2020-21 San Diego Gulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
He’s still very young. Offense usually takes the longest to develop of any skill for defensemen, sometimes they don’t really hit their stride until they’re well into their 20s. 40-55 pts seems totally reasonable but it may be a few years. IMO he’s not close at all to being NHL ready

Fair points but I don't think anyone (who is being realistic) expected Drysdale to be NHL ready at 18. Even Scott Niedermayer didn't make the NHL on a full-time basis until he was 19. If anything, it is impressive to see him holding his own at the AHL level right now.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
He’s still very young. Offense usually takes the longest to develop of any skill for defensemen, sometimes they don’t really hit their stride until they’re well into their 20s. 40-55 pts seems totally reasonable but it may be a few years. IMO he’s not close at all to being NHL ready

Really? I would have thought defense would be harder to adapt to at a young age... you have to deal with the strength and speed of older players. I just started playing (in my 30's) and offense is so much easier than defending the guys that actually know how to skate and blow past me every single shift :laugh:

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Drysdale has been the Gulss #1 D. Question is still out if he is the offensice catalyst, but he manned the PP quite well it seemed. Just not flashy, but I think long term he might not challenge league D scoring.

The offense surrounding Drysdale is based upon his junior and under production.

2017-18, GTHL U16: GP = 57; 8g + 42a = 50 pts; PPG = 0.877
2018-19, OHL: GP = 63; 7g + 33a = 40 pts; PPG = 0.635; +/- = -24
2019-20, OHL: GP = 49; 9g + 38a = 47 pts; PPG = 0.959; +/- = +9

In interviews for the draft, Drysdale has been trying to prove that he isn't just an offensive defenseman. Guess there's a stigma to him being called an offensive defenseman, which is you can't play defense well. We have seen videos of Drysdale going to defenseman camps to improve this defense so that Drysdale can be trusted in situations late in games to score a goal to tie up the game or to prevent a goal to keep a lead. Between his two OHL seasons, Drysdale has improved his plus/minus rating tremendously while improving his scoring.

I guess his defense is so much better that his offense takes a back seat, which we witnessed in the WJC's as he was paired with F Bowen Byram as his blue linemate. Seriously, Byram played 4th forward so much and Drysdale often hung back to cover everyone else.

It's a new environment for Drysdale. He's an 18-year old playing top pairing in the AHL. That should speak volumes in itself. He's third on the team in scoring with 4 points in 4 games (1g, 3a), which is 1.0 ppg. That's a for a small sample, but Drysdale's offensive production hasn't hit over 1.0 ppg in juniors. He ranked 94th in OHL scoring last year, with several defenseman ahead of him and the highest scoring defenseman had 82 points. Maybe it's unfair to have astronomical expectations that Drysdale's offense will be that will be vying for #1D scoring in the NHL?

I really don't know what more to expect from an 18-year old defenseman in the AHL playing top pairing aside that he's proving some of us correct that he might be vying for the #1 Ducks prospect ranking. But I think the reason Sanderson went ahead of Drysdale was due to Sanderson's flashier game compared to Drysdale's subtle game. Sanderson has booming hits and big time celebrations when he scores. Drysdale just neutralizes forwards and his scoring is just as subtle. Like I didn't realize he has 4 points already because we're so hung up on Zegras leading the team in scoring. I'm grateful Sanderson went ahead b/c I thought Drysdale was always a top-5 pick and we had missed out on the opportunity because we slid down one in the draft.

Reactions: Boo Boo

Mitch Doris

Jan 20, 2021
Record setting weekend for the Gulls against a Colorado team missing some serious players. I think the Eagles were the first actual challenge, credit where credit is due, Jones looks solid for Colorado. Drysdale is just proving what we already knew, and that is hes going to be a franchise D for the Ducks one day, in the mean time lets enjoy his time with the Gulls. Does anyone know if he needs to report to Erie if they start up? I hope not.

Jamie Drysdale Leads Gulls To Record Setting Weekend

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Record setting weekend for the Gulls against a Colorado team missing some serious players. I think the Eagles were the first actual challenge, credit where credit is due, Jones looks solid for Colorado. Drysdale is just proving what we already knew, and that is hes going to be a franchise D for the Ducks one day, in the mean time lets enjoy his time with the Gulls. Does anyone know if he needs to report to Erie if they start up? I hope not.

Jamie Drysdale Leads Gulls To Record Setting Weekend
Yes I believe he does.

Reactions: Mitch Doris

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I guess it’s better than having Kanzig either waste a spot on defense or be forced to play forward.

Gulls also play Bakersfield again this week so maybe they are trying to match their size a bit more.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
As one Jamie will have to go away (OHL), they get another Jamie. The amount of Jamies WILL NOT CHANGE

Reactions: Static

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Haven't seen @HansH around the boards for a while. Don't know what he's up to these days, but hopefully he's OK, given the global situation and all... :/
Genuinely, thank you for the concern.

I'm still here, still kicking, just mostly hunkering down until things are less insane. We're all employed and safely housed, so we're a lot more fortunate than a lot of other people. The boards just haven't been a priority or a drive, is all. Y'all will likely all start being sick of me again sometime next season :)

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

I'm still here, still kicking, just mostly hunkering down until things are less insane. We're all employed and safely housed, so we're a lot more fortunate than a lot of other people. The boards just haven't been a priority or a drive, is all. Y'all will likely all start being sick of me again sometime next season :)
Good to hear from you.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Z tied for league scoring race, Drysdale tied for third place. You could argue that we have the best F, best D and best G in the AHL. Their age? 18, 19, and 20.

The league is not like it was previous years, though.
And Jarvis looks like will be really good. QB 4p in 7 games.

Glad to hear you are well, Hans.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

Good to hear from you. Lets hope we'll all have better days soon.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's certainly earned it. I guess he's going to play monster minutes in all situations back at Erie, but I'd rather he get an exception to stick around with San Diego and continue to develop his game against men.

He’s been excellent in the AHL now, going back to the OHL would be a step back, would just call him up. Ease him into a Top 4 role. If it gives Shattenkirk less mins, well that alone is a plus. Lol. If it’s too much, then send him back. Again, just adding Z and Drysdale is not enough. Need more scoring help.

I honestly thought Drysdale was more ready than Zegras maybe I’m off with this. Z had had some great games but as also shown where he needs development. Drysdale has been consistent pretty much every game and even has very good production going on now.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
He’s been excellent in the AHL now, going back to the OHL would be a step back, would just call him up. Ease him into a Top 4 role. If it gives Shattenkirk less mins, well that alone is a plus. Lol. If it’s too much, then send him back. Again, just adding Z and Drysdale is not enough. Need more scoring help.

I honestly thought Drysdale was more ready than Zegras maybe I’m off with this. Z had had some great games but as also shown where he needs development. Drysdale has been consistent pretty much every game and even has very good production going on now.

Yeah, I'd like to see Zegras slowly transition to C at the AHL before being called up as a wing in the NHL. For Drysdale, there really isn't any other role he can play at the AHL. Now it's just developing what he's already doing.

Reactions: Leonardo87
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

I think Drysdale has been great but I do also acknowledge it's weirdly easier for a young d-man to look good or more polished than a young forward.

Reactions: Leonardo87
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->