiring Bishop and Dobby, he really fixed the goalie situation that existed for many years. With early returns on Otter, it looks like we may continue, but time will tell.

Dobby wasn't the most popular choice, with Cam Ward I think being the fans choice, and Bernier, Halak, and Hutton signed by other teams for more money. Of interest, his opponent last night, then 24 year old
Chris Driedger, was also a UFA that year and signed a one year contract for $650,000. Seems he is peaking at 26, but that's how it goes for goalies sometimes.

Reactions: Zapp

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Kind of wondering if Pavelski gets burned out at some point. He's 36 and plays first line center with 20+ minutes a night and is heavily used on both sides of special teams and 5on5 .

Seguin is still out for more than a month and Hintz is not very durable. The other forwards who can and play center don't really have the quality to play as much

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
Maybe it's just me, but when we talk about Nill's successes, i.e., Seguin and Spezza trades, we don't mention his signing of Dobby as much. It took Nill a while, but in acquiring Bishop and Dobby, he really fixed the goalie situation that existed for many years. With early returns on Otter, it looks like we may continue, but time will tell.

Dobby wasn't the most popular choice, with Cam Ward I think being the fans choice, and Bernier, Halak, and Hutton signed by other teams for more money. Of interest, his opponent last night, then 24 year old
Chris Driedger, was also a UFA that year and signed a one year contract for $650,000. Seems he is peaking at 26, but that's how it goes for goalies sometimes.

Probably because it took him so long to get it right, his first goalie signing was Dan Ellis, who he then traded for Tim Thomas. The next season he signed Lindback and Rynnas, and then had to trade for Enroth. Then Antti Niemi who ended up getting bought out his last year. Then he traded for Bishop, Lehtonen was the backup which was a solid duo, and then he finally signed Khudobin.

He deserves credit for getting Dobby, but he deserves a ton of criticism for taking so long to do it. Who knows what happens in the 2016 playoffs if we get even average goaltending, we certainly would have beat the Blues.

Reactions: Elysian

serp

Jan 17, 2016
For the first few years after Karis concussion there was still hope he would get back to his old level . Sadly he never did.

Reactions: Henderson33

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Kind of wondering if Pavelski gets burned out at some point. He's 36 and plays first line center with 20+ minutes a night and is heavily used on both sides of special teams and 5on5 .

Seguin is still out for more than a month and Hintz is not very durable. The other forwards who can and play center don't really have the quality to play as much

It’s probably going to happen, but we don’t have much other choice at this moment. Him, Faksa, or Dicky seems like the options those other two sound like a losing recipe.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Maybe an unpopular idea but I'd consider moving Benn back to C. Not ideal but so is Pavelski as 1C. Not worried about his durability...he's done the same for the Sharks. But Pavelski would be much better on the wing, too.

I like Dickinson but he may also be just as good on the wing as he is at C. I like Faksa but there's not a lot of offensive upside. Kero can play 4C if necessary. Dowling is useless and shouldn't play at all at NHL level.

Gotta play Dellandrea. Not on the wing but at Center. How many games did he get at Center? 2? Not many anyways but there's upside there. He's not gonna get any better from sitting in the press box.

Reactions: mazmin

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Allways has been . Pretty sure that also was a knock on him in his draft year and definitely when he still playing in Finland . Supremely talented but not durable.
i always hated the phrase, 'the best ability is availability,' but damn if there isn't some truth to it.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Allways has been . Pretty sure that also was a knock on him in his draft year and definitely when he still playing in Finland . Supremely talented but not durable.

Something else I've noticed is he must play through injuries when he's in the line up. He will play a game and appear fine but then it comes out afterwards that he will miss the next game even though he didn't leave the previous game. So it's like I never know when he's potentially going to be unavailable because I never actually see him get hurt during games.

Reactions: Kcb12345

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Probably means they're giving Dobby the day completely off after he carried the team the last two games ? Him getting hurt would be bad.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

It’s a real shame because terrible goaltending really burned those Ruff teams. Kari was simply awful in playoff games. Dude was the opposite of clutch.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

There it is. The team still had an open roster spot so no other changes needed.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

A full day of rest of Dobby ? He saved 92 of 94 in his last two games against the Panthers. Seems to me this is a deliberate decision with how to schedule looks to rest the #1 goalie who also turns 35 in a few months. No need to even dress him.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
A full day of rest of Dobby ? He saved 92 of 94 in his last two games against the Panthers. Seems to me this is a deliberate decision with how to schedule looks to rest the #1 goalie who also turns 35 in a few months. No need to even dress him.
I guess. Gives then the option to pull Oettinger instead of having to riding him out, and of course if he gets injured. Though I don't think I'd want Bow to play even if oettinger is getting lit up.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I guess. Gives then the option to pull Oettinger instead of having to riding him out, and of course if he gets injured. Though I don't think I'd want Bow to play even if oettinger is getting lit up.

If Dobby gets injured or fatigued Bow would be guaranteed to get into games. The Stars will have to play an insane amount of games in a short period of time. Take every chance that is there to give your players some rest.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
If Dobby gets injured or fatigued Bow would be guaranteed to get into games.
Yes and if 15 defenseman get injured Honka is going to get into a game too. But doesn't mean I'd want it to happen either

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yes and if 15 defenseman get injured Honka is going to get into a game too. But doesn't mean I'd want it to happen either

Well there's alot of defenseman in the way of Honka getting into games. With goalies there's nobody else if one of Dobby/Oettinger gets hurt that would prevent Bow from getting into games.

You don't want a situation like the Stars had in 17/18 when Hitch rode a struggling Kari to death after Bishop got injured. The schedule this year is completely insane as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad