Prospect Info: 2020-21 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
WJC preview:

If that gets approved then I hope Newhook is in. Staying in the bubble for a month to train and practice with the Canadian team and then playing in the tournament (assuming he makes the team) will probably be a lot more beneficial than whatever he's doing at BC.

Byram could be trickier if NHL camps start up in December but I think the same applies to him too.

Giving Byram a month plus in a Team Canada bubble camp would be great for his development. Would make up for some of the lost time in the WHL.

Might even be better for him to run drills and scrimmages against the best in his age category every day. Give him some experience playing with highly talented guys, which will force him to up the pace of his decision making.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Giving Byram a month plus in a Team Canada bubble camp would be great for his development. Would make up for some of the lost time in the WHL.

Might even be better for him to run drills and scrimmages against the best in his age category every day. Give him some experience playing with highly talented guys, which will force him to up the pace of his decision making.
Super Joe's gonna sign up Bo.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Maybe but Joe has still been talking about how they can be patient with Byram, and with the guys they have on the blueline right now, he'll have to outplay some NHLers to make the team.
For sure. That boy needs to win a job. No giving away a spot especially when you dont have to. If he outplays the other players and earns it then you play him.

Reactions: Foppa2118

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
Maybe but Joe has still been talking about how they can be patient with Byram, and with the guys they have on the blueline right now, he'll have to outplay some NHLers to make the team.
Yeah I actually meant Joe will sign Bo up for World Juniors Camp. Do we have any ideas if this camp would interfere with NHL camp?

Not sure how it will play out but I would like to see Byram play for team Canada with his age group. Then go from there.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
At some point with prospects, you have to just give them a real shot in the NHL. If you don't give Byram a chance this year, he'll still be a rookie next year. Just bite the bullet and let him play, and accept that he might cost you some goals against as he breaks himself in.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
At some point with prospects, you have to just give them a real shot in the NHL. If you don't give Byram a chance this year, he'll still be a rookie next year. Just bite the bullet and let him play, and accept that he might cost you some goals against as he breaks himself in.
If he plays well in pre season then sure play him. If he looked the way he did last time in those pre season games than no. Bo can make everyone's life easier by coming in and having a good camp and pre season games. I hope he comes in and makes someone like Ian Cole the 7th man.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If he plays well in pre season then sure play him. If he looked the way he did last time in those pre season games than no. Bo can make everyone's life easier by coming in and having a good camp and pre season games. I hope he comes in and makes someone like Ian Cole the 7th man.
That's kind of my point though. Don't make him beat out the nice safe vet to get a spot. GIVE HIM A SPOT. Given a choice, any NHL coach is going to choose the vet. It's just what they do, they like safety and knowing that the guy they put over the boards isn't going to do anything crazy. "Reliably average" beats "maybe awesome" every single time. Bednar chose KEVIN CONNAUTON in the playoffs, and Ian Cole is ten times the hockey player he is. I'm not saying Byram would have made a difference in that series, but that should give you some idea the kinds of headwinds Byram is going to be facing.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Don't know if anyone posted it but here is the Avs blurb for under-22 talent in the NHL by Pronman on the Athletic. Interesting seeing him list Timmins all the way down at 10. Maybe the concussions?

9. Colorado Avalanche
Pre-draft org ranking: No. 8
2020 NHL Draft grade: B-
Colorado has defensemen. “That’s not a puck-moving group, that’s a puck-owning group,” said one NHL scout about the collection of young defensemen in the Avs organization. Alex Newhook is very promising, among others, but overall the talent at forward doesn’t stand out at nearly the same level.
1. Cale Makar, D
2. Bowen Byram, D
3. Samuel Girard, D
4. Alex Newhook, C
5. Justin Barron, D
6. Tyson Jost, C
7. Justus Annunen, G
8. Martin Kaut, RW
9. Jean-Luc Foudy, C
10. Connor Timmins, D
11. Logan O’Connor, RW
12. Shane Bowers, C
13. Colby Ambrosio, C

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Their plan is like it always is though. If he plays well enough he'll make the team. Otherwise they'll give him more seasoning. That's the plan. Same as most teams.
Exactly. We did not have to make room for Makar or Girard. They made room by themselves. Byram has an opportunity to make the team, it’s up to him.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
You don't give spots on competing teams.
I think you do it he proves he’s already ready or even borderline ready because by season’s end he’ll likely be making an impact and if not there’s always time to add help at the deadline.

I agree that you don’t make space in a top 4 role or a top 6 forward role. But as a #6 defenseman instead of Ian Cole? I think you 100% give him that role.

Reactions: McMetal

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Exactly. We did not have to make room for Makar or Girard. They made room by themselves. Byram has an opportunity to make the team, it’s up to him.
Sam Girard’s first game as an Av he played 21:55 after coming over in a trade.
Hell, Makar got 15 minutes in his first game which was a playoff game just several days after playing in college.

Two of those guys were absolutely ready for the opportunities they were given but they never “earned” it. Neither even took part in a training camp with the Avs and were given big roles from the moment they first touched the ice.

Reactions: McMetal

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I think you do it he proves he’s already ready or even borderline ready because by season’s end he’ll likely be making an impact and if not there’s always time to add help at the deadline.

I agree that you don’t make space in a top 4 role or a top 6 forward role. But as a #6 defenseman instead of Ian Cole? I think you 100% give him that role.
I mean you could tell the coach to favor him or play him. I guess that's making space.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
That's kind of my point though. Don't make him beat out the nice safe vet to get a spot. GIVE HIM A SPOT. Given a choice, any NHL coach is going to choose the vet. It's just what they do, they like safety and knowing that the guy they put over the boards isn't going to do anything crazy. "Reliably average" beats "maybe awesome" every single time. Bednar chose KEVIN CONNAUTON in the playoffs, and Ian Cole is ten times the hockey player he is. I'm not saying Byram would have made a difference in that series, but that should give you some idea the kinds of headwinds Byram is going to be facing.

It was the Playoffs. Not every rookie is Cale Makar that can start his NHL career in the middle of a playoff series.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Sam Girard’s first game as an Av he played 21:55 after coming over in a trade.
Hell, Makar got 15 minutes in his first game which was a playoff game just several days after playing in college.

Two of those guys were absolutely ready for the opportunities they were given but they never “earned” it. Neither even took part in a training camp with the Avs and were given big roles from the moment they first touched the ice.

We were much worse when Girard came in.

Makar was one of the best prospects in the world, and we were a team desperate for any kind of secondary scoring a year ago.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
We were much worse when Girard came in.

Makar was one of the best prospects in the world, and we were a team desperate for any kind of secondary scoring a year ago.
Ever heard of Bo Byram? He’s a better prospect than Makar at the same age. Doubt that means he’s ever nearly as good as Cale now, but as a teenager Bo is/was better.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Ever heard of Bo Byram? He’s a better prospect than Makar at the same age. Doubt that means he’s ever nearly as good as Cale now, but as a teenager Bo is/was better.

I doubt Byram is as ready now as Makar was when he made the team.

And the roster now is better, and the team aspirations are different as well.

Different players and different scenarios.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
My personal theory, the Avs know the season will be condensed and there will be limitations on players moving around due to covid. They are going to need 23 bodies, and there will be a bit of a rotation on defense just due to the pure number of games in a short timeframe. 3 in 4 nights will be the normal. Cole just isn't good (and typically misses games), EJ is always getting injured, and Makar's first season wasn't great on the injury front (could simply be a fluke)... Byram and Timmins as a 7/8s who plays 40-50% of the games is probably the plan. Avs may bring in a PTO guy or two to just be 100% sure and push those two, but having those 8 rotate while breaking in Byram and Timmins really looks like what the Avs are going to do. Up front, I think LOC is on the opening night roster and they can roll 11-7 a few nights if some injuries cause a shortage.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Nah man. You don't give spots. You earn it. Such is life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad