2020/21 Roster Thread VI: The Edge of Gory

Status
Not open for further replies.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Not Goligoski exactly, but I am down on just getting actual third pairing defensemen instead of whatever they're going to trade for Ekholm

Yeah Goligoski is just one I came up with (plays top pairing mins for AZ, UFA at end of the year), but an upgrade at 5/6 is what I would go for.

Reactions: landsbergfan

eaglesfan0366

Nov 26, 2017
We need LD I think.

Our RDs are Ghost, Myers and Braun. And I doubt that AV will scratch Braun. And I dont see Ghost on LD, he is much better on RD.

Charlie O says the Flyers need a righty more than a lefty for whatever that is worth

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Yeah Goligoski is just one I came up with (plays top pairing mins for AZ, UFA at end of the year), but an upgrade at 5/6 is what I would go for.
Something like this for cheap or just bring up Hogberg who looks good and can play either side. This isn't the season to give up big assets for something that may be lost in the ED or cause something else to be exposed/lost.

Reactions: BestPlayerAvailable

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you keep Ghost in the top 4, not sure it makes sense to trade for a D-man for the 3rd pair, doubt you're going to upgrade over Braun unless you're trading for top 4 talent, and that would then be a waste of assets. They may want to find someone more reliable than Gus, but that would also be sacrificing his PP skills.

So a top 4 guy only makes sense if you're gonna move Ghost to the 3rd pair, and a bottom pair upgrade should be low cost.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Looking at upgrades, the thought should be to get Braun/Guss into a #7 spot.

Its them you want to move down, and out alongside Hagg. The bar for upgrades imo, should be a true top 4 or better, not more 3rd pairing guys.

The days of being content with a marginal trash on the roster needs to end. Aspiring cup contenders set the bar higher.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
At the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if this is also what management thinks. Must have right-handed defenseman to pair with Provorov.

Oh I don't doubt that AV isn't begging for a trash defenseman to put with Provorov because of handedness. The reality is though, they aren't getting anyone better than Ghost through trade for that spot.

Reactions: Striiker

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
If you keep Ghost in the top 4, not sure it makes sense to trade for a D-man for the 3rd pair, doubt you're going to upgrade over Braun unless you're trading for top 4 talent, and that would then be a waste of assets. They may want to find someone more reliable than Gus, but that would also be sacrificing his PP skills.

So a top 4 guy only makes sense if you're gonna move Ghost to the 3rd pair, and a bottom pair upgrade should be low cost.
Fair. I'd still see what we could get for a 5th or 6th rounder to ensure we have some depth (over Hagg) in case of injury unless we think someone on the Phantoms is ready.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Wouldn't it be better to see if Zamula or Hogberg can help the defense before doing a trade. Sure the defense has its deficiencies, don't be fooled by playing well for two games against the Sabres, and needs me tweaks. However the long game has to be considered and that means the ED. Going 4-4 with the protection list is out. It leaves forwards exposed that the organization needs to keep. Going 7-3 would leave a valuable defenseman exposed such as Ekholm he were to be acquired which would mean that the assets sent off to get him would have been wasted.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Oh I don't doubt that AV isn't begging for a trash defenseman to put with Provorov because of handedness. The reality is though, they aren't getting anyone better than Ghost through trade for that spot.

Agreed

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Not to start a war on the subject but who is the better overall defenseman, Ekholm or Gostisbehere?

If I had to choose between the two I take Ghost rather easily. But I can understand the rationale for some who may not feel that way.

That said, the premise of my comment was based on the idea that management wants a true RHD to plug into that hole, so inwas excluding Ek from that scenario. I wasn't very clear in that handedness issue in my second statement, but I think it still holds fairly true.

Reactions: Striiker

eaglesfan0366

Nov 26, 2017
Wouldn't it be better to see if Zamula or Hogberg can help the defense before doing a trade. Sure the defense has its deficiencies, don't be fooled by playing well for two games against the Sabres, and needs me tweaks. However the long game has to be considered and that means the ED. Going 4-4 with the protection list is out. It leaves forwards exposed that the organization needs to keep. Going 7-3 would leave a valuable defenseman exposed such as Ekholm he were to be acquired which would mean that the assets sent off to get him would have been wasted.

Right now we are looking at leaving JVR and Ghost unprotected. If we trade say a 1st round pick for Ekholm, use him as a rental, then Seattle selects him. Is that much different from trading a 1st round pick to Seattle to not take one of Ghost or JVR?

Reactions: Curufinwe

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
upload_2021-3-1_11-37-18.png

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The idea that we should spend assets to remove Ghost, of all people, from the top 4 is some serious galaxy brain shit. :laugh:

There’s really nothing the guy can do to escape being severely underrated, huh?

Reactions: Beef Invictus

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Right now we are looking at leaving JVR and Ghost unprotected. If we trade say a 1st round pick for Ekholm, use him as a rental, then Seattle selects him. Is that much different from trading a 1st round pick to Seattle to not take one of Ghost or JVR?
That might be so. If it was, its a deal that I wouldn't make. Seattle has most likely gone to school on how LV ripped off some clubs with the way that they used the ED so I suspect that they'll be out there attempting to do similar things. They know that the Flyers farm system is loaded with talent and will try to snag as much of it that they can. For the Flyers, their approach to the ED has to be one where they bleed as little as possible. First round draft choices should be off limits. Tossing top talent/draft choices to Seattle to keep them away from an acquired Ekholm just doesn't seem like a good use of assets.

Reactions: orangey

eaglesfan0366

Nov 26, 2017
That might be so. If it was, its a deal that I wouldn't make. Seattle has most likely gone to school on how LV ripped off some clubs with the way that they used the ED so I suspect that they'll be out there attempting to do similar things. They know that the Flyers farm system is loaded with talent and will try to snag as much of it that they can. For the Flyers, their approach to the ED has to be one where they bleed as little as possible. First round draft choices should be off limits. Tossing top talent/draft choices to Seattle to keep them away from an acquired Ekholm just doesn't seem like a good use of assets.

That's not what I am saying. Flyers trade a 1st round pick for Ekholm. Seattle selects Ekholm in the expansion draft. Flyers keep JVR and Ghost.

Versus:

Flyers trade for no one at the expansion draft. Flyers trade Seattle a 1st round pick to select someone not named JVR or Ghost in the ED.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Was reading The Athletic's top potential trade deadline list.

2nd best defensemen available after Eckholm is Brandon Montour, who is a righty for 3.85M with one year left on his deal. Would he be an upgrade on the third pairing?

Montour was pretty much shite this weekend.

I don't see him as an upgrade at the moment with Ghost, Myers, Braun on the right.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
If they traded for Montour, I imagine it would be Ghost for Montour. You aren't going to want both of those players in your top 6.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Reactions: Prongo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad