Jul 27, 2010
Anaheim, CA
upload_2021-2-10_22-35-50.png

WTF is up with this profile pic

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
On a serious note, the Gulls are outshot badly every game, it seems. Good goalies (even if massively undersized) can patch this problem up for a while, but it's not good for the team going forward.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Maybe that one guy that thinks dostal will be ducks starter by end of the year is right....

just kidding but honestly I thought her trip up a little coming over and he looks just as good in ahl as he did in Europe

def think he is Gibson’s back up next year

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Haven't been blown away by any of the new guys so far, really, other than Dostal. Early (early!) returns suggest to me that Perreault and Tracy aren't ready for the pro game yet.

I thought those two wouldn't be ready, but between the two, Perreault would get more out of playing in the AHL than Tracey. Perreault's problem was motivation. Perreault's got speed and vision, but due to his lack of 200-ft effort last year, his game is incomplete. That was a huge part of the reason why he dropped 27th overall. Seeing and hearing Perreault moving about as well as getting targeted (previous game) makes me feel better about him as a prospect going forward.

With Tracey, I really wanted him back with Victoria because they're a defensive system team. He went from a no defense, all offense team in Moose Jaw to a low scoring, defensive minded team in Victoria. Tracy could have develop to become more defensively sound, not be a perimeter player, and be a leader with Victoria this season, if it were not for the pandemic. It's a far bigger splash of reality with Tracey than with Perreault. Tracy's first year in the WHL was his draft year. He was held back because he wasn't ready. That being the case, he's probably a longer term project. In the few games I've seen him with the Gulls, he glides soaking in what's in front of him on the ice than move with purpose as if he's still overwhelmed. Instead of being a late bloomer, he's probably a case of slow bloomer. Well, that's my hope he's just a slow bloomer. Would like to see him continue to bulk up and be willing to battle (not be a perimeter player). I think that's what he was developing with Victoria as they were making him play center at times.

Love, love Dostal. I read a comment about Dostal not making spectacular saves, but he's always in position. That comment reminds me of what JS Giguere used to say about his spectacular saves, paraphrasing, "If you see me making a spectacular save, then it's because I was out of position."

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
One thing I'm noticing from him is he doesn't have much composure in the defensive zone. It's not from a lack of effort, I've seen him bite too hard on some fakes while trying to block a shot or pass. He can really fly when he has space though.
I noticed that too, thankfully it's not from a lack of effort more from being a kid playing with professionals.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I imagine that guys like Perreault either aren't given much or don't absorb much defensive zone coverage coaching in juniors.

Or he didn't want to play it much to start to try to get a feel of nuance on the defensive end. He wasn't motivated enough to play on the defensive side during his draft year, but he'll take off (good way) on offense. Seeing him motivated with the AHL club gives me a lot of relief. I think he's got Lucas Raymond toolkit, but lacking motivation when he's not playing offense. If he does go back to the OHL, then we get to see how well he is able to play in the defensive zone. The AHL play so far reveals to Perreault that there's a large gap for him to cover if he want to play in the NHL.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Wasn't Perrault's junior team REALLY bad? Not saying it's right, but he may have just lost motivation to play. I know playing in rec league sports when I was younger, it was demoralizing to just lose every game. At one point, we had people just stop showing up to games. He's still a kid and might have been going through the same thing. If he fixes that, it ends up being a good thing for us long term.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Wasn't Perrault's junior team REALLY bad? Not saying it's right, but he may have just lost motivation to play. I know playing in rec league sports when I was younger, it was demoralizing to just lose every game. At one point, we had people just stop showing up to games. He's still a kid and might have been going through the same thing. If he fixes that, it ends up being a good thing for us long term.

His team was bad the year before, but he performed better in that year. Drysdale's team is really bad, but Drysdale still stands out. That's the difference between a top-10 pick and bottom first round pick. Also, Drysdale was selected to the WJC's and be a part of the top pairing.

I think Perreault is already fixing it as he's playing in the AHL with better players and probably his same AHL coach in a year or two in Dineen. Because Perreault didn't push himself to gain more experience in the defensive end is why he bites too much. The light is sparked and I'd like to see this Perreault back in the OHL!

Reactions: lwvs84

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
Excited to see if the Gulls can keep this winning streak going today and tomorrow

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Next Ducks game is Tuesday. We have 2 Gulls games on the weekend. I think makes sense to make an ongoing GDT for the Gulls.

Yeah that’s a good idea. Heck, no NHL games this weekend for me, so was planning to watch both Gulls games.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Drysdale has been the Gulss #1 D. Question is still out if he is the offensice catalyst, but he manned the PP quite well it seemed. Just not flashy, but I think long term he might not challenge league D scoring.

Groulx seemed quite passive or step behind everywhere.

Meanwhile Jarvis is also 6 p in 4 games like Z

EDIT: also congrats coach:

Last edited:

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Drysdale has been the Gulss #1 D. Question is still out if he is the offensice catalyst, but he manned the PP quite well it seemed. Just not flashy, but I think long term he might not challenge league D scoring.

Groulx seemed quite passive or step behind everywhere.

Meanwhile Jarvis is also 6 p in 4 games like Z

EDIT: also congrats coach:

He’s still very young. Offense usually takes the longest to develop of any skill for defensemen, sometimes they don’t really hit their stride until they’re well into their 20s. 40-55 pts seems totally reasonable but it may be a few years. IMO he’s not close at all to being NHL ready

Reactions: Kalv
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad