Speculation: 2020-21 Stars Roster Speculation and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
Looks like we get to avoid playing Tampa again

How is this going to work out :\
I guess we can look forward to playing the Panthers in Florida on the 22nd since its out of town?

NJD 10GP, and MIN is tied w us at 12GP ... were going to have to mush all sorts of games in somehow before they call it and go by win%

Last edited:

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
How is this going to work out :\
I guess we can look forward to playing the Panthers in Florida on the 22nd since its out of town?

NJD 10GP, and MIN is tied w us at 12GP ... were going to have to mush all sorts of games in somehow before they call it and go by win%v
The league is probably going to end up using points percentage to determine standings, which doesn't help the Stars much considering this awful run of losses.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Yeah it's very very likely the Stars won't play again until an away game, unless the power issues are solved overnight lol

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Just an FYI if you are without heat, open your taps to a VERY slow drip if you don't want your pipes to burst.

#ProTip

Any word on when the electric companies can get shit up and running again?

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Just an FYI if you are without heat, open your taps to a VERY slow drip if you don't want your pipes to burst.

#ProTip

Any word on when the electric companies can get shit up and running again?

Think last I heard it's gonna take longer than expected. My university canceled classes for the whole week lol online and in person

Luckily my power has only gone out once and it was super brief this morning

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Well if they don't want you dripping your faucets then at least turn off the main connection and run the pipes dry.

No power, no water.. looking like a third world country down there. Yikers.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Well if they don't want you dripping your faucets then at least turn off the main connection and run the pipes dry.

No power, no water.. looking like a third world country down there. Yikers.
You would have to blow them out .

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Stop dripping your faucets: Texas officials say the state’s water supply is at risk

Texas officials aparently would rather have it that peoples pipes burst....
And burst pipes also waste an incredible amount of water.

It's amazing the fallout that has come from our state power grid not being adequately winterized. We see power plants unable to run, which leads to houses losing heat, which leads to water being wasted by dripping faucets and burst pipes, which leads to water systems not able to treat water as quickly as it is being used, which leads to boil notices... And on and on. Not to even mention the billions of dollars in water damage, plumbing damage, pool damage, and death.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
And burst pipes also waste an incredible amount of water.

It's amazing the fallout that has come from our state power grid not being adequately winterized. We see power plants unable to run, which leads to houses losing heat, which leads to water being wasted by dripping faucets and burst pipes, which leads to water systems not able to treat water as quickly as it is being used, which leads to boil notices... And on and on. Not to even mention the billions of dollars in water damage, plumbing damage, pool damage, and death.
really is an incredible convergence. i can understand the issue though.. it'd be like asking california to make building code ready to handle a 17.o earthquake. at some point, the massive extra cost isn't worth it bc the odds are so low. it becomes a risk tolerance question. also, people aren't as interested in spending extra on infrastructure.. it's not as sexy as typical social programs, even though those provide a social good.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
really is an incredible convergence. i can understand the issue though.. it'd be like asking california to make building code ready to handle a 17.o earthquake. at some point, the massive extra cost isn't worth it bc the odds are so low. it becomes a risk tolerance question. also, people aren't as interested in spending extra on infrastructure.. it's not as sexy as typical social programs, even though those provide a social good.

I agree, engineering usually has cost value analysis. For NO, the dykes were designed for 200 year storms but a 500+ year storm came along and destroyed them. Liberty TX, downstream from Dallas was purposely allowed to flood, as they built flood dykes all along the Trinity to protect bigger cities. It was hard for them to tell flood victims it was designed that way. And now, the power grid, which probably just wasn't designed for this. To do so probably would have meant a rise in taxes or energy prices, and most voters and politicians worry about those things more than long term thinking. 5 days of misery or higher monthly costs? Most will take the former, at least when debating it in the relative warmth of their homes.

It seems we get a deep freeze every 10 years, and many think global warming will make extreme weather more extreme, so they may rethink this when adding to the power grid in Texas.

And to make this about hockey....damn, the Stars are cancelled again tonight.

I met Razor once, and told him my broadcast opening would be something like, "We're downtown Dallas, where the skies are clear, the temperatures are cool, and the forecast calls for a 100% chance of Dallas Stars Hockey!" Guess if that was ever used, we would have to modify it to a 99% chance of Dallas Stars Hockey. Of course, there could always be an in arena power outage, so it probably should technically ever been 100%, even it it's a snappier phrase.

Reactions: Satan

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
But when this is a repeated problem where we've had cold shut down power plants in 1989, 2011, 2014, and 2021, there's a point where the cost of winterizing has to be less than the cost of the cleanup. This wasn't an unforeseen risk. Asking California to make every building earthquake proof isn't quite the same as asking our state to winterize a couple dozen power plants.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

I mean Texas from what i've read can't even be helped out by other states because it completely isolated its grid from the rest of the USA . All those harmful federal regulations and all that. The type of shit that moron Rick Perry wrote . Eeek

Well in general extreme weather is becoming more and more prevalent so infrastructure has to be made proof for it or this will happen again.

Now i'm not in the US but just a week ago we had -20°C and 1-2 meters of snow and for next weeks the forecast is +20°C .

Last edited:

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
But when this is a repeated problem where we've had cold shut down power plants in 1989, 2011, 2014, and 2021, there's a point where the cost of winterizing has to be less than the cost of the cleanup. This wasn't an unforeseen risk. Asking California to make every building earthquake proof isn't quite the same as asking our state to winterize a couple dozen power plants.

100%

If a city floods 3 times in 25 years you generally invest in flood protection infrastructure.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The Saturday game of Tampa @ Dallas is postponed as well. Why the league couldn't merely flip things to have Tampa host the Stars for these games is a mystery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad