2020-21 San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think Drysdale has been great but I do also acknowledge it's weirdly easier for a young d-man to look good or more polished than a young forward.

Isn't it usually the opposite case on the whole (excluding the Ducks) that forwards develop faster than defensemen? And both develop faster than goalies, which is why many teams don't draft goalies in the first round due to their volatility of growth?

I don't think Drysdale is getting appropriate credit for what he's doing at the AHL level as an 18-year old. We've been spoiled by Fowler (playing NHL in his draft year) and Lindholm (playing in his D+1 year in the NHL). Manson , Monty, Pettersson, Vatanen, and Theodore took some time to develop. Manson took 3 years to develop at the NCAAs and half a year in the AHL. Monty was 19 when we drafted him, iirc, and he spent time at the USHL, NCAA, and AHL in one year. Then spent a year in the half in the AHL. Pettersson spent 3 years in Sweden after he was drafted, then half a year in the AHL, and finally a full time NHLer the year after. Pettersson is two years younger than Monty despite being drafted in the same draft year. Theodore spent two more seasons in juniors after his draft year and then spent two seasons splitting between the AHL and NHL before the VGK acquired him. Even then, VGK started him off in the AHL. Larsson spent two years in Sweden after his draft year, a full season in the AHL, the next two seasons split time between the AHL and NHL, and finally this year to be in the NHL. Today, Larsson is a fringe 6/7 defensemen.

Based upon production on the ice and scoresheet between Zegras and Drysdale, Drysdale should have been the first call-up. Maybe Drysdale should have been called up before Mahura even. But I think the org is trying its best to insulate Drysdale from being called to the NHL level. Mahura, Guhle, and Curran are probably the next in line to be called up before Drysdale would be called up.

We're fortunate to have Dostal (2018), Zegras (2019), and Drysdale (2020). All three have potential to be elite.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Isn't it usually the opposite case on the whole (excluding the Ducks) that forwards develop faster than defensemen? And both develop faster than goalies, which is why many teams don't draft goalies in the first round due to their volatility of growth?

I don't think Drysdale is getting appropriate credit for what he's doing at the AHL level as an 18-year old. We've been spoiled by Fowler (playing NHL in his draft year) and Lindholm (playing in his D+1 year in the NHL). Manson , Monty, Pettersson, Vatanen, and Theodore took some time to develop. Manson took 3 years to develop at the NCAAs and half a year in the AHL. Monty was 19 when we drafted him, iirc, and he spent time at the USHL, NCAA, and AHL in one year. Then spent a year in the half in the AHL. Pettersson spent 3 years in Sweden after he was drafted, then half a year in the AHL, and finally a full time NHLer the year after. Pettersson is two years younger than Monty despite being drafted in the same draft year. Theodore spent two more seasons in juniors after his draft year and then spent two seasons splitting between the AHL and NHL before the VGK acquired him. Even then, VGK started him off in the AHL. Larsson spent two years in Sweden after his draft year, a full season in the AHL, the next two seasons split time between the AHL and NHL, and finally this year to be in the NHL. Today, Larsson is a fringe 6/7 defensemen.

Based upon production on the ice and scoresheet between Zegras and Drysdale, Drysdale should have been the first call-up. Maybe Drysdale should have been called up before Mahura even. But I think the org is trying its best to insulate Drysdale from being called to the NHL level. Mahura, Guhle, and Curran are probably the next in line to be called up before Drysdale would be called up.

We're fortunate to have Dostal (2018), Zegras (2019), and Drysdale (2020). All three have potential to be elite.

It isn't about developing faster its about looking better off the start. So many defensemen never look better than they do in their rookie season, even if they don't totally flame out. Mostly just playing a safe game mixed in with some highlights will earn some race reviews early on.

People are openly talking about Drysdale being a better prospect than Zegras, arguably the top prospect in hockey. I'd say he's getting appropriate credit.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
It isn't about developing faster its about looking better off the start. So many defensemen never look better than they do in their rookie season, even if they don't totally flame out. Mostly just playing a safe game mixed in with some highlights will earn some race reviews early on.

People are openly talking about Drysdale being a better prospect than Zegras, arguably the top prospect in hockey. I'd say he's getting appropriate credit.

I think we're not on the same page on development. I'm saying that Drysdale is advanced in his development as an 18-year old in the AHL. Defensively, I think Lindholm was ahead as Lindholm stepped into the NHL in his D+2 season. Each player develops at their own pace, but some are advanced than others. Best example of this is that I would rate Tracey below Perreault despite Tracey being a year younger and that's because Perreault's got a more elite toolkit than Tracey off the bat. I don't know what exactly is a rookie year comparison considering the matriculation into the NHL all varies in ages, as I cited earlier.

As for appropriate credit, I'm not sure you're reading all the washing around that defensemen develop faster than forwards while negating age context. That's where I take exception. I don't mind if someone still thinks Zegras is the top prospect because he's got skills already, but saying Drysdale shouldn't be considered because defensemen develop faster than forwards? That's simply dismissing Drysdale's work to playing at such a high level.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I think we're not on the same page on development. I'm saying that Drysdale is advanced in his development as an 18-year old in the AHL. Defensively, I think Lindholm was ahead as Lindholm stepped into the NHL in his D+2 season. Each player develops at their own pace, but some are advanced than others. Best example of this is that I would rate Tracey below Perreault despite Tracey being a year younger and that's because Perreault's got a more elite toolkit than Tracey off the bat. I don't know what exactly is a rookie year comparison considering the matriculation into the NHL all varies in ages, as I cited earlier.

As for appropriate credit, I'm not sure you're reading all the washing around that defensemen develop faster than forwards while negating age context. That's where I take exception. I don't mind if someone still thinks Zegras is the top prospect because he's got skills already, but saying Drysdale shouldn't be considered because defensemen develop faster than forwards? That's simply dismissing Drysdale's work to playing at such a high level.

I said none of that, I'm saying it's easier for a young defenseman to look further ahead at an early stage. I'm not dismissing anything.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Groulx with a snipe on a breakaway. I still don't see top 6 upside with him, but he might carve a role of a bottom 6 guy. Anyway, his size and strength in the middle is something that this organization lacks so I think he's in a good place, but needs another 1-2 years to flourish

Last edited:

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
This video has a couple nice pieces in it, including a Zegras interview (and some mic'd up moments) and stuff with the Carrick brothers. Zegras also calls Drysdale "Jim" on the ice.

Last edited:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
This video has a couple nice pieces in it, including a Zegras interview (and some mic'd up moments) and stuff with the Carrick brothers. Zegras also calls Drysdale "Jim" on the ice.

I was hoping Z would have named him "Jesus". Whoever came up with that nickname on here had me cracking up!

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Really curious why they kept the players they did on the taxi squad.

Could it be because they're playing back-to-back in Colorado and the thinner air Colorado has that the club wants those players with them? That's the only logical reason I can come up with right now.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
According to capfriendly drysdale is still on the taxi squad, so he will miss the game tonight. Really odd...

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Looking like he shouldn’t be in the AHL.
Not a surprise. He has a lot of developing/improving to do if he ever wants to sniff the NHL.

Have said this all along, but I just never saw the tools that justified him being picked that high. Not fast, not physical, not big, decent but not great vision/shot... he seems like he was more of an opportunistic scorer in juniors more than anything else.

Reactions: ShadowDuck

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
How has Tracey been looking? I know he hasn't been on the score sheet but sometimes that is not indicative of play.
Looking like he shouldn’t be in the AHL.

This is true. He's out of his league at the moment. There are games where he does flash at times and makes me wonder why doesn't he do that all that time? Again, he's out of his league at the moment. He's got some wheels and offensive instinct, but he still needs more weight and overall maturity in his game. I'm not really worried.

Fans forget that Tracey's first year in the WHL was his draft year. That means he was held back before joining the WHL. All he did in his first year in the WHL was win the WHL rookie of the year, WHL rookie with the most goals, WHL rookie with the most assists, and, of course, WHL rookie with the most points.

Tracey's gonna be a project and that was expected. He made the WJC-U18 two years ago and surprisingly produced. Brayden scored 7 points in 7 games, with 4 goals and 3 assists. That ranked him top-5 in team scoring. But he wasn't selected for the WJC this past season. Maybe it wasn't his time. One of the reason he wasn't selected was his drop in scoring after he was traded to a defensive team. This past season, Tracey had to prove he wasn't a byproduct of his two over-ager line mates in his draft season.

2018-19 (draft year)
Moose Jaw: 66 games; 36 goals + 45 assists = 81 points; 1.22 ppg​

2019-20
Moose Jaw: 28 games; 15 goals + 23 assists = 38 points; 1.35 ppg
Victoria: 24 games; 7 goals + 16 assists = 23 points; 0.95 ppg​

Tracey proved he can score without his over-ager teammates in his D+1 year. Moose Jaw didn't play much defense, but their only way to win games was to be all offensive. There were reports that Tracey was a perimeter player with Moose Jaw. When he got traded to Victoria, Tracey was in a totally different environment. He had to play defense and not be a perimeter player. Despite Victoria lacking offensive, Tracey still finished as it highest ppg player. COVID hit and we couldn't see anymore of what Tracey could have done with Victoria in the playoffs. Also, he was being tried out at center with Victoria.

Tracey still needed to grow from being a perimeter player and playing with defense. 2019-20 was only his second season in the WHL, meaning he's very young at playing at this level. Although he's 6'0, he's rail thin still at 176 lbs. Tracey will be a longer project, but because he can score and play make, then he can possibly be a more valuable playmaker in the future.

Not a surprise. He has a lot of developing/improving to do if he ever wants to sniff the NHL.

Have said this all along, but I just never saw the tools that justified him being picked that high. Not fast, not physical, not big, decent but not great vision/shot... he seems like he was more of an opportunistic scorer in juniors more than anything else.

Tracey does look out of place in the AHL. Perreault also looked out of place in the AHL, but Perreault also has more top-end skills and skating than Tracey. It's far too quick to judge prospects so early in the process. You can't judge Tracey, a late 20's pick with the 9th pick overall of the same year, who is Zegras.

Before the NHL season started up, I felt bad for Tracey because he still needed more development at the WHL level. Also, I thought Perreault being in the AHL might be more helpful to himself because Perreault's problem wasn't his ability to play hockey, but his motivation to play it for 200-feet and all the time on the ice. Perreault is built for an 18-year old as he stands at 5'11 and 192 lbs.

Our prospects will develop at different paces. It's far too early to throw away Tracey, especially when he's able to produce against his peers.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I disagree that Perreault looks tremendously out of place out there. Maybe not quite ready but he’s close to being a quality player at that level and I think a year and a half from now will torch that league

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I disagree that Perreault looks tremendously out of place out there. Maybe not quite ready but he’s close to being a quality player at that level and I think a year and a half from now will torch that league
He makes some very good offensive plays, but sometimes he's like a chicken with his head cut off out there. He's easily made more of an offensive impact that Tracey has, but as far as overall comfortability in the AHL, I'd say they are close to even.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Gates released from his PTO. Hopefully that means some guys are coming back from injury (Badini, Perreault, possibly Golod).

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Andy Zilch, voice of the Gulls, is answering some questions on Twitter if any of you want to ask him something. I tried asking about injuries, but he wouldn't dish out any info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad