2020/21 Roster Thread VI: The Edge of Gory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
For all the talk of him needing some elite 2-way defender at his side (which makes you wonder), Provorov excels most when he has a puck dominant, offensive creator next to him. He stops overdoing it; he becomes a lot more functional and efficient in the cycle game; he still gets his scoring chances. He’s always had great chemistry with Ghost in the cycle; Niskanen’s offensive zone playmaking was a major part of that pair’s success. It’s the same reason the Provorov - Myers dream tandem loses a lot of luster in reality. When Provorov is the 2nd best offensive facilitator on his pair, and there’s a certain respect level, he’s at his best.
Provorov York?

Oct 26, 2018
somewhere
www.facebook.com
Well, in the expansion draft, the flyers have to give up a player.

This was them giving up a player for free, when there are worse players on the roster.

I know, Friedman is a better defensman than hagg and maybe Sanheim, equal too, but size is different, in my opinion, he have the skating and is a nice passer, he will do fine in Pitts i think and could haunt his former team on special occasion maybe, so you should be aware of the pinguins game.

as for hagg, im just like you, i dont like him, just like many people dont like Morin in the lineup, but his nhl expérience always seems to favorize him over other players, i wish they would do specifics missions and limited ice time, 10 minutes per game Max with him, just Like morin, to maximise their impacts on the global performance, and win, we hope.

For the Forwards, we have not enough deepness on the fourth line, they will go and take a center i think,

Defense is still problematic, im not at ease with this Defensive corps. They need fresh legs over there.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Provorov York?

It would probably be fine in comparison to other pairs. Good even. But York isn’t as aggressive offensively as his reputation or stats suggest. He’s not a huge risk taker and would probably be fine deferring a lot to Provorov and just being efficient. Maybe someone like Zamula has that assertiveness and confidence. Truthfully, I’m not sure the Flyers have that 50-60 point potential player in the organization a la vintage Ghost. Maybe the guy with the best offensive instincts of the bunch is another LHD who can’t even get on the PP.

x DeCruze

Dec 7, 2012
I know, Friedman is a better defensman than hagg and maybe Sanheim, equal too, but size is different, in my opinion, he have the skating and is a nice passer, he will do fine in Pitts i think and could haunt his former team on special occasion maybe, so you should be aware of the pinguins game.

as for hagg, im just like you, i dont like him, just like many people dont like Morin in the lineup, but his nhl expérience always seems to favorize him over other players, i wish they would do specifics missions and limited ice time, 10 minutes per game Max with him, just Like morin, to maximise their impacts on the global performance, and win, we hope.

For the Forwards, we have not enough deepness on the fourth line, they will go and take a center i think,

Defense is still problematic, im not at ease with this Defensive corps. They need fresh legs over there.

What in the world?! How can you watch the Flyers and come away unimpressed by Sanheim. The guy is killing it this season and has been their best dman. Friedman maybe better or equal to Sanheim, that's a good laugh.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Between Provy/Myers/Sanheim/Hart this team will have a bright future. 3 young top pairing defensemen and a possible star goalie is huge for the success of this team and should help keep the Flyers a playoff team and a contender for many seasons to come.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
For all the talk of him needing some elite 2-way defender at his side (which makes you wonder), Provorov excels most when he has a puck dominant, offensive creator next to him. He stops overdoing it; he becomes a lot more functional and efficient in the cycle game; he still gets his scoring chances. He’s always had great chemistry with Ghost in the cycle; Niskanen’s offensive zone playmaking was a major part of that pair’s success. It’s the same reason the Provorov - Myers dream tandem loses a lot of luster in reality. When Provorov is the 2nd best offensive facilitator on his pair, and there’s a certain respect level, he’s at his best.

And Sanheim is at his best when he has a CYA defender next to him to clean up his mistakes, more and more I think he's going to be a Carlson type defenseman, great on offense but you want a steady two way guy next to him willing to defer. Too bad Provorov - Sanheim doesn't seem to work well, maybe b/c both are true LHDs.

Myers needs to be better defensively and defer to Sanheim if those two stay together, which works, b/c Myers has the point shot and the speed to get back and cover mistakes, and in the D-zone is the physical presence that takes the pressure off Sanheim. Maybe just a matter of experience.

The problem going forward on defense won't be talent but chemistry. We need to find a young Niskanen.

Reactions: phil162888

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
And Sanheim is at his best when he has a CYA defender next to him to clean up his mistakes, more and more I think he's going to be a Carlson type defenseman
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Okay, this is maybe the worst post by you, deadhead. ROFL. :laugh::laugh:

My god, that's soooo BAD take I couldn't even know where I should start with arguments... LOL.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
How do we know Provorov can only play the left? To my recollection, he's only played on the right side for an odd shift or two.

I seem to remember something about him saying that he was really uncomfortable on the right after his first season. I may be wrong.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
How do we know Provorov can only play the left? To my recollection, he's only played on the right side for an odd shift or two.

It's also odd to me to say that they can't play together when they did as such fairly well 2 seasons ago. It obviously wasn't a full season sample, but it wasn't an insignificant amount of time, if I remember correctly, either.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I think there was a quote from his rookie year where he said he only plays LD(!). And based on his usage in his career it seems like he makes that call. Just about every LH shot has played their off-side except for him. When there have been injuries and there are only 5 healthy D, he's still LD only. It's really odd considering he plays 25+ a game. You'd think he'd be a little more accommodating.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I seem to remember something about him saying that he was really uncomfortable on the right after his first season. I may be wrong.

I think there was a quote from his rookie year where he said he only plays LD(!). And based on his usage in his career it seems like he makes that call. Just about every LH shot has played their off-side except for him. When there have been injuries and there are only 5 healthy D, he's still LD only. It's really odd considering he plays 25+ a game. You'd think he'd be a little more accommodating.

Thank you both. I have zero recollection of this, but I believe you for sure.

They don't seem married to others being exclusive so maybe he still holds this hard position. Weird.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Comfort. Same way some OTs can play both sides, others are only comfortable on one side, might mean he's hand dominant on one side.

Sanheim seems to play his best hockey with a stay at home RHD, Gudas, Braun.

That's why chemistry matters, some players can adjust, others need a comfort zone.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Same reason he’s the only one who’s never been benched or healthy scratched or criticized for dumb shit, no matter how bad he’s played.

When you’re an elite franchise 1D, as the team believes he is, you’re untouchable. He’s the cornerstone and everything has to be filled in around him. That’s why everyone’s always so desperate to find someone - ANYONE - who can work with him on that pair and make him play better, no matter what the cost.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
REPORT: Flyers, Predators In Initial Stages Of Trade Talks Regarding Ekholm?

ALLENTOWN, Pa. - How does that old adage go? Where there's smoke, there's fire?
We might not be at the California brush-fire stage just yet, but there is reason to believe the Nashville Predators and Philadelphia Flyers could be in the initial stages of trade talks likely involving the now widely rumored available defenseman Mattias Ekholm.

Here at InsideAHLHockey.com, we reported the Nashville Predators were in town at the Flyers' AHL affiliate's home rink PPL Center Saturday night, scouting the Lehigh Valley Phantoms' plethora of rookie defensemen (Linus Hogberg, Mason Millman, Wyatte Wylie and Egor Zamula) and other notable forward prospects.

While it might seem to be purely coincidental on the surface - scouts attend AHL games all the time - the fact that Nashville was scouting the Phantoms' games this past weekend against the Penguins comes at a time when the Predators' organization doesn't play against the Flyers organization at either the NHL or AHL level (Predators AHL affiliate Milwaukee opted out of the 2020-21 season, and they play in the AHL's Western Conference so wouldn't face the Phantoms anyway).

Also worth noting, since InsideAHLHockey keeps track of which scouts attend Phantoms games, is that Nashville has only ever sent scouts to the PPL Center two or three times in the past several years since we've been keeping track of scout attendance and which teams' reps are on hand. They simply don't face the Flyers' organization in direct competition, albeit twice at the NHL level in a "normal" season. This year, the NHL has an in-division only schedule.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad