Prospect Info: 2020-21 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Still early on Barron but I think he could end up being a real gem of a late 1st pick. Especially since his style fits so well with the Avs style.

He could potentially be the best late 1st round pick the Avs have made since Wolski with the 21st pick in 2004. He's really the only other candidate for the Avs. You have to go back to the Nordiques drafting Rene Corbet with the 24th overall pick in 91 and Foote with the 22nd overall in 89 for any others.

Both those two were technically 2nd round picks back then though.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Still early on Barron but I think he could end up being a real gem of a late 1st pick. Especially since his style fits so well with the Avs style.

He could potentially be the best late 1st round pick the Avs have made since Wolski with the 21st pick in 2004. He's really the only other candidate for the Avs. You have to go back to the Nordiques drafting Rene Corbet with the 24th overall pick in 91 and Foote with the 22nd overall in 89 for any others.

Both those two were technically 2nd round picks back then though.

Thats pretty sad.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

MPJ, Bol Bol. Kut and Barron: KSE loves going after guys that slipped because of medical concerns in the draft year.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Today I learned that a player exists called Whynot: Cameron Whynot Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

The Avs should definitely draft him next year. Do you know why?
Learned how to snowboard on a run in Steamboat named "Whynot". Easy green run that brought you from the mid-mountain top of the gondola down to the base of the mountain. Always took it to get to the base of the mountain.

Do you know why?

Reactions: MarkT

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Meh, I don't want to discredit him but this is his fourth season being in the same league since he was able to play one year earlier than a lot of his age group due to his birthday. Even the season he lost due to a blood clot, he still got to play one-fourth of it as well. In my mind he should be a point-per-game player considering his experience and captaincy, anything less than that would be an iffy sign to his talent level.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Meh, I don't want to discredit him but this is his fourth season being in the same league since he was able to play one year earlier than a lot of his age group due to his birthday. Even the season he lost due to a blood clot, he still got to play one-fourth of it as well. In my mind he should be a point-per-game player considering his experience and captaincy, anything less than that would be an iffy sign to his talent level.

It's less about his production and more about that I think he's just a good defenseman. I think he's got a good mind for the game and if he continues working on his defensive game, he could turn into a good mobile two way defenseman.

Again still early, and he could run into some hurdles, but Barron will benefit a lot from the fact that his preferred up tempo style of play is one that the Avs organization and coaching staff are always going to support.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It's less about his production and more about that I think he's just a good defenseman. I think he's got a good mind for the game and if he continues working on his defensive game, he could turn into a good mobile two way defenseman.

Again still early, and he could run into some hurdles, but Barron will benefit a lot from the fact that his preferred up tempo style of play is one that the Avs organization and coaching staff are always going to support.
That's a fair assessment, but what I am saying is that 5 points in 5 games should be expected for someone who's been in the league as much as he has. Personally, I wish he was playing in Europe since he's playing his fourth season in the LHJMQ, but since he lost 40ish games he has some development to get back though.

Reactions: Foppa2118

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

I'd be happy with a ~0.8 PPG production but I agree, if it's anything less there's going to be a big question mark whether he has enough talent to be effective in the NHL. If he only puts up a ~0.5 PPG pace, i'd have major concerns about his ability to make outlet passes and pass the puck.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Learned how to snowboard on a run in Steamboat named "Whynot". Easy green run that brought you from the mid-mountain top of the gondola down to the base of the mountain. Always took it to get to the base of the mountain.

Do you know why?

Whynot?

Reactions: MaKarter

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Avs prospect Alex Newhook primed for critical year at Boston College

Was brought up earlier that Newhook possibly could have been given an exemption from attending the first part of WJC camp. It looks like he is planning to be there at the start of camp, as Clark mentions in the above article that Newhook is already back in Canada going through his mandatory 2 week quarantine.

I really like this comment from Coach York on Helleson..

“We were very excited because when we recruited him, we saw a very talented player who was smart with a good hockey skill set,” York said. “He’s becoming a man now and everything he has done is enhanced. His shooting ability is enhanced. His board work is enhanced. He is developing into a player and all facets of his game are getting better every week. I look at the 24 or 25 players we have on the ice and he’s the one who stands out the most in terms of the difference a year has made.”

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I really like this comment from Coach York on Helleson..

“We were very excited because when we recruited him, we saw a very talented player who was smart with a good hockey skill set,” York said. “He’s becoming a man now and everything he has done is enhanced. His shooting ability is enhanced. His board work is enhanced. He is developing into a player and all facets of his game are getting better every week. I look at the 24 or 25 players we have on the ice and he’s the one who stands out the most in terms of the difference a year has made.”
Very good to hear.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Avs prospect Alex Newhook primed for critical year at Boston College

Was brought up earlier that Newhook possibly could have been given an exemption from attending the first part of WJC camp. It looks like he is planning to be there at the start of camp, as Clark mentions in the above article that Newhook is already back in Canada going through his mandatory 2 week quarantine.

Good to hear. I doubt he ever considered not showing up to Canada's camp on time. He recently did interviews with TSN and Hockey East where he talked about the WJC and camp. The last quote to Clark is also telling:

“For me, (the world juniors) is the only thing that has been set in stone this whole time,” Newhook said. “With everything not being certain in the college season and in the pro season and juniors and whatever else, the world juniors has always been set to go. This is something I have had set in my mind for a long time. Especially when you add how much I want to be there because of last year. I am excited to get back there and whatever the process may be, I am excited to go through it and get there.”

Some good stuff on Helleson, Ambrosio, and Barron in that article as well.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Across KSE, probably but it is a conscious Avs strategy to go after injury fallers. Hishon and Josh Anderson come to mind too.
Right, I could see it as a strategy for the Avs or Nugs or even both. I can’t imagine there is much of a drafting strategy shared between organizations, though...

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Keep thinking that sheeple!:confused:
Ha, I’m still not convinced Stan knows he owns a hockey team and I hope all Josh says to Joe is “yes sir, whatever you say sir”.

Tongue in cheek of course, but I really can’t imagine Josh has much influence on how Joe runs the Avalanche except for maybe regarding some financial considerations. I’m would assume he has more interest and maybe more influence on how the Nuggets operate.

Reactions: tigervixxxen

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
Ivy league schools in ECAC just canceled their entire hockey season. I guess Stienburg is staying in the BCHL for a while unless they allow those players to transfer without losing a year, which doesn't sound like the case (yes, Stienburg is hurt at the moment). Gotta feel for those players, especially the seniors.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Ivy league schools in ECAC just canceled their entire hockey season. I guess Stienburg is staying in the BCHL for a while unless they allow those players to transfer without losing a year, which doesn't sound like the case (yes, Stienburg is hurt at the moment). Gotta feel for those players, especially the seniors.
That sucks for Stienburg. I know he's a long shot but I thought he showed something positive when I saw him. The NCAA was a perfect place for him to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad