[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
no start date announced yet for the NCAA programs
The AHL and WHL have tentative start dates of December 4th but those are likely to be pushed back
OHL is still looking at December 1st last I've seen
USHL is still projecting to start in November

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Not sure what is up with Kochetkov but he hasn't played in a long time and appears to no longer be the backup in Podolsk (or he's just a #3 behind Ezhov and Todykov)

Reactions: Unsustainable

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Not sure what is up with Kochetkov but he hasn't played in a long time and appears to no longer be the backup in Podolsk (or he's just a #3 behind Ezhov and Todykov)

I’m not too excited about him, just by the amount of gameplay he is getting, and his pretty meh season last year. Kinda surprised we didn’t grab another goalie dart in this years draft. They put too much stock in Nedeljkovic and I think they’re kinda doing it again with Kochetkov.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I’m not too excited about him, just by the amount of gameplay he is getting, and his pretty meh season last year. Kinda surprised we didn’t grab another goalie dart in this years draft. They put too much stock in Nedeljkovic and I think they’re kinda doing it again with Kochetkov.
It was mentioned in one of the articles they were targeting goalies I think in the 4th round and there was a run on the guys they wanted. So they went with value rather than force it.

It would be nice if Koch could move somewhere he could play though.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Jarvis, Suzuki and Rees all invited to Canada’s wjc camp.

Something like 15 of the 18 forwards are first rounders...

i would imagine the world junior crop is as thick as it has ever been. it reminds me of the 04-05 team that eric staal wasn't able to make during the lockout that was just full of stars because the league wasn't playing. the uncertainty around everything makes me imagine this might be a very hard team to make. impressed by how far rees has been able to come to consideration in a group like this one. rees is one of the more exciting prospects for me because man do we ever need a player like him in our top 9 that really embraces the physical game.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
WJC is going to be fun to watch this year with Jarvis/Suzuki/Rees possibly on Canada, Gunler/Nybeck on Sweden, Nikishin/Ponomarev/Pashin on Russia and Puistola/Honka/Tieksola on Finland.

how insane that we have that many guys under consideration. fensore was invited to camp with the americans as well. i think we're going to see some expanded rosters due to covid, which is perfect for a player like fensore who they could rotate out just as easily if he doesn't give them what they're after. some of those tough exclusions you have to make based on worst case scenarios are less drastic if they carry 10 defense or something.

Reactions: DaveG

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario

Didn’t Waddell say Kochetkov had a good year last season? He can’t possibly believe that.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I didn’t realize how solid of a season LaFontaine had last year. 25 games with a .919 sv%. His start this season is promising, definitely putting him on the radar.

It's a great comeback story, and yet another example of why goaltending prospects are a LOOOOOONG-term ploy. Kevin Wall's the big story, though. Watching him play, he is truly for real. His skill is legit, and yes, I'm pretty sure he will regress from the current pace, at least when it comes to goal scoring. PPG or near-PPG production would not shock me, though. The wheels, the shot, the forechecking, and the puck handling are all there. Combined with his Rochester roots, he's everything that you truly need for the next great New York Ranger. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I think Capfriendly has Lafontaine as a UFA in August. Which makes sense given this is 5 years post-draft I believe. We do certainly have a big goalie opportunity pretty much now and in the future. But he'll be free to call his shot by waiting a few months.

Knowing this organization, if they truly covet him and he doesn't want to sign, they'll have a trade ready with someone, like with Adam Fox.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think Capfriendly has Lafontaine as a UFA in August. Which makes sense given this is 5 years post-draft I believe. We do certainly have a big goalie opportunity pretty much now and in the future. But he'll be free to call his shot by waiting a few months.
You're not wrong. But we'll also be one of the few teams with exactly zero goalies under contract heading in to next season. I fully expect we'll try to bring Koch over, but worst case is he's playing vs Makiniemi for the other AHL spot.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
You're not wrong. But we'll also be one of the few teams with exactly zero goalies under contract heading in to next season. I fully expect we'll try to bring Koch over, but worst case is he's playing vs Makiniemi for the other AHL spot.
I agree. As I said, the opportunity is there now, and in the future. You could argue that while the path wasn't quite as clear as this one, that there was a path to be had for Freddy Andersen too. I don't have a clue where the kid's head is at or what he prioritizes or how we have or haven't been in contact with him, helped him out, etc. I do know that he can choose whatever makes him happy and immediate (or close) playing time may not be it. A guy like Priskie chose a deeper blue line organization because we had a good track record with young dmen. If Lafontaine wants a team known for developing goalies, as an example, this one ain't it.

As for trading him, I think there's quite a value difference in Fox vs Lafontaine. I'd be happy to get anything for him if he wouldn't sign but it'd be a small asset most likely. Goalies don't often carry huge value. Less so when they are very unproven. Throw in that the Rangers paid to get the guy a year early and that's not in play for this one, we'd be lucky to get much. Hopefully, he continues his strong play and wants to sign here as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad