2020-21 San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Drysdale will be an Anaheim next year, lol. He wore out down the stretch but that’s to be expected for an 18 YO season. He will come back stronger after an offseason training with men

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So how does the lineup look like?
Zegras 1C
Carrick 2C
Groulx 3C

Drysdale 1D

Pretty damn stacked!

Just realized there is a game tonight. Yay more hockey to watch, and with those guys back should be fun. Need our future to keep getting better and with Z and Drysdale back will be good for those guys. I like to see Groulx and Perreault get a shot at the NHL some time next season but think Perreault will need at least another full season down there.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Pretty damn stacked!

Just realized there is a game tonight. Yay more hockey to watch, and with those guys back should be fun. Need our future to keep getting better and with Z and Drysdale back will be good for those guys. I like to see Groulx and Perreault get a shot at the NHL some time next season but think Perreault will need at least another full season down there.
Oh damn, thanks for bringing that up, I was convinced that the next game is on Friday.

But man, will be interesting to see the lineups. To elaborate a bit more on my previous post:

Agozzino - Zegras - Lettieri
De Leo- Carrick - Poturalski
Limoges - Groulx - Kindopp
Devane- Badini - Perreault

Mahura - Drysdale
Benoit - Andersson
Curran - Drew

Dostal
OEE

Bench:
Guhle
T.Carrick
Golod
Dostie
Lorito

This was me absolutely guessing, I probably am missing some combinations or even players. But that is a solid lineup and exciting to watch as a Ducks fan because of Z, Dry, Groulx, Perreault, and others.

Reactions: Leonardo87
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Oh damn, thanks for bringing that up, I was convinced that the next game is on Friday.

But man, will be interesting to see the lineups. To elaborate a bit more on my previous post:

Agozzino - Zegras - Lettieri
De Leo- Carrick - Poturalski
Limoges - Groulx - Kindopp
Devane- Badini - Perreault

Mahura - Drysdale
Benoit - Andersson
Curran - Drew

Dostal
OEE

Bench:
Guhle
T.Carrick
Golod
Dostie
Lorito

This was me absolutely guessing, I probably am missing some combinations or even players. But that is a solid lineup and exciting to watch as a Ducks fan because of Z, Dry, Groulx, Perreault, and others.
I think Trevor Carrick will definitely play, at least once the playoffs start. He's a very useful combo of puck moving and nasty defense that we could use, and we don't really need all four of Mahura, Drysdale, Andersson and Curran. I'd probably sit Curran of that group, since he's the worst in his own zone.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
There is literally 0% chance T Carrick is not in the lineup unless he is injured. Drew usually plays forward when we have 6 competent defensemen this season so I assume he would be out.

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
wow. I want the playoffs to happen badly, but I understand if it will not, that is overwhelmingly against.

But what is the last part I don't get in that tweet. Players get minimum wage?

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
wow. I want the playoffs to happen badly, but I understand if it will not, that is overwhelmingly against.

But what is the last part I don't get in that tweet. Players get minimum wage?

I don't know if he spelt something wrong or just worded it wrong but I think its related to workers comp, which pays you part of your wage if you're injured on the job. They're not getting paid at all and it's not a real playoff so there isn't a ton of upside for them, especially veterans.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
I don't know if he spelt something wrong or just worded it wrong but I think its related to workers comp, which pays you part of your wage if you're injured on the job. They're not getting paid at all and it's not a real playoff so there isn't a ton of upside for them, especially veterans.

Friedman talked about it on his podcast. My understanding of the issue is that the players thought they had a deal with the league that any playoffs would be a joint discussion. The league denies this and there hasn't yet been any documents proving either side. The players have not made much money this season as they had to take major pay cuts. The shuffling between taxi squads, I believe, was partly to help with paying them.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Limogues is basically a career PPG player so far in all of USHL, NCAA and AHL. Funny how even it has been, reminded me of Montour who did it during one year though.

Hopefully he can be useful going forward, he will bee 24 to start the next year so hard to tell how his next step to the NHL would look like.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Limogues is basically a career PPG player so far in all of USHL, NCAA and AHL. Funny how even it has been, reminded me of Montour who did it during one year though.

Hopefully he can be useful going forward, he will bee 24 to start the next year so hard to tell how his next step to the NHL would look like.
Hard to gauge the upside of players like that, Penner comes to mind. Pretty good season at Maine, does ok in the AHL and then suddenly explodes to dominate that league (part of that might have been due to overcooking in the AHL during the lockout). Then he settled in as a 40-50 point guy in the NHL before flaming out.

Reactions: Kalv

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Hard to gauge the upside of players like that, Penner comes to mind. Pretty good season at Maine, does ok in the AHL and then suddenly explodes to dominate that league (part of that might have been due to overcooking in the AHL during the lockout). Then he settled in as a 40-50 point guy in the NHL before flaming out.

Did a little digging and found this snippet from a 2019 article from Last Word on Sports (LWOS):

It’s that time of year. The NCAA hockey regular season is coming to a close and conference tournaments are about to begin. NHL teams are now salivating at the chance to sign the top undrafted college hockey free agents as their teams play their final games of the season.

These prospects don’t always have an impact at the NHL level, but the chances of finding a diamond in the rough ala players like Matt Read, Danny DeKeyser, Chris Kunitz, Andy McDonald, Dustin Penner, Tyler Bozak, Jason Garrison, Mike Condon, Ben Scrivens, Torey Krug, Christian Folin, Frank Vatrano and others who have been uncovered in recent years is always a chance that NHL teams seem willing to take. At worst they give out an Entry Level contract, pay a player to play for their minor league club for a couple years, and then let them go. At best they get a player who can contribute at the NHL level, for a relatively low cap hit, without using a draft pick, or trading other assets. These players are low risk/big reward and so the competition to sign them will be fierce.

Alex Limoges, Left Wing, Penn State, 6’1” 201 lbs, Sophomore

After a solid freshman season, Limoges has exploded as a sophomore already doubling his goal total, and nearly doubling his points despite playing three fewer games so far. He has put up 17 goals and 41 points in 34 games this season. Limoges is used in all situations for the Nittany Lions, playing on the top line and also matching up against other team’s top lines. He is an effective two-way player, playing a smart positional game and almost always seems to be in the right spot. His strong skating and low centre of gravity make him strong on the puck and help him to cycle down low as well as battle for pucks on the boards and in front of the net. Limoges has a strong wrist shot and a quick release.

Kunie, Andy Mac, and Penner were all former college UDFA signed by the Ducks. Then the league started to copy the Ducks in hunting down college UDFA, which is when the Ducks moved to looking at Swedes.

Looking at Limoges' EP stats, he looks good and I'm scratching my head why he wasn't drafted. A significant reason for being passed over is his age. He started his four-year career at Penn State as a 20-year old. Many teams were looking for more upside in the draft from 17 and 18 year olds along with the occasional overagers. Limoges had a huge sophomore year at Penn State as a 21-year old, set to be 22 to start the next season.

I know GM Murray was looking for talent around 22-25 range, where prospects have had longer times to develop and should be launching forward. For the past few seasons, Murray has accumulated talents in that range on the down low with D Guhle, F Heinen, D Djoos, F Milano, F Volkov, and D Fleury. Guess Murray is trying to play the percentages that the more you have then the more one increases the chances of landing an NHL talent. Thus far, Fleury is looking to be a gem with high upside, maybe Volkov has a niche in the bottom-6. Limoges and Ducks may be on the same page here as the Ducks are looking for forward talent such that there's a path for Limoges to make the NHL in a year or two.

The only risk involved in signing Limoges to an NHL contract is taking up a contract spot. Currently, the Ducks have 49 contracts out of 5o total filled. Two will be made available by the retirement of players F Backes and G Miller. With a slew of defensemen here, Welinski's services will probably be not retained. Heinen and Rowney are bubble players to be retained. There's room there if the Ducks decide to take a flyer on Limoges.

Reactions: Deuce22

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Gulls playoff schedule is out. The semifinal round is a best of 3 series against the Condors:

Friday, May 21 in Bakersfield @ 6pm PST
Sunday, May 23 in Bakersfield @ 5pm PST
Monday, May 24 in Bakersfield @ 6pm PST (if necessary)

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
So what's the deal with Poturalski btw? Good to great numbers in the AHL pretty much every season, yet only 2 NHL games under his belt from 5 years ago. I'm not suggesting to bring him up but was wondering how come he never got a better opportunity? I should add that I've never seen him play.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
So what's the deal with Poturalski btw? Good to great numbers in the AHL pretty much every season, yet only 2 NHL games under his belt from 5 years ago. I'm not suggesting to bring him up but was wondering how come he never got a better opportunity? I should add that I've never seen him play.
Top scorer in the AHL this year btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad