2020/21 Roster Thread VI: The Edge of Gory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I just think that given what Lindblom went thru with cancer here they would not take him. AND given that the other options are Patrick, JVR and Jake, he would not be taken.

If they want young and upside, they pick Patrick...especially because they have been trying to get better centers for years.

If they go with a guarantee...then it's JVR and Jake in the discussion

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I just think that given what Lindblom went thru with cancer here they would not take him. AND given that the other options are Patrick, JVR and Jake, he would not be taken.

If they want young and upside, they pick Patrick...especially because they have been trying to get better centers for years.

You're overthinking this. We're gonna go 7-3-1 lol

Reactions: Tripod

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

If Lindblom has a statistical surge in the 2nd half of the season, I’d bet a very analytically inclined organization like Seattle considers taking him, especially with the other options on the table. Pre-cancer diagnosis, Oskar looked like one of the better 5v5 possession forwards in the league. Unlike Patrick, Lindblom actually has a track record of being a top 6 forward. I’m not sure why a professional team in the interest of their own success would outright pass that up because of Oskar’s story. If the Flyers left him unprotected and he’s taken — after all he went through — it’s their own fault.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If Lindblom has a statistical surge in the 2nd half of the season, I’d bet a very analytically inclined organization like Seattle considers taking him, especially with the other options on the table. Pre-cancer diagnosis, Oskar looked like one of the better 5v5 possession forwards in the league. Unlike Patrick, Lindblom actually has a track record of being a top 6 forward. I’m not sure why a professional team in the interest of their own success would outright pass that up because of Oskar’s story. If the Flyers left him unprotected and he’s taken — after all he went through — it’s their own fault.
Fair points.

But in my posts earlier...I did say if Lindblom and Patrick continued to play as they have been all year....so was expanding off that point.

And Rebel is right...overthinking things...lol.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Personally I wouldn't trade the 1st this year. Prospects are hard enough to judge in the best of times but so many have had their years messed up with covid that a player who would easily have gone top 10 will be available late in the first.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016
Personally I wouldn't trade the 1st this year. Prospects are hard enough to judge in the best of times but so many have had their years messed up with covid that a player who would easily have gone top 10 will be available late in the first.
If the upgrade meant a better chance of getting out of this division I would trade our first. Scouts are going to have a hard time giving any kind of input with so many players not playing for a while.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
If the upgrade meant a better chance of getting out of this division I would trade our first. Scouts are going to have a hard time giving any kind of input with so many players not playing for a while.
There isn’t an upgrade out there that significantly increases the chances of getting out of the division.

I am not sure what everyone is seeing with how this team is playing that it’s only one player away from competing for a cup. Myers and Hart are having some normal growing pains and Lindblom and Patrick are getting back up to speed. Next season seems like the better year to go for it.

Besides moving 1st round picks at the deadline is almost always stupid. It’s better for those type of deals in the offseason.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
There isn’t an upgrade out there that significantly increases the chances of getting out of the division.

I am not sure what everyone is seeing with how this team is playing that it’s only one player away from competing for a cup. Myers and Hart are having some normal growing pains and Lindblom and Patrick are getting back up to speed. Next season seems like the better year to go for it.

Besides moving 1st round picks at the deadline is almost always stupid. It’s better for those type of deals in the offseason.
I don't have a problem giving up a first round pick if they fully intend to extend Ekholm beyond next season and believe they will be able.

Reactions: Canfly

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Starting to think at this point they might be better off dangling Patrick to Seattle.
I really can't see Fletcher taking that risk. We could easily have another Patrick Sharp situation.

I think the logical candidate right now is Voracek. He's still a valuable player, but considering his contract he's underperforming and he's not getting younger.

Reactions: Rebels57

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Voracek isn't "underperforming". In fact, he's doing very well, given the circumstances.

He has 13 points in 16 games and has consistently looked good individually. And only three of those points are on the PP, where he's only spent half of his time on the Giroux unit.

And all that 5v5 scoring has been with only spotty help. Most common linemate is Patrick - who everyone agrees has not been playing well, regardless of why that is - and since coming back from the COVID list he's been with Laughton and Lindblom, who is also doing very little on the ice.

Reactions: Canfly

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
How good do people think Ekholm is going to be in his 30s.
Would you sacrifice a top prospect to keep Braun at 31? And Braun was as good as Ekholm at the same age.
Ekholm will be 31 next year, not a good candidate for a big money extension.

York and Zamula are both high IQ guys who'll be NHL ready very quickly. Just go with these two.
If I'm trading, it's in the summer when I can package say a 1st, Millman (no room at the inn), and say Allison/Ratcliffe for a top four RHD.

Reactions: renberg

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I wonder if all this anti-Voracek attitude would be gone if he were a more stoic interview. Some of you hate fun
I think it's also because he doesn't shoot as much as the bang-on-glass and yell "shoot" during PP fans want him to.

I bet they'd be shocked to find out that he actually took shots at a higher rate than guys like Giroux and Couturier over the previous three seasons and was just barely under TK.

Reactions: wankstifier

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No, the problem with Voracek is he's not much of a two way player anymore.

xGF 43.99% (above only Bunnaman among forwards), xGFrel -6.89, so it's not a line mate effect.
He's just not playing well.
Last year xGFrel +1.41, 7th among forwards.

He can score on the PP, but he's not a line driver at 5x5 anymore.
If he was making $5M a year, I don't think he'd take much flak, but at $8.25M you should be playing at a 1st line or top 2nd line level.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
If he is still Flyers’ property after the ED, Jake needs to get together with Provorov and get into shape to best be able to utilize the skills that he has left. With the salary that he pulls down, he needs to produce more. Another season like this one and he may be a buyout candidate

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Because I know it's going to get lost in the chaos of the GDT, this needs to be noted again:

The lines and pairs tonight

That's shockingly bad, even for AV.

EDIT: and then follows it up with this... 14 minutes total...

f51a36908e0900498f5e9a3eb54a7e64.png

Last edited:

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I really can't see Fletcher taking that risk. We could easily have another Patrick Sharp situation.

I think the logical candidate right now is Voracek. He's still a valuable player, but considering his contract he's underperforming and he's not getting younger.
Patrick has shown nothing to suggest he is going to be anything more than a 3rd line center at best. There is nothing about his game that stands out. He's obviously young but there is nothing about his skillset to suggest that a big breakout is coming down the road. Right now Scott Laughton is a much better and more valuable player to this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad