2020-21 San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
What a mess.

Based on Weise's comments he seems like an old-school/dinosaur coach that likes to belittles his players infront of their teammates with a touch of the odd behaviour for good measure? :laugh:

Bouchard's comment re: Eakins was unprofessional at best but I was more annoyed with his (non-)answer to Stephens' question regarding his philosophy dealing with players individually.

His track record doesn't seem very impressive either to be honest. Murray said "his players are all over the leagues" but which players/prospects are we talking about?

Always important to remember there's two sides to every story. Would be interesting to hear Bouchard's POV.

Multiple players in the article attribute their improved play and subsequent call up to the NHL as directly related to Bouchard. Much of the article outlined how he takes a personal approach to each player. There are videos of him hugging players and that he is known for really caring about the person.

I'm not sure where the old school vibe comes in. Everything about the article points to the opposite of how you framed it. I'm not saying he's a perfect coach because I don't know him. But these negative takes on this board are strange considering most know nothing about him and he seems to be universally respected by players, Montreal fans, coaches, and GMs. Montreal even offered him two different positions because they wanted to keep him.

Not saying that Weise is lying, but that there are two sides to every story and we have only heard Weise's. It's entirely possible that more context explains his different opinion on Bouchard compared to almost everyone else.

Reactions: Deuce22

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Multiple players in the article attribute their improved play and subsequent call up to the NHL as directly related to Bouchard. Much of the article outlined how he takes a personal approach to each player. There are videos of him hugging players and that he is known for really caring about the person.

That's encouraging! May I ask which article/players?

Everything about the article points to the opposite of how you framed it. [...] But these negative takes on this board are strange considering most know nothing about him [...]

Unless Weise's lying, not that strange.

Last edited:

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California
That's encouraging! May I ask which article/players?

For sure, it's the same one linked before: Athletic.

Alexandre Alain: "This “paternal” coaching style wasn’t a one-off. Bouchard has openly hugged his players on the bench whenever they’ve done well. “I’m the type of person who loves that,” Alain said. “Maybe there are other people who want a coach who’s a bit more distant, a bit more cold. For me, I like having a coach who will tell him how I’m doing and will work with that. Everything we see of him in the media, the fact he loves his players, a guy who respects his players. When we see the videos where he’s hugging guys, bottom line, it shows that he says what he does. He really does care about his players’ successes. I think they lead to him being successful.”

Jake Evans: “He was so big for my development. He’ll definitely be missed,” Evans said of Bouchard on Friday. “He’s one of those guys who sees things in his players and pushes them to get to those spots in their career. I can’t say enough about how much helped me. I just wish him the best of luck. I wouldn’t be where I am today without him.”

Karl Alzner: “He had a very good sense of how to manage certain players,” Alzner said. “He kind of dealt with guys differently. Depending on who you are, what you needed at the time. Or at least what you thought you needed at the time. And that was something that was really good, having a coach that’s in touch with his guys.”

Jesperi Kotkaniemi, Ryan Poehling, and Cayden Primeau all were stated as benefiting.

Reactions: cheesymc

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Every coach will have players who don't like him just like every boss will have employees who just don't mesh. That's just a fact of life and isn't particularly worrying.

It would have been a red flag if the Weiss' sentiment was more voluminous than the positive stories, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad