2: 4
1: 7
0: 1

last season:

3: 1
2: 1
1: 4
0: 1

Again I dont watch the games but Ilves is 8th this year but 4th last season. Is the defense worse, is it Makiniemi worse? both? Teams just have more tape on him? Idk.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Results today

Ilves beat Jyp 6-4 (makiniemi didn’t play)
Honka had an assist, -2 in 20 minutes.
Puistola had an assist and -1 in almost 12 minutes

Tieksola went scoreless in 14.5 minutes
Killinen scored a goal 12:16.

Lafontaine stopped 14 of 18 in a 5-2 loss to Michigan last night.
Wall had an assist in a 5-2 loss to ND.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
A note about Jarvis from Pronman’s latest Lafreniere is a bust (hyperbole) Athletic article:

Seth Jarvis, C, Carolina – Jarvis stood out in brief AHL action. He’s an excellent skater with a high skill and compete level who showed his game could translate to pro hockey as a 19-year-old. He was the AHL’s leading scorer when he was sent back to the WHL. There was a consensus top tier of the undersized forwards in the 2020 draft and Jarvis was right outside it going at No. 13 to Carolina. It’s a small sample of games but more scouts of late think Jarvis belongs in the same tier of that group in light of how he looked last season and building off it in his great AHL stint.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'll be interested to see how Jarvis does back in Portland. Some guys struggle when they go from a good pro situation back to the CHL. It's just kind of a let down for them and it's unlikely he'll have as much talent as he did in Chicago around him. Hopefully, he keeps showing all the signs of being a future star even if he's being moved back a step because of dumb rules.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Drury scored today in 15:46
Nybeck, no score in 11:30
Sellgren had an assist in almost 21 minutes

tieksola had no scoring in 15 minutes
Honka had an assist in 17.5 minutes
Puistola no scoring in almost 13 minutes
Makiniemi stopped 33 of 34 in a 2-1 win

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
There’s that number again.
I thought about tagging you in the post. He seems to be settling in some. Hopefully he finishes the season strong. Give him so momentum for next season and we can decide if we want to offer him a contract.

It probably isn’t worth giving him a PTO this season. Especially if we are trying to wrangle Lafontaine in.

Reactions: geehaad

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I thought about tagging you in the post. He seems to be settling in some. Hopefully he finishes the season strong. Give him so momentum for next season and we can decide if we want to offer him a contract.

It probably isn’t worth giving him a PTO this season. Especially if we are trying to wrangle Lafontaine in.

I wonder if Makiniemi could be a minor throw-in for a deadline deal. I'm pretty sure it's LaFontaine who's getting that coveted ELC slot.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Usually I'd meme here posting the "¿por que no los dos?" gif. But fact if the matter is that Kochetkov is finally off his KHL deal this off-season as well so you'd think that he and Warm will be taking two of the contract slots. Normally that would only leave room for one of LaFontaine and Makiniemi unless we were to sign Eetu with an agreement to loan him back to his Finnish team for next season.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Usually I'd meme here posting the "¿por que no los dos?" gif. But fact if the matter is that Kochetkov is finally off his KHL deal this off-season as well so you'd think that he and Warm will be taking two of the contract slots. Normally that would only leave room for one of LaFontaine and Makiniemi unless we were to sign Eetu with an agreement to loan him back to his Finnish team for next season.
My thought was give Makiniemi a PTO when Liiga was over but what would be the point if we are targeting Lafontaine with Beck already there.

We can still try for Lafontaine, Warm, and Kochetkov. Let those three battle it out in the next camp. Whoever wins the top 2 slots, stays in Chicago. The team wants competition. If Kochetkov doesn’t make it, he can go back to Russia via a loan if need be.

Target Makiniemi in the following offseason to come across the pond.

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Has anyone here seen Makiniemi play with any frequency? I'd be curious to know if he actually seems like a worthwhile prospect. I don't think I've seen more than maybe a highlight gif.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
My thought was give Makiniemi a PTO when Liiga was over but what would be the point if we are targeting Lafontaine with Beck already there.

We can still try for Lafontaine, Warm, and Kochetkov. Let those three battle it out in the next camp. Whoever wins the top 2 slots, stays in Chicago. The team wants competition. If Kochetkov doesn’t make it, he can go back to Russia via a loan if need be.

Target Makiniemi in the following offseason to come across the pond.

We may be targeting him, but what are the chances he signs an ELC with us? He can go to UFA after this season, correct? We have no idea if there is a good relationship left after his long and winding road to where he is now. He may want a fresh start.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
We may be targeting him, but what are the chances he signs an ELC with us? He can go to UFA after this season, correct? We have no idea if there is a good relationship left after his long and winding road to where he is now. He may want a fresh start.
All true. Im just going to act under the assumption the relationship is there. We do have one of the better situations for him to compete for a starting job the soonest.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think the fact that we spent an ELC slot on an unknown goalie already playing for our AHL club says a lot about who the team thinks they can sign out of our prospect goalies who still don't have ELCs.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I think the fact that we spent an ELC slot on an unknown goalie already playing for our AHL club says a lot about who the team thinks they can sign out of our prospect goalies who still don't have ELCs.
Does it mean that or that the team thinks that he is worth keeping because he is performing at tge AHL level? Maybe it means they don’t plan on extending an offer to Helvig for exposure in the ED. That seems like a bit of a jump so far.

Reactions: DaveG

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I think the hope is we literally have a blank-slate with our goaltending future...if you can come in and prove worthy there's nobody in the way to slow you down. Beck, an UDFA is the ONLY goalie under contract next year at the moment

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

Conversely, they could have just figured...why not take a chance? Expecting they will be moving a a few overripe prospects like they did I last year for deadline upgrades, some contract slots may free up.

I’d bet that Geekie and Bokk are guys they they’ll dangle in packages or perhaps the guy they picked up in the Galchenyuk deal, Korshkov (sp?). And depending on how they feel about Hamilton re-upping, maybe Bean gets sent packing in a package for a non-rental top 6 upgrade.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Conversely, they could have just figured...why not take a chance? Expecting they will be moving a a few overripe prospects like they did I last year for deadline upgrades, some contract slots may free up.

I’d bet that Geekie and Bokk are guys they they’ll dangle in packages
Sure, they might move guys. But goalies only have so many positions available. Moving Bokk or Geekie might free up a contract spot, but it does nothing for finding them playing time.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Sure, they might move guys. But goalies only have so many positions available. Moving Bokk or Geekie might free up a contract spot, but it does nothing for finding them playing time.

That’s a good point I should have considered.

It seems like in a normal year there’d be 1 more spot in Chicago for either LaFontaine or Kochetkov to claim. And it’s not unheard of to stash goalie prospects in the ECHL. So theoretically, there could be enough spots for them, from a certain point of view (in Kenobi accent)

Doesn’t Helvig’s deal expire this year?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
That’s a good point I should have considered.

It seems like in a normal year there’d be 1 more spot in Chicago for either LaFontaine or Kochetkov to claim. And it’s not unheard of to stash goalie prospects in the ECHL. So theoretically, there could be enough spots for them, from a certain point of view (in Kenobi accent)

Doesn’t Helvig’s deal expire this year?
I believe it does. But do we sign him to have a guy that meets expansion draft exposure requirements? Would he meet those requirements? I don't know...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad