Speculation: 2020-21 Stars Roster Speculation and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Low energy Dallas County Commissioner Clay Jenkins was on the Ticket. He was very informative about what happened to cause the power outages. Basically the story we all know that our state chose not to winterize power production and pipelines feeding power plants while neighboring states like Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Arkansas did winterize (and don't pay any more for their power in the process).

A helpful thing he pointed out is FEMA money is going to be available for people who suffer water damage from busted pipes. It sounds like what you do is first contact your insurance company, and if that coverage isn't adequate, there will be FEMA money from an individual assistance program to help. It sounds like FEMA is getting set up right now and will soon announce how people can reach out to ask for this money. So if you know people who have water damage, keep an eye out for this FEMA announcement.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
It sucks for those people but I can't help but laugh. I have an uncle that lives down in Austin (Kyle but close enough) and he likes to Sends those "it is 70-80 down here hows that -20 treating ya" messages...

Finally got to send him a message back with all the lights on and me turning up the thermostat to 63 saying "slightly chilly"
Once he gets power back he's going to be pissed

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
It sucks for those people but I can't help but laugh. I have an uncle that lives down in Austin (Kyle but close enough) and he likes to Sends those "it is 70-80 down here hows that -20 treating ya" messages...

Finally got to send him a message back with all the lights on and me turning up the thermostat to 63 saying "slightly chilly"
Once he gets power back he's going to be pissed
Thankfully here in Austin I’ve had power and water, having to boil it now. My sis and some friends have been without power for 3 days though but we’ve dealt with it.

Hopefully this is a wake up call to Texas and their own power grid; it’s Texas though so...

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Thankfully here in Austin I’ve had power and water, having to boil it now. My sis and some friends have been without power for 3 days though but we’ve dealt with it.

Hopefully this is a wake up call to Texas and their own power grid; it’s Texas though so...
Yeah I'd think they'd take the trouble to winterize now even if it is 10yrs again before it would be a problem.

Last I knew, he lost power Monday and it hasn't come back that I'm aware of, but I haven't heard from him since Tuesday sometime.
Ironically whataburger was still operationally so he's still lucky.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Yeah I'd think they'd take the trouble to winterize now even if it is 10yrs again before it would be a problem.

Last I knew, he lost power Monday and it hasn't come back that I'm aware of, but I haven't heard from him since Tuesday sometime.
Haha... yep. The one in my neighborhood has been open, or they were Tuesday.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
On Stars talk though I think this has become say a buffering season

1. Let the kids play and get experience and don’t trade ‘em.
2. Let Seguin and Bishop heal, no rush.
3. Again don’t trade our youth but teams maybe interested in guys Radulov, Dickinson, Oleksiak etc. come trade deadline and listen.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I hope of course when we finally get to play again we jump out like we did to start the season but we still have 16 games vs Tampa and Florida who are tops in the division.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

bring back coal snow wont effect it.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I hope of course when we finally get to play again we jump out like we did to start the season but we still have 16 games vs Tampa and Florida who are tops in the division.

Honestly with how short the season is, and how messed up it is, I’m totally fine with finishing near the bottom and getting a high pick. I don’t know much about the draft though

I mean I’d love another run to the finals, but I don’t even know if we’ll be in the playoffs with how things are going

serp

Jan 17, 2016
If the whole grid has not been weather proofed it doesn't matter how you generate energy it won't work. Can't cheap out on shit like that and you also need backup options. Texas aparently did neither. Isolated from the rest of the US grid and absolutely not winter proof.

Reactions: Kipper 17

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
it will be interesting to see what changes come from this.. and what the bill is. i've lived here 20 years and never seen anything like this. i've never lost power before just because it got cold.. much more likely to lose it after one of the crazy storms that rip through the area. this is a good time to be a store that sells generators.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Toronto had a power outage in the early 2000s when I lived there and I didn't have power for six days. I believe that affected the grid in the eastern US too. It was the summer though so manageable at least but that was minor compared to what is happening down there. I can't imagine it happening during the winter, especially in a place not used to the cold conditions.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Honestly with how short the season is, and how messed up it is, I’m totally fine with finishing near the bottom and getting a high pick. I don’t know much about the draft though

I mean I’d love another run to the finals, but I don’t even know if we’ll be in the playoffs with how things are going

Agree, in a way. With the compressed schedule, I just hope we don't get any more injuries. The record of SC losers the next year tends to be crappy, maybe even more so this year in a compressed, and now ultra compressed season for the Stars. We are just below (when healthy) the top teams and could use a top 10, or the top 3, or even the no. 1 pick to get where we really want to go as fans.

The hockey Gods smiled on us during the run to the Finals last year, now things are back to normal, when they just crap in our beds.......but, maybe it has a silver lining. We'll see.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Because they are winterized to protect against it where you live, same here where I live but Texas, or at least most of Texas power, which does include coal, wasn't.
how dose one winterize a coal fired power plant? there nothing to winterize, and i have worked in them to know
edit; they generate their own electric and heat.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
how dose one winterize a coal fired power plant? there nothing to winterize, and i have worked in them to know
edit; they generate their own electric and heat.

The pipes are frozen . Texas state government gave the utility companies complete free reign how prepare for extreme weather or not . They of course didn't do anything.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
The pipes are frozen . Texas state government gave the utility companies complete free reign how prepare for extreme weather or not . They of course didn't do anything.
out side of human error there is no reason for that to happen......nether steam or cond. lines would freeze . now maybe make up water if its above ground and water is completely stopped . but again thats human error. now i have head of cooling towers freezing up and having a team of men go up and break lose the ice. but thats not going to happen in just a few days unless the temp. is a -20

serp

Jan 17, 2016
out side of human error there is no reason for that to happen......nether steam or cond. lines would freeze . now maybe make up water if its above ground and water is completely stopped . but again thats human error. now i have head of cooling towers freezing up and having a team of men go up and break lose the ice. but thats not going to happen in just a few days unless the temp. is a -20

It's not error. The system was designed that way .This was bound to happen eventually . If you design a system without failsafes on purpose to save money it will blow up in your face once you need those failsafes.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
It's not error. The system was designed that way .This was bound to happen eventually . If you design a system without failsafes on purpose to save money it will blow up in your face once you need those failsafes.
even in the most likely places under the worst conditions that might freeze up could be corrected just by cracking a valve open. we are talking about a few days not weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad