Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Reactions: Tripod

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Montour's not particularly good. I'm all for giving up assets to get non-rental players if you think you're ready to contend, but they have to hit a much higher bar than that.

That's the type you look to add when he's free if you think there's more juice to be squeezed.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
While we're on the subject of the Preds' firesale, the only players I would be interested in at anywhere near to expected cost are Ekholm, Forsberg, and Cousins.

Friedman listed their untouchables as Josi/Ellis/Rinne, so I didn't consider them.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
That's not what I am saying. Flyers trade a 1st round pick for Ekholm. Seattle selects Ekholm in the expansion draft. Flyers keep JVR and Ghost.

Versus:

Flyers trade for no one at the expansion draft. Flyers trade Seattle a 1st round pick to select someone not named JVR or Ghost in the ED.
I misunderstood your proposition. I’m still not interested in flipping a first for Ekholm and then losing him in the ED. That’s a pricey play.
I don’t think that Nashville is interested in draft choices in return for Ekholm. They’d want young inexpensive talent such as Zamula or York. No deal there.
There are several things in play with making trades right now. Obviously cap space, today and in the future; the entry draft; as well as the finances of clubs that are losing revenue due to limited attendance. Some organizations can’t afford what they currently have on their books. These things could force or stymie trades depending on the franchise.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
You will maybe hate this, you will maybe don't want comparable trade like Lindros again. Just for fun.

What about Eichel?

We have pieces to acquire him I believe.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
What is keeping guys like Braun and Hagg in the lineup is PK time. AV is using one of them as the 4th PKer, so an actual upgrade to the defense will come from someone who can fill that role. Obviously Ekholm checks that box, but it likely throws off the pairings in what right now needs to be the top 4 (9-53, 6-5). Ekholm-Sanheim would be a pretty awesome pairing, but they'd likely go with Provorov-Myers which is less than ideal. I really just don't trust they actually figure it out in time for it to be a net gain worth the price of the trade itself.

Could they find an actual upgrade for the 4th PKer that fits on the 3rd pairing? Does he play with Hagg, Gus, or Braun? Should they have given away Friedman? Could they have avoided this whole situation by bringing in a good player instead of quickly resigning Braun?

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
If I can get him and not have to give up a 1/top prospect I would want Savard. CBJ stinks this year and only a matter of time before Savard/Foligno available. Montour for a 3 I guess but I am not exactly gushing. Please no bleeping Staal. Ekholm its not giving up the 1 I have the issue with but having to lose one of Patrick, Ekblom, Lindblom in the ED.

Reactions: renberg

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
You will maybe hate this, you will maybe don't want comparable trade like Lindros again. Just for fun.

What about Eichel?

We have pieces to acquire him I believe.

No. As I've mentioned in the past, it has nothing to do with skill or cost. I just have a feeling that he's poison to a locker room.

Reactions: Rebels57

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
outside the box:

Konecny +Hagg for Ekholm +Arvidsson

Arv at 4.25 for 3 more years after this one
Ek at 3.75 for 1 more year after this one
8 million total

TK at 5.5 for 4 more years after this one
Hagg at 1.6 for 1 more year after this one
7.1 million total

Obviously you only do this if you think Arvidsson will rebound to be a 60 pt guy. And we of course get the big upgrade on D. So sacrifice 1 year at F of control and some points for the upgrade on D for 2 playoffs.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The Flyers don't have the cap space to just add Montour for a pick.

They also aren't going to want a D corps that consists of Ghost, Gus, and Montour.

One of Ghost or Gus would go the other way if Montour is coming back.

And it would be a decision of preferring a natural RH shot.

That said, if Ghost continues to move better and play well, the point may be moot.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What is keeping guys like Braun and Hagg in the lineup is PK time. AV is using one of them as the 4th PKer, so an actual upgrade to the defense will come from someone who can fill that role. Obviously Ekholm checks that box, but it likely throws off the pairings in what right now needs to be the top 4 (9-53, 6-5). Ekholm-Sanheim would be a pretty awesome pairing, but they'd likely go with Provorov-Myers which is less than ideal. I really just don't trust they actually figure it out in time for it to be a net gain worth the price of the trade itself.

Could they find an actual upgrade for the 4th PKer that fits on the 3rd pairing? Does he play with Hagg, Gus, or Braun? Should they have given away Friedman? Could they have avoided this whole situation by bringing in a good player instead of quickly resigning Braun?

Bringing in what good player, they tried for Brodie, Barrie had no interest, not a lot of other options unless you wanted to give Schultz 2yr/$8M - he's stayed healthy so far, but oddsmakers will give you good odds that won't continue.

Ekholm is 4th on Tenn in ES TOI, behind Fabbro, of the three 30 year old D-men, he's the one they're shopping.
I think they want to move him to give #22 pick Tinordi more PT.

Nothing wrong with Braun, he has a slow start, probably due to lack of TC and being paired with Hagg, but playing much better lately.
I'm not sold on a Ekholm/Sanheim pairing, and he'll be too expensive to use as the 3rd LHD.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
outside the box:

Konecny +Hagg for Ekholm +Arvidsson

Arv at 4.25 for 3 more years after this one
Ek at 3.75 for 1 more year after this one
8 million total

TK at 5.5 for 4 more years after this one
Hagg at 1.6 for 1 more year after this one
7.1 million total

Obviously you only do this if you think Arvidsson will rebound to be a 60 pt guy. And we of course get the big upgrade on D. So sacrifice 1 year at F of control and some points for the upgrade on D for 2 playoffs.
NOOOOOO.

Konecny has one of the best contracts in the NHL. Its not worthy to trade him for Ekholm, Arvidsson in my eyes.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I will add that I haven't watched enough of Montour to offer an opinion as to whether he would be a useful exchange for a similar-styled LH shot D. So I'm not pushing for it; I'm just noting that I picked up in Keith Jones' voice that he was a player that probably has been bounced around as an idea.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
My gut says they can’t put a package together for Eichel because Colorado or LA can blow them out of the water if they desire. And both of those teams are in the West.

I think this applies to Hagg more than Braun, but I understand the thought process.

My major concern is that there just aren’t many Defensemen on the planet who tick all 3 required boxes for me if I was to add someone of this archetype — good on the PK, trusted to PK by a traditional coach, and good in transition.

In no way do I want to add a Defensemen who can’t start transitional play at a plus level. The difference in this team when they can push the pace in transition and when they can’t is epic.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Gostisbehere has been able to get his offensive game back on track. It’s not what it once was but it’s good. His defense was a problem but it has improved. Not great but better. Right now my concern with him are the knees. How much is left in them? Anyone can get injured but a player with a history is more open to that. Would it be smart to sell high on him if a fair offer came in?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Gostisbehere has been able to get his offensive game back on track. It’s not what it once was but it’s good. His defense was a problem but it has improved. Not great but better. Right now my concern with him are the knees. How much is left in them? Anyone can get injured but a player with a history is more open to that. Would it be smart to sell high on him if a fair offer came in?

Ghost and Voracek will probably be exposed in the ED (simple, JVR has one less year at one less million, so Voracek losses any tie).

If Ghost isn't taken, he has two years left on his deal, and while his knees are a long-term concern, the kind of surgery he had doesn't give any reason to worry about him over a shorter time horizon (i.e. a couple seasons).

Reactions: renberg

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
I misunderstood your proposition. I’m still not interested in flipping a first for Ekholm and then losing him in the ED. That’s a pricey play.
I don’t think that Nashville is interested in draft choices in return for Ekholm. They’d want young inexpensive talent such as Zamula or York. No deal there.
There are several things in play with making trades right now. Obviously cap space, today and in the future; the entry draft; as well as the finances of clubs that are losing revenue due to limited attendance. Some organizations can’t afford what they currently have on their books. These things could force or stymie trades depending on the franchise.

Not saying I would or wouldn’t give up a lot for Eckholm, but if he’s taken in the ED, it saves Ghost or JVR. So you really have to think of the trade as a 1st for 3 months of Eckholm + Ghost or JVR for the remainder of their deals.

Reactions: ajgoal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad