Prospect Info: 2020-21 Prospect Development Tracker

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I think this year will be the deadline to sign 2017 draft picks right ? Peterson should get an ELC right ? He has better numbers than Karlsson had last year before he got an ELC.
I’d think so , he’s our best European prospect right now .

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
They've done some weird stuff with prospect signing so I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Didn't realize Mavrik Bourque's QMJHL season is already over. Ended like 3 weeks ago actually.

He finished with 43 points in 28 games. 9th in points and 6th in points per game

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Didn't realize Mavrik Bourque's QMJHL season is already over. Ended like 3 weeks ago actually.

He finished with 43 points in 28 games. 9th in points and 6th in points per game
Also of note, he is younger than all of the players ahead of him in points per game (3 of them are 21).

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006

Do they not start their postseason tomorrow? It says on the qmjhl website they’re scheduled for their 1st playoff game

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
Now do Peterson!
Honestly, I think Peterson needs atleast one more SHL season with regular time on national team if you expect him to be a producing NHL player.
Oskar Bäck is another thing, I think he is ready to play as your 4th line center and have a chance of becoming one of the best defensive centers in the league. He needs to work on his face-offs and some skating but he is so strong on the puck, Joel Eriksson Ek smartness and sees the game so that he doesent have to play the body but instead always seems to find good position and plays the puck.
Don't get me wrong, he's a big boy and can use the body. Just that he seldom needs to.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Honestly, I think Peterson needs atleast one more SHL season with regular time on national team if you expect him to be a producing NHL player.
Oskar Bäck is another thing, I think he is ready to play as your 4th line center and have a chance of becoming one of the best defensive centers in the league. He needs to work on his face-offs and some skating but he is so strong on the puck, Joel Eriksson Ek smartness and sees the game so that he doesent have to play the body but instead always seems to find good position and plays the puck.
Don't get me wrong, he's a big boy and can use the body. Just that he seldom needs to.

Peterson needs to be signed this summer or his rights expire. He can play another year in the SHL when signed anyway. Karlström signed last summer for example and they loaned him to his old club .

Reactions: Dallasman

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Haven't paid much attention to the European prospects, but we have managed to churn out quite a few good ones over the years. Do we currently have one with likely top 6 forward potential?

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Went back to find Pronman's prospect report for the Stars, yeah, didn't have much to say about any of our European prospects. It's from September 2019, so I'm sure a lot has changed. For example, he still has Saw Peterson as a bubble NHL'er, had Back as his highest rated prospect (8) behind the likes of Gleason and L'esperance, and said he was a good two-way player, but not a good skater. At the time of writing we still had Stenqvist in our pool, he and Karlstrom didn't even rate top 20 and apparently that means they aren't worth even writing a paragraph about. I've found he underrates a decent amount of our prospects, but nothing ever egregious. Probably the nature of scouting countless players and being more conservative than a fan would because he has no vested interest in their succeeding. His September 2020 update doesn't mention anyone other than Eriksson as far as Euros go, and he isn't even ranked as an NHL'er anymore.

Wheeler did a January 2021 update and has Peterson as a tweener, skilled for the SHL as a top 6 player, but not enough for the NHL, without having enough all-around acumen to be a bottom 6 NHLer. He's at the end of a tier with guys like Damiani, though that was pre-AHL breakout. The Top 5 are all the legit prospects we are interested in, so no surprises there. Just for fun, Eriksson is dead last in his prospect list, and I think it's out of deference to where he was drafted more than anything.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I don't think it's similar at all, Back has never been touted for his high-end skill like Benn or Robertson were as prospects. I don't think he has that 'thing' that sets him apart offensively to help you look past poor skating. Granted I've never watched the dude play, I just assume that if he had something special we would have heard about it by now. Feel like he was gonna be a bottom 6 guy from day 1, but I can't read the minds of the Stars' scouting team.

MrKriben

Dec 16, 2014
Stockholm
I don't think it's similar at all, Back has never been touted for his high-end skill like Benn or Robertson were as prospects. I don't think he has that 'thing' that sets him apart offensively to help you look past poor skating. Granted I've never watched the dude play, I just assume that if he had something special we would have heard about it by now. Feel like he was gonna be a bottom 6 guy from day 1, but I can't read the minds of the Stars' scouting team.

Bäck has alot of upside but if you view him as anything but a bottom 6 center focused on defensive tasks, you will be dissappointed. I've seen him play against seniors the last two seasons i SHL and there is alot there that is vauable for a NHL team but non of it is in an offensive role even though he ofcourse can get a couple of goals a season.
He is the one that starts in defensive zone and leaves in the offensive, he is the one that is a smart center removing ice in the midde and knowing when to forecheck and when not to. He is very good on the puck and creates long cycles that totally exhaust the other teams defenders but like I've said.. I have his ceeling as a great defencive center on an NHL team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad