2020/21 Roster Thread VI: The Edge of Gory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I have loved Ekholm for a long long time. Would welcome that man with open arms. Our top four would be extremely solid with him being here. Even could create solid depth with Ghost staying with Provy and moving Myers around between the second and third pairing.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I don’t think that’s really something Fletcher would do. Or any GM to be honest. Ekholm only has 1.5 years left. He’s valuable but he’s not returning a teams top 5 prospects.
He's a legit top four D who is NOT a pending UFA. He would instantly be the Flyers second best D and they have a big need to upgrade the position. It's going to take a lot to get him in a trade.

Reactions: Swic21

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don’t think that’s really something Fletcher would do. Or any GM to be honest. Ekholm only has 1.5 years left. He’s valuable but he’s not returning a teams top 5 prospects.

Especially with the Expansion ramifications on top of it.

I'm cool with a move for Ekholm, but York and Zamula are non-starters.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
The expansion draft essentially makes it a non starter. We either lose him, or a really significant piece upfront.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Ekholm eh? The fit....I’m not seeing it. Anyone care to explain how he’d fit in this lineup?

Ghost & Provorov works
Sanheim & Myers works
Ekholm & Braun?

I’m at a loss to find the fit. Are they trading Ghost? Does Ekholm play well on his offside because Provorov sure won’t move to his offside to accommodate Ekholm?

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
He's a legit top four D who is NOT a pending UFA. He would instantly be the Flyers second best D and they have a big need to upgrade the position. It's going to take a lot to get him in a trade.
I'm all for adding a top 4 defenseman. But he's a LHD. Can he play RD?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Especially with the Expansion ramifications on top of it.

I'm cool with a move for Ekholm, but York and Zamula are non-starters.
And here is the thing...Patrick and Lindblom have struggled this year not surprising...so could we maybe go 4-4 in expansion?

G, Hayes, TK, Couts
Provy, Myers, Ek, Sanheim

Obviously the top choices are Jake, JVR, Patrick, Lindblom and Ghost.

Take Jake: well then 8.25 million freed up to replace him
Take JVR: well then 7 million freed up
Patrick: likely the pick if someone doesn't want Cap and wants young upside
LIndblom: Given the other options and his cancer scare, I don't think he would be taken anyways
Ghost: gets taken if they want a D but if not, then our D is stacked again

Just spitballin...but trading for EK could be worth it depending on what you give up.

Provy Ghost
Sanheim Myers
Ek Braun

Then Z and York replace EK and Braun in 2022.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I'm all for adding a top 4 defenseman. But he's a LHD. Can he play RD?
I couldn't answer that. I am also not saying I would or wouldn't give up this that or the other for him. I just know it's not going to be cheap to trade for him. As a pure rental the deal would probably start with a first or high end prospect, and considering he is still under contract for next year at an absolute bargain cap hit of 3.75 million Nashville should get a lot for him.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
Ekholm eh? The fit....I’m not seeing it. Anyone care to explain how he’d fit in this lineup?

Ghost & Provorov works
Sanheim & Myers works
Ekholm & Braun?

I’m at a loss to find the fit. Are they trading Ghost? Does Ekholm play well on his offside because Provorov sure won’t move to his offside to accommodate Ekholm?
Provorov-Gostisbehere
Ekholm-Myers
Sanheim-Braun

Sanheim is only defender with whom Braun plays well, because of Sanheim is great.

Myers can play much more offensive game with Ekholm.

But yeah, ED is a problem. And cap as well.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
The Flyers aren't giving up premium value to get a player like Ekholm to play him on the third pair. If they get him he will be in their top four somewhere.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia

seen this dance all too many times. Pretty much teams aren’t moving top end talent unless they are making an absolute blockbuster of a deal. Ekholm is a good player, he isn’t returning multiple premium assets. I would think one of the most valuable pieces going back would be the 1st rounder in the deal.

Someone on the main board mentioned the Muzzin deal. I could see that structure for a deal. Depending on the type of prospects it would be a 2nd or 1st rounder going back.

And almost sure Ekholm can and will play RD

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Ghost & Provorov works
Sanheim & Myers works
Ekholm & Braun?

Ghost + Provorov works alright but is it a pair that will get us a Cup? I dont think it is. That would be the purpose of Ekholm. Thing is, can either Provy or Ekholm play RD?

Reactions: Hurricane28

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Provorov-Gostisbehere
Ekholm-Myers
Sanheim-Braun

Sanheim is only defender with whom Braun plays well, because of Sanheim is great.

Myers can play much more offensive game with Ekholm.

But yeah, ED is a problem. And cap as well.
Actually ekholm has has a reasonable cap hit. I think that can be a fit.
Why is the ED really A big concern? You can only lose 1 player right? So if he’s added to the pot and is taken, ghost and jvr stay. It helps keep 2 good players instead of one.
All depends on cost.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Why is the ED really A big concern? You can only lose 1 player right? So if he’s added to the pot and is taken, ghost and jvr stay. It helps keep 2 good players instead of one.
All depends on cost.
Because instead of losing JVR or Ghost, we lose Voracek....

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
All depends on cost.
This.

And I think no one want to lost 1st round pick for ~40 games Ekholm.

Thats why I said that ED is a problem.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And here is the thing...Patrick and Lindblom have struggled this year not surprising...so could we maybe go 4-4 in expansion?

G, Hayes, TK, Couts
Provy, Myers, Ek, Sanheim

Obviously the top choices are Jake, JVR, Patrick, Lindblom and Ghost.

Take Jake: well then 8.25 million freed up to replace him
Take JVR: well then 7 million freed up
Patrick: likely the pick if someone doesn't want Cap and wants young upside
LIndblom: Given the other options and his cancer scare, I don't think he would be taken anyways
Ghost: gets taken if they want a D but if not, then our D is stacked again

Just spitballin...but trading for EK could be worth it depending on what you give up.

Provy Ghost
Sanheim Myers
Ek Braun

Then Z and York replace EK and Braun in 2022.

Nah, not a fan of exposing NP & Oskar.

Also, Ekholm on the 3rd paid? You drinking early today? ;)

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
This.

And I think no one want to lost 1st round pick for ~40 games Ekholm.

Thats why I said that ED is a problem.
Gotcha. But if it’s a first. You get ekholm for 40 plus playoffs. And if he’s picked you keep jvr and ghost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad