2020-21 San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Current Depth Chart:

C - Zegras, Carrick, Lundestrom, Groulx, Badini, Agozzino (?)
RW - Poturalski, Lettieri, Kindopp
LW - Comtois/Jones (?), De Leo, Kopacka, Morand, Golod

LD - Mahura, Benoit, Larsson (?), Curran (?)
RD - Welinski, Drew, Andersson, Hakanpaa (?)

G - Eriksson Ek, Durny, Dostal

(?) = Unsure if player will be in the AHL.

Last edited:

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Part of me wonders if Drysdale joins the roster since the OHL schedule is so up in the air

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
Part of me wonders if Drysdale joins the roster since the OHL schedule is so up in the air
It could be good for him. Its definitely better than missing a year because of a no contact rule.

He has the skill and skating ability to keep up at AHL level so its not like he will be overwhelmed.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Very interesting to see Andy back with the Ducks. It's a mutual signing such that the Ducks get another RHD and Andy has a better path to the NHL with the Ducks, who are lacking RHD in their NHL/AHL system to date.

Andy moving on from the Ducks actually hurt his ability to show off his talents at the NHL more because the Ducks kept getting hit with injuries to the blue line and didn't have RHD on the ready in those situations. Ducks traded for Gudz with a 7th round pick and low, low-end prospect. Gudz provided that defensive stability for the Ducks last year and then turned Gudz into a 5th round pick this off-season. Welinski didn't play a lick for the Flyers at the NHL level. Could be a wakeup call for him to up his game if he wants a future in the NHL.

At the AHL level, here are the RHD the Ducks now possess: Hakanpaa (28 yrs old, one-way contract), Welinski (27, one-way), Drew (21), and Andersson (20).

What do I expect for Welinski to improve this year? Playing better defense. He has offensive skills, but his defense is meh. Maybe he can pickup some pointers from Shattenkirk during the preseason? ::: raising shoulders ::: That taste of FA and realizing another NHL just sees you as an AHL defenseman could be that wakeup call for Andy. At the very least, SD will have a RHD on their team.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
February 5th sounds realistic at least. NHL should follow suit

I imagine it will be a 35ish game schedule for the AHL. Better than nothing

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Because I would rather they play than not play, unless we are planning on loaning them to Europe. With the likely expanded rosters + the fact that there will inevitably injuries, I would hope they'd at least get a cup of coffee.
I don’t think the NHL is starting much sooner if at all than February 5th. Maybe I’m wrong.

Agreed we should be actively looking into loaning them to Europe. I like the fact that Lundestrom is playing and I am very concerned about some of the other guys not getting game action. The fact that Comtois is playing roller hockey...that stuff sounds cool and is fun to joke about...but it isn’t good enough competition at his age. Certainly not for any extended period of time this season

We’ll have to see when the NHL announces their plan.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I wonder if the 2018 - 2020 (and probably beyond) draft years end up weaker than normal among North American prospects because they’re all essentially going to lose 3/4s of a year of development. Not an ideal situation these late start dates but I guess there’s not much alternative given the state of the world.

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Ahl should start the exact time the nhl does

these varying start times are garbage, too much movement of prospects and tweeners that can make your opening line up.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I wonder if the 2018 - 2020 (and probably beyond) draft years end up weaker than normal among North American prospects because they’re all essentially going to lose 3/4s of a year of development. Not an ideal situation these late start dates but I guess there’s not much alternative given the state of the world.

Interesting thought, but I think these players are able to get the time back and they are now able to train their muscles, so physically they should be more ready than if they had played all this time. Extended time off could be beneficial for some. Seeing how recent Finnish draftees Anton Lundell and Roby Järventie have improved their games coming into the season after such a long break. Lundell was especially critisized for his skating and he has been flying out there.

During the summer I noticed that many Finnish records in track and field sports were broken, probably because athletes had rested and trained a lot on their own rather than going from competition to competition. They were able to get better performance out of themselves. Obviously those sports differ a lot from hockey, but we have seen how playing too much hockey can even hinder the physical development of young players. They are not ready for the wear and tear of 82 game season and just try to hang on. If they have spent this time off wisely, they should be physically ready.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul4587 and Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I'm worried if Marco Rossi doesn't have a team to play he will get so jacked up he will not be able to fit through the doors in most arenas. But he's not our problem.
94d.png

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Are they going to expand roster sizes or make it easy to make "transfers" between the NHL/AHL/ECHL like baseball kind of did?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->