2020/21 Roster Thread VI: The Edge of Gory

Status
Not open for further replies.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Ghost + Provorov works alright but is it a pair that will get us a Cup? I dont think it is. That would be the purpose of Ekholm. Thing is, can either Provy or Ekholm play RD?

Does he play RD? I don’t know if he has or if he hasn’t. I like Elholm. A lot. The fit is what gives me pause.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hypothetically we could be outbid by any team haha. It wouldn’t be “cheap” but you can acquire him without bleeding your system easily.

I just think Boston will go to a level we arent comfortable with because they can protect him in expansion.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Does he play RD? I don’t know if he has or if he hasn’t. I like Elholm. A lot. The fit is what gives me pause.

I think I read somewhere that he can and has played on the right. But I can't recall the source.

And again, on the expansion draft: You're not spending a 1st JUST for 40 games+ playoffs of Ekholm. You're spending it for 40 games + playoffs of Ekholm AND being assured of going into next season with Provorov, Sanheim, Myers, plus AT LEAST either him or Ghost in your top four, as opposed to being only certain of having the first three. (not directed at you, TB)

But as @Rebels57 says, you're probably getting outbid anyway.

Reactions: VladDrag and TB87

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think he only played RD with Josi and that has only been 111 minutes over the last three seasons. And some of that may have just been overlapping shifts and not an actual partnership.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Nah, not a fan of exposing NP & Oskar.

Also, Ekholm on the 3rd paid? You drinking early today? ;)
I would not do a deal but I don’t think NP or Oskar would necessarily be the pick with JVR, Voracek and Ghost also being available. A lot of risk for either player for Seattle.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Those numbers aren't sustainable, due to inflated personal and on-ice shooting percentages, so they'll come down eventually... BUT... It doesn't really matter because what really matters is he clearly looks much better than he did last year.

More confident, quicker, stronger. That stuff is here to stay, even when the points slow down a bit.

Reactions: Tripod and TB87

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
seen this dance all too many times. Pretty much teams aren’t moving top end talent unless they are making an absolute blockbuster of a deal. Ekholm is a good player, he isn’t returning multiple premium assets. I would think one of the most valuable pieces going back would be the 1st rounder in the deal.

Someone on the main board mentioned the Muzzin deal. I could see that structure for a deal. Depending on the type of prospects it would be a 2nd or 1st rounder going back.

And almost sure Ekholm can and will play RD
I agree, I think a deal starts with a 1 or a premium prospect and then another decent piece or two gets added in. The Kings essentially got the value of a 1 and two mid round picks when you factor in the two prospects they got.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Lol just noticed that only Braun and Bunnamann have fewer shots than Patrick on the season.

He's really strong along the boards - I can see him becoming Coots or G-level at board battles.

He's becoming a really intense forechecker - tenacious on players and pucks.

He rushes back defensively and has made a lot of little plays that reduce pressure.

He has incredible passing skills - decision-making and execution are still works in progress, but the vision is there.

He's gotta start shooting more, make his own luck. The goals will come and then maybe he gains some momentum.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Lol just noticed that only Braun and Bunnamann have fewer shots than Patrick on the season.

He's really strong along the boards - I can see him becoming Coots or G-level at board battles.

He's becoming a really intense forechecker - tenacious on players and pucks.

He rushes back defensively and has made a lot of little plays that reduce pressure.

He has incredible passing skills - decision-making and execution are still works in progress, but the vision is there.

He's gotta start shooting more, make his own luck. The goals will come and then maybe he gains some momentum.

He really needs to change his mindset. He has a heavy wrist-shot but the amount of opportunities he passes up is frustrating. Hopefully it comes.

Reactions: flyersnorth
Oct 26, 2018
somewhere
www.facebook.com
What in the world?! How can you watch the Flyers and come away unimpressed by Sanheim. The guy is killing it this season and has been their best dman. Friedman maybe better or equal to Sanheim, that's a good laugh.

im not very impressed by this guy. and i mean it.

he can do so much better than what he showed us, im hard on him, because he nned consistency more, i think he could be a game braker if he could improve his game.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Patrick has heavy shot but he's had trouble finding time and space to get it off / through in the NHL. Even going back to his first two seasons, a lot of his goals came around the net mouth, or close to the net on the rush. I get what he was trying to do with Hayes today on that one play but he was in perfect shooting position and he needs to take that shot.

Oct 26, 2018
somewhere
www.facebook.com
It would probably be fine in comparison to other pairs. Good even. But York isn’t as aggressive offensively as his reputation or stats suggest. He’s not a huge risk taker and would probably be fine deferring a lot to Provorov and just being efficient. Maybe someone like Zamula has that assertiveness and confidence. Truthfully, I’m not sure the Flyers have that 50-60 point potential player in the organization a la vintage Ghost. Maybe the guy with the best offensive instincts of the bunch is another LHD who can’t even get on the PP.

Zamula could be an improvment over sanheim, they play the same game.

York could fit well with an offensive defebder like ghost.
Provorov is the best all around, but he doesnt take any risk, he always play it the score too
Hes the most dangerous guy at the blue line, hes very creative with the puck.

one could say, that the flyers style is prudent, they play the risks pourcentages a lot on their choices of plays.

x DeCruze

Dec 7, 2012
im not very impressed by this guy. and i mean it.

he can do so much better than what he showed us, im hard on him, because he nned consistency more, i think he could be a game braker if he could improve his game.
Well I'll take the guy who spends barely any time in his zone because he's always driving the play when he's on the ice. He doesn't get PP time, always the first dman removed off pp2 for worse options. And every dman we have that plays with Sanheim does better with Sanheim.

Oct 26, 2018
somewhere
www.facebook.com
And Sanheim is at his best when he has a CYA defender next to him to clean up his mistakes, more and more I think he's going to be a Carlson type defenseman, great on offense but you want a steady two way guy next to him willing to defer. Too bad Provorov - Sanheim doesn't seem to work well, maybe b/c both are true LHDs.

Myers needs to be better defensively and defer to Sanheim if those two stay together, which works, b/c Myers has the point shot and the speed to get back and cover mistakes, and in the D-zone is the physical presence that takes the pressure off Sanheim. Maybe just a matter of experience.

The problem going forward on defense won't be talent but chemistry. We need to find a young Niskanen.

Sanheim make a lot of mistakes people dont see.
He can play very well against bad team like buffalo, but against thouger competition, he tends to play a safe game that i dont like from him.

Oct 26, 2018
somewhere
www.facebook.com
I have loved Ekholm for a long long time. Would welcome that man with open arms. Our top four would be extremely solid with him being here. Even could create solid depth with Ghost staying with Provy and moving Myers around between the second and third pairing.

Ekholm, i say yes, very good idea. muzzin stabilisez so much the leafs defense as comparative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad