2020-21 San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
So what's the deal with Poturalski btw? Good to great numbers in the AHL pretty much every season, yet only 2 NHL games under his belt from 5 years ago. I'm not suggesting to bring him up but was wondering how come he never got a better opportunity? I should add that I've never seen him play.
Average skater, small guy, not particularly strong on his skates or on the puck. His passing and vision are on par with a good NHLer but nothing else about him is. He's a great, clutch player for the Gulls but I don't see any NHL future for him.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

According to the PHPA tweet, their complaint is about COVID-19 issues. It is devoid of financial ruin.

Here's an excerpt of a Q&A:
SJHN: So workers compensation is tied into the amount of regular season games they’ve played this year. And unlike past years, there are no playoff bonuses in the AHL this season. So these playoff games are just additional risk that only the Pacific Division players are being forced to incur — and with no financial reward.

Landon: Yeah, the players are taking the risks. The agents know that, the players know that. And the clubs, unfortunately, they bury their heads. The players voted 133 to eight not to play and [the clubs] chose to play and disregard the players.

Did Landon purposely skirt around the finances in this question?​

Ahhh... So I did some digging and found this article covering the new changes to the AHL CBA for 2020/21 season. Here are two nuggets pertaining to the playoffs:

Playoffs for the 2020-21 season will be at the sole discretion of the AHL. No additional compensation will be paid to players for any playoff games.

AHL teams shall make reasonable efforts to assist the players in finding affordable housing.

Why is this important? Here's the answer within that same article:

A source with direct knowledge of these changes provided InsideAHLHockey.com with plenty of insight on what was reportedly a three-page document sent from AHL President/CEO Scott Howson to PHPA Executive Director Larry Landon last Saturday with terms of a decision requested by Thursday at 11 a.m.

This document stated that, if accepted, it would supersede and replace the agreement made between the PHPA and AHL on June 2nd, which InsideAHLHockey first reported on earlier this week.

The document from Howson to Landon also said that in the event the proposal wasn't approved that the AHL would operate under the terms of the June 2nd legally enforceable agremeent or not operate during the 2020-21 season as well as reseving all other rights available at law.

Huh. Landon agreed to that CBA change.

I do get what Landon was doing with his tweet and polling of players. He was trying to coerce the AHL from playing any playoff games because he cannot legally tell all of the AHL players to opt out of the playoffs when they opted in for the regular season. Landon cites why he couldn't do it in the CBA article link, he'd be sued.

For all of the AHL Pacific division players, it suck that they aren't getting extra compensations for the playoffs (but does that mean no pay for games played or no bonus pay on top of being paid for playing in the playoffs?). Yet, their PHPA Landon agreed to this.

I couldn't find the actual AHL CBA 2020-21 agreement online. Yet, Landon didn't have to accept the agreement. Now, he's trying to make the AHL look bad when Landon was complicit with this situation. It's kinda shady of Landon to do this, but I do admire his fight for his players... despite it being his mistake for accepting the terms.

As a Duck fan, I think our org treats our players a bit better because that's what we've become accustomed with the Samueli's. It's the other organizations I don't know about in the Pacific. The oddest part about this is I would have thunk the Pacific division would the be first to opt out due to COVID concerns since most teams are in California.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Mahura made good strides, but is just not there yet.
What I saw from him was Montour-esque cockiness and physicality. What he needs to add next is reliability in D zone and he could become a 3rd pairing guy in the NHL.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Oh weird, wonder what happened with dineen. Always had the sense that last year's team should have played a lot better considering the talent.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto

Laval was really good last year as well. Seems like a good hire

Honestly as a habs fan he was fantastic, he left the bubble sometime during the run and everyone was worried something like this happening. Current hypothesis is that he wants to be a head coach and needs a way to do that and mtl are about to shack up with ducharme. He was great for player development and we were looking like we turned the corner after so many bad years prior to him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad