2020-21 Norris Trophy candidates: Adam Fox, Victor Hedman, Cale Makar

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Not really when the Norris is turning into a points award. If Hughes didn't have such a poor +/- he'd be there too. Not going to really count any of these awards considering they only played against like 8 teams. All three of those guys feasted off of weak teams.

As if Fox and Makar aren't good at defending.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It's quite unfortunate that you can be a literal pylon defensively, but if you score a ton of points, you're in contention to get the Norris.

With the way some of these arguments being made, they should change this award to "The defenseman who scored the most points" award or something.

What happened to the defense part of it? If you aren't one of the best defenders in the league, you shouldn't be in contention for the Norris.

Been that way the last 10 years.... Karlsson won 2 of them things.

This was Hedman's 5th time being a Norris trophy finalist.

Only 13 other defensemen (going back to the award's creation) have five or more years as a finalist - Bourque (15x); Lidstrom (11x); Orr (9x); Harvey (8x); Park (7x); and each of Potvin, Robinson, Chelios, Coffey, Pilote, MacInnis, Chara, and Gadsby (6x).

Hedman passes some big names including Pronger, Horton, Salming, Karlsson, and Doughty.

5th straight year of being a finalist as well, thats probably an even smaller group of players.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Winner should be Fox. Makar is the most overrated player in the NHL.

Haha overrated

Sarcasm I assume?

I don't think I've EVER heard "Makar" and "overrated" in the same sentence... even those that despise the Avs would never dream of saying that

Last edited:
Reactions: User9992

its josh

May 13, 2020
Fox's team didn't make the playoffs
Makar doesnt kill penalties
Hedman wasn't as good.

PHWA are always a few years behind because they only watch local teams. They'll give it to Hedman based on reputation over a longer period.

Reactions: User9992

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Ohhhh ok makes sense cause i see you are a Nucks fan... goes back to the whole Makar vs. Hughes thing lol... now it makes sense why you think he's overrated.

Just try to put hate/jealousy aside and watch Makar actually play... your thoughts will change

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Ohhhh ok makes sense cause i see you are a Nucks fan... goes back to the whole Makar vs. Hughes thing lol... now it makes sense why you think he's overrated.

Just try to put hate/jealousy aside and watch Makar actually play... your thoughts will change
So what you are saying is the Canucks are overrated as a franchise...;)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
So what you are saying is the Canucks are overrated as a franchise...;)

Lol no no... I'll never say anything bad about the Nucks!!.. I grew up watching them all the time!.. but I just know how alot of fans got with the whole Makar/Hughes thing last season!!

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Lol no no... I'll never say anything bad about the Nucks!!.. I grew up watching them all the time!.. but I just know how alot of fans got with the whole Makar/Hughes thing last season!!
But..but Hughes is McDavid on defense or so we have been told. Seems like some Nuck fans cannot come to terms that another defensemen is better.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Adam Fox should win it. Makar would have won it had he played a full season, I think overall he was the best this particular season. Hedman will win it because his name is Hedman (and that is literally the only reason he would win it). Hedman is the best overall defense man in the NHL, but he wasn't a top-3 defender this season. I'd argue he isn't top-5 this year and feel confident in that assessment too. His nomination this year baffling to me.

gn2007

Nov 21, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
Adam Fox should win it. Makar would have won it had he played a full season, I think overall he was the best this particular season. Hedman will win it because his name is Hedman (and that is literally the only reason he would win it). Hedman is the best overall defense man in the NHL, but he wasn't a top-3 defender this season. I'd argue he isn't top-5 this year and feel confident in that assessment too. His nomination this year baffling to me.
He did play the last few months injured yet still logging top 5 mins. And tearing it up in the playoffs so we will see how much damage he has after the playoffs

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It will be makar or hedman. Fox had 1 assist and a -3 against the Islanders in 8 games. -2 against Boston and no points in 8 games. Reason why those 2 teams are still in the playoffs ‍♂️

Fox padded his stats against devils, buffalo, and flyers

12 pts and +5 vs buffalo. 8 pts and +6 vs devils. 10 pts and +4 against flyers.

This is just my opinion. I just know for sure buffalo, and devils had abysmal goaltending thus year lol. While flyers was injury plagued all year.

How do the other two compare with who they scored their points against?

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

That’s cute that you assume that

Rangerboy030

Apr 21, 2012
How do the other two compare with who they scored their points against?

G/A/P/GP/Opponent

Fox:
1/7/8/8/NJD
0/1/1/8/NYI
0/10/10/7/PHI
2/6/8/8/PIT
0/2/2/8/BOS
1/11/12/8/BUF
1/8/6/8/WSH

Makar:
2/8/10/8/STL
0/5/5/5/ANA
2/4/6/6/LAK
1/7/8/6/SJS
2/7/9/8/MIN
0/4/4/5/ARI
1/1/2/6/VGK

Hedman:
1/4/5/8/CAR
1/5/6/6/FLA
2/9/11/8/CHI
2/3/5/8/DET
1/6/7/8/NSH
0/4/4/8/DAL
2/5/7/8/CBJ

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I think Makar, when healthy, has been the best defenseman in the league this year. With him missing time I'd give it to Fox but Rangers didn't make the playoffs so he probably won't win it.

There's been seasons where Hedman deserved it but others got their reputation Norris Trophies. This year Hedman probably takes it on reputation.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Shows you the power of…aging? :laugh:

you can find whatever correlation you like (i realized that since 2020) fact remains as soon as both left their respective markets their value declined

say its age

but Doughty, Weber, Pietrangelo, Josi, Suter, Burns, Giordano are still effective at what they do

only Karlsson and Subban aged tremendously it seems (or they always were overrated)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad