Speculation: 2020-21 Stars Roster Speculation and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
even in the most likely places under the worst conditions that might freeze up could be corrected just by cracking a valve open. we are talking about a few days not weeks

You're clearly too naive or optimistic and think to highly about corporate entities and politcians. If you go into everything with absolutely zero expectations like me you'll never wonder how shit could've happened but instead are positively suprised when it doesn't and actually things turn out good.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
You're clearly too naive or optimistic and think to highly about corporate entities and politcians. If you go into everything with absolutely zero expectations like me you'll never wonder how shit could've happened but instead are positively suprised when it doesn't and actually things turn out good.
that could very well be.:laugh:

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I saw on the hockey guys video today the stars will have 44 games in 78 days, that's absolutely brutal.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
some one is not telling you the truth. see post above
So you worked at a coal power plant and are unfamiliar with the steps that are taken to weatherization them for sub freezing temps? Steps that it seems all but El Paso neglected after the last cold spell hit Texas a decade ago.

Most of Texas power comes from natural gas, nuclear and coal. All 3 require water for cooling to keep production high. And there was a lack of steps to account for when it started to freeze (if reporting is accurate)

The state made recommendations after 2010 ( some Texas local correct me if I'm wrong here) freeze to weatherize the plants, but did not mandate the power companies to do so.
Certain areas such as El Paso, paid the costs to upgrade their facilities to withstand freezing conditions, most others did not.
Coupled with the fact that winter in Texas is usually the least demanding time on power, routine upgrades and maintenance are usually carried out in the winter which also lowers production.
Yes the solar and wind turbines do make up a decent amount of Texas power, but them alone going offline doesn't cause the power outages that Texas is experiencing.
And again assuming the power companies reports are accurate coal plants went down because they're not equipped to deal with the cold.

To further the differences here. A coal plant in Wisconsin or similar, will be enclosed, in Texas, they are largely exposed directly to the elements due to the excess heat in the summer. So generators, turbines, boilers etc are all out in the elements.

Or in short they weren't winterized

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
The Stars won't even have time to rest, much less practice. Special teams will probably be awful all season.

I'm glad I wasn't expecting much from this season, because even if they somehow manage to make the playoffs, there's no way they'll have the energy and health to go deep. :(

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
even in the most likely places under the worst conditions that might freeze up could be corrected just by cracking a valve open. we are talking about a few days not weeks
I’d say to keep in mind days is all we are talking about. The power problems started on Monday and continued through late Wednesday. I don’t know how coal plants runs, but here’s one explanation: “Coal plants were also dealing with frozen equipment. Medlock said many of the coal plant closures were caused by feed water needed to run the facility’s steam turbine technology freezing, making it impossible to run the plants.”

Here's why gas and coal went offline during the Texas cold weather catastrophe

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I’d say to keep in mind days is all we are talking about. The power problems started on Monday and continued through late Wednesday. I don’t know how coal plants runs, but here’s one explanation: “Coal plants were also dealing with frozen equipment. Medlock said many of the coal plant closures were caused by feed water needed to run the facility’s steam turbine technology freezing, making it impossible to run the plants.”

yeah, i'm on hold for now waiting as more and more stuff coming out. it may take awhile.:confused:

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Pretty much all the thermal plants ( including nuclear btw ) use the generated heat to power steam turbines . The actual electricity generatation is mostly through condensation of water .

At least thats how i remember it.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Pretty much all the thermal plants ( including nuclear btw ) use the generated heat to power steam turbines . The actual electricity generatation is mostly through condensation of water .

At least thats how i remember it.
the turbines generate the
electric as super heated [dry] steam is forced through the them.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
the turbines generate the
electric as super heated [dry] steam is forced through the them.

Exactly and if the pipes that bring in the water that is supposed to be converted into steam are frozen the turbines won't run.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
The Stars won't even have time to rest, much less practice. Special teams will probably be awful all season.

I'm glad I wasn't expecting much from this season, because even if they somehow manage to make the playoffs, there's no way they'll have the energy and health to go deep. :(

I think we have to be really strategic about rest of year.

Firstly, HAVE to win some games while are legs are pretty fresh, need to win 7 of next 10.

Then, i think we have to be smart with player mamagement. As we get into the heart of this loaded schedule go all in against Chicago, Columbus, Nasvhille and Detroit...win as many games as possible.

Then regarding resting players, i personally wouldnt rest 1 at a time and drag it out, id pick 3 or 4 matches the rest of the way to scratch players for a rest to hopefully find them some 3 or 4 day breaks and be fresh as a whole team for big chunk of season. And do a bulk scratch against like Tampa or Carolina and concede a few games that dont kill us.

The chicago and columbus games look to be true 4 pt games for teams fighting for the 4 seed.

Remparts666

Feb 11, 2021
I'm intrigue by Jason Robertson's play. From what you guys have seen this year, is he NHL ready? Do you think he is going to the taxi squad or AHL once the injured players coming back?

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
I'm intrigue by Jason Robertson's play. From what you guys have seen this year, is he NHL ready? Do you think he is going to the taxi squad or AHL once the injured players coming back?

Has looked great since being put on a line with Hintz and Guryanov. If he keeps a top 6 spot he’ll do well. He’ll struggle on checking lines

Reactions: Dallasman

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Considering how the lines as we know them haven't worked in weeks, blending things up is nice to see. Gotta try something, even if it means demoting your captain to the 4th line.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The team aparently practised some shootouts . Hope it'll help when needed. The two times the team was in shootouts this year it was pathetic.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The team aparently practised some shootouts . Hope it'll help when needed. The two times the team was in shootouts this year it was pathetic.
I’m going to guess they won’t be getting a chance to use the shootout this week. There’s a decent chance we are in full blown panic mode after this stretch against the Panthers and Bolts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad