2020/21 Roster Thread X: Chuck's time to shine

Status
Not open for further replies.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Surprised there isn’t more uproar about this to be honest. I don’t think I’ve seen a player consistently take as many completely senseless and ill timed penalties as he does. Because he has a total inability to finish, he’s a net negative. Want him no where near this roster next season.

Guess you never saw guys like rinaldo and carcillo

Reactions: deadhead

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I seriously wonder if Couturier re-signs. No one in the media even entertains the notion. If he goes into next season without a new contract, it grows increasingly less likely. It’s not like I expect a wildly successful campaign to sway him. Players talk. Giroux is also in need of a contract; he’s in his last few productive seasons. He watched his prime get wasted. Maybe Couturier doesn’t want to be the next captain and go through the Giroux experience. He seems as exasperated in interviews as anyone, and he knows damn well he’s not at fault in recent years.

I look at Vegas. They need a true 1C. Between their lack of state tax, $11.5m coming off the books for Martinez/McNabb/Smith, success, UFA thirst and appeal.....he will have no shortage of suitors. Between Dugan, Brisson, Krebs they will have some cheap wing available ELCs.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Can't believe I'm saying this but I'd give Corey Perry a strong look next year

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I seriously wonder if Couturier re-signs. No one in the media even entertains the notion. If he goes into next season without a new contract, it grows increasingly less likely. It’s not like I expect a wildly successful campaign to sway him. Players talk. Giroux is also in need of a contract; he’s in his last few productive seasons. He watched his prime get wasted. Maybe Couturier doesn’t want to be the next captain and go through the Giroux experience. He seems as exasperated in interviews as anyone, and he knows damn well he’s not at fault in recent years.

I look at Vegas. They need a true 1C. Between their lack of state tax, $11.5m coming off the books for Martinez/McNabb/Smith, success, UFA thirst and appeal.....he will have no shortage of suitors. Between Dugan, Brisson, Krebs they will have some cheap wing available ELCs.

It is actually funny with all the calls for the changing of the “core” but the choice could potentially not even be in Fletcher’s hands. If they lose one or both this team is going to get considerably worse in the short term.

I get we’re headed towards a bottom 10 finish potentially this year. So I get the claim will be “well we suck right now with them” but that’s with the league worst goaltending. Coututier & Giroux by any standard have been very good this year individually.

So like even with goaltending normalizing if you take one or both of them especially this team is going to get bad in a hurry. As they don’t really have any clear replacements in the pipeline. Bottom ten finishes with more sustainability could realistically be on the menu.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It is actually funny with all the calls for the changing of the “core” but the choice could potentially not even be in Fletcher’s hands. If they lose one or both this team is going to get considerably worse in the short term.

I get we’re headed towards a bottom 10 finish potentially this year. So I get the claim will be “well we suck right now with them” but that’s with the league worst goaltending. Coututier & Giroux by any standard have been very good this year individually.

So like even with goaltending normalizing if you take one or both of them especially this team is going to get bad in a hurry. As they don’t really have any clear replacements in the pipeline. Bottom ten finishes with more sustainability could realistically be on the menu.

At least when Giroux and Couturier leave, we will get a new core. They’ve been the rotten mainstays since Lavy. Time for something new.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If we consider the recent Laughton deal, we might end up with Giroux signing an 8 year contract for $10m per.

You never now what’s going to happen when you have a GM with bias for action and no clue what he’s doing.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I expect G at 35 to sign a 2 year deal at a reasonable salary, say $5-6M a year. It's not like there's a hot market for 35 year old forwards.
Couts is tougher, 8x8 is heartburn at the end, 8x10 I start exploring the trade market.
Reason is he gets dinged a lot, and as we've seen, while Couts at 80% is still a good player, he's not an elite player.
He'll turn 30 the first year of his new deal, do you want to pay him $10M a year at 35-37?

Reactions: IronMarshal

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I thought you liked unskilled morons who have attitude?
I laughed when people were upset the Flyers didn’t acquire Subban from Nashville & I said NJ got hoodwinked. Anyone who watched Subban in the preceding playoffs should have known he was a mess, was out of position, looked injured & couldn’t skate, was forcing dumb plays, all for a ridiculous contract.

mize370

Nov 2, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
I laughed when people were upset the Flyers didn’t acquire Subban from Nashville & I said NJ got hoodwinked. Anyone who watched Subban in the preceding playoffs should have known he was a mess, was out of position, looked injured & couldn’t skate, was forcing dumb plays, all for a ridiculous contract.

Sounds perfect for us!!!

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Pretty much.

I see Subban as an anchor, but I'm betting that Fletcher does not.

Yup, and Therrien will be working on his best sales pitch to help get PK to Philly. Patrick and Ghost will probably be going the other way.

You know Fletch was mad as hell when NJ beat him to the Subban punch and he had to settle for Niskanen, even though that trade happened first.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
We know how this goes...
They get abysmal goaltending and now with the “effort” complaint are convinced they need to shake things up with a hockey trade!
Next year we get good goaltending and the authentics pat Fletcher on the back for making the team in front of the goalie worse. We lose in the playoffs because the team isn’t good enough. The guy they trade goes on to win a cup

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

The team has never really been in such a situation, so if that happens on their watch they should consider it supremely embarrassing.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Can't believe I'm saying this but I'd give Corey Perry a strong look next year

tenor.gif

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Are some people putting Sanheim into the role, once held by Chris Therrien, as the defenseman on the Flyers to be trashed? Give me a break. Get off of his case.
He’s 25 years old, has played 241 NHL games, & is pacing for 24 points and a -32 over an 82 game season.

He is soft & non-confrontational, his defense in the last third of his own zone is meek & pathetic, & his offense far from makes up for it.

He earns $3.25M & is an RFA in need of a new contract.

Cam York is a top LHD prospect on the cusp of the NHL who will immediately knock at the door of a 2nd pairing role (in my eyes, he’s clearly superior to Sanheim as a defenseman).

You do the math.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It gives me no pleasure. I think a crucial need this team has with watching so many things fall apart. If we're sitting here arguing about leadership and young players vs. old players and whatnot, I can't imagine that discussion isn't happening in Voorhees either. The is not to make a case to the message board 'Giroux is a bad leader.'

You can be critical of Corey Perry for a lot of things, whether it being him washed up or in general being a total shitheel, but one thing he does have is that he's seen all the battles. I'm like talking about the guy in the room who isn't the captain but is the guy who is right. The Caps kind of have this with Chara. Pronger served this role once before even if he played a much larger role. Tom Brady served this purpose too, he showed up to a dead franchise and play time was over and it's time to get serious and ain't no one clapping back.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Is there a veteran RHD who can do that? Because that's a real need.

This team is soft, and the leaders are Voracek, JVR and Hayes - guys that size should be throwing their weight around on a regular basis, setting the tone for the team. You see TK do it, he's fearless, Farabee takes his skinny body to the dirty areas, Lindblom when healthy goes into corners without fear.

Couts and Giroux are great in their own way, but neither sets the tone - and that's what this team needs.
Perry might bring the 'tude, but who sits for him?

Reactions: IronMarshal

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
There’s no roster spot at wing for an aging Perry, as much as I completely agree the Flyers are much too soft.

They’re going to have to address the softness issue in different ways.

Reactions: flyerslducks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille