Prospect Info: 2020-21 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Pretty much, it's hard to rank Barron because he's filled around a lot of potential #4 defenders and #3 centres. Besides Newhook, there is no top talent in the system forward-wise besides Weiss and it's still the question if he can overcome his Smeagol body.
Ranta?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
We're going to have to wait and see for him, I thought this last season he took the next step progressively, but he's still quite raw and plays only one side of the game. We hope he'd turn into a Jamie McGinn-type of player and at best that's still a 3rd liner - albeit a solid one. Weiss actually has top 6 potential and talent.

E: I did forget about Foudy - my bad -, so that's two with top 6 potential.

Reactions: Richard88

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Pretty much, it's hard to rank Barron because he's filled around a lot of potential #4 defenders and #3 centres. Besides Newhook, there is no top talent in the system forward-wise besides Weiss and it's still the question if he can overcome his Smeagol body.
Weiss? The guy who scored 4 goals last year and 3 the season before? I kinda agree that our forward talent in the system is a little underwhelming but we have much better talent than Weiss. Beaucage, Kaut, Bowers, Kovalenko, Foudy, Ranta etc all appear to be better forward prospects than Weiss.

Reactions: Ncit3

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Weiss? The guy who scored 4 goals last year and 3 the season before? I kinda agree that our forward talent in the system is a little underwhelming but we have much better talent than Weiss. Beaucage, Kaut, Bowers, Kovalenko, Foudy, Ranta etc all appear to be better forward prospects than Weiss.
Why do you think goalscoring ability is what makes a player a player? Weiss is a playmaker first and foremost.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
Why do you think goalscoring ability is what makes a player a player? Weiss is a playmaker first and foremost.

I see the playmaking ability flash at times, but I watch a lot of NCHC hockey, and I'm always underwhelmed by Weiss. I'm by no means an expert at scouting hockey, but he seems to disappear for long periods of time, and there are games where I don't notice him at all. I hope he takes another step forward this year and gets a bigger role with UNO. I'd have all the guys Cousin Eddie listed (as well as Mutala) above him on the prospect list though. Omaha does play a similar style to the Avs with a lot of pace and chances off the rush, so I can see that benefitting Weiss.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Looking for some info on players who made their debut last season...

Conor Timmins
Adam Werner

What kind of players are they and what kind of NHL future do they have?

Thanks!
Timmins is a cerebral two-way defenseman who projects as a #3/4 steady mid pair. He's basically NHL ready but our depth on D may force him down due to waiver exemption. The big question with him isn't ability, though, it's injuries. He has a long and grim concussion history and there's a good chance it will end his career before it really starts.

Werner was a surprise for us. He needs a lot more AHL seasoning before I can really project him to the NHL, but he made some great steps forward this year, and also (basically) got his first career NHL shutout in my favorite moment of the season. Maybe an NHL 2/3 or even #2 is in his future? Goalies aren't my specialty.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I see the playmaking ability flash at times, but I watch a lot of NCHC hockey, and I'm always underwhelmed by Weiss. I'm by no means an expert at scouting hockey, but he seems to disappear for long periods of time, and there are games where I don't notice him at all. I hope he takes another step forward this year and gets a bigger role with UNO. I'd have all the guys Cousin Eddie listed (as well as Mutala) above him on the prospect list though. Omaha does play a similar style to the Avs with a lot of pace and chances off the rush, so I can see that benefitting Weiss.
I think you lot are bit confused in what I meant there, Weiss is absolutely in the realm of a top 6 prospect or bust for me. With that said, Avs have a lot of better prospects that project much better than him in the pros...if that makes sense? Kovalenko for instance has the ability to be a very good 3rd liner who can play at both ends of the ice. He has much less risk than Weiss, but in terms of talent Weiss is clearly the superior player in terms of playmaking, vision, and stickhandling. There are lot players, majority that @Cousin Eddie listed which you can say is a better player because they project as an NHL better than Tyler does. However, if they're talking strictly in talent, I still hold the claim that Avs only have two players with top 6 talent in their system in Weiss and Foudy. That doesn't mean either will make the NHL over someone like Mutala, who can be a really good bottom six player.

I don't doubt your NCHC hockey watching ability at all. I am also not doubting your report about him either. However, I argue instead that his size is the major weakness for him. Remember, he's playing on a pretty dang terrible club that's currently in rebuild mode. Omaha lacks in all categories of top-end talent, depth, and just overall everything (swag, ability, confidence, etc.). Weiss being able to potentially put up a lot of point is actually more impressive than Newhook getting to play with Boston College considering the clear difference in teammate talent levels. I've watched a lot of Weiss as well and I think his biggest problem is that he tries to stickhandle through everything majority of the time, which can lead to bad turnovers or what you mentioned - lack of appearance. He's still very talented, would've been a top 50 prospect if he weighed at 180 lbs instead of 150-ish during his draft year.

Reactions: RockyMtnRedhawk

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
In raw offensive talent, I think Weiss is probably 3rd amongst the forwards. He's got a great skill set and brain... he's just in a 14 year old's body. He's behind Newhook and Foudy for sure to me. He's just really unlikely to live up to his potential in the NHL. Not many NHLers are sub 150 and effective. I'd probably put Weiss behind 6-8 forwards in the pool, but he's got some talent. When kids are raw and undersized it can take a while for it to click in college. Bryan Rust had 6 and 5 goals his first two seasons at Notre Dame. He wasn't nearly as undeveloped as Weiss, but he went to Notre Dame at ~170-175 and it too him until his junior year to really fill out to 190+. That is where he took off in his development, and last year he would have been a 30+ goal guy if he'd been healthy. Now I don't think Weiss is likely to be a NHL player, but writing off his talent based on stats is doing him a disservice. College hockey is more physical and tougher on late bloomers than other junior leagues. If Weiss went to the OHL instead, he'd probably be producing at a 2nd line level there. I don't think he has an NHL future as long as he's below 170-175 though, not enough talent to overcome his weak physical stature. If he wants to go to Europe, I think he could have a long career over there.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah, Weiss is definitely talented, and hopefully after two years of college he's not built like a popsicle stick anymore.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Maybe his hands are that good but overall talent I don’t agree. My experience watching him was similar to Redhawk’s. Even accounting for his slight frame and a bad team he should at least be engaged more than he is. Weiss may not even be a top 20 prospect to me.

Reactions: landy92mack29

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I really like those guys. Outside of the 1st round picks I think we have at least one player who will turn out and likely two.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah, Weiss is definitely talented, and hopefully after two years of college he's not built like a popsicle stick anymore.
Good chance he never improves because sometimes people just cannot gain weight genetically. I worked with a bloke one time who was 6'4" and weighed at most 190 lbs - which is ridiculously skinny at his height. He could eat triple baconators and not gain anything at all. I propose that Elliott was the same way and Weiss could be along that line.

Reactions: McMetal

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
WJC preview:

If that gets approved then I hope Newhook is in. Staying in the bubble for a month to train and practice with the Canadian team and then playing in the tournament (assuming he makes the team) will probably be a lot more beneficial than whatever he's doing at BC.

Byram could be trickier if NHL camps start up in December but I think the same applies to him too.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
God I hope they take along Power. Really want to see what that kid can do on the big stage in his draft year. If he plays like he can, he could shift the #1 pick conversation.

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
WJC preview:

If that gets approved then I hope Newhook is in. Staying in the bubble for a month to train and practice with the Canadian team and then playing in the tournament (assuming he makes the team) will probably be a lot more beneficial than whatever he's doing at BC.

Byram could be trickier if NHL camps start up in December but I think the same applies to him too.

Banging hot chicks. Cant do that in a locked down bubble or in Red Deer in general

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Avs are 9th on this list. His top five prospects:

1. Bowen Byram, D
2. Alex Newhook, C
3. Justin Barron, D
4. Justus Annunen, G
5. Martin Kaut, RW

Compared to the top five voted here:

1. Bowen Byram
2. Alex Newhook
3. Martin Kaut
4. Conor Timmins
5. Justin Barron

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Avs are 9th on this list. His top five prospects:

1. Bowen Byram, D
2. Alex Newhook, C
3. Justin Barron, D
4. Justus Annunen, G
5. Martin Kaut, RW

Compared to the top five voted here:

1. Bowen Byram
2. Alex Newhook
3. Martin Kaut
4. Conor Timmins
5. Justin Barron

Byram = consensus top defensive prospect.

Reactions: Avs_19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad