2020-21 Norris Trophy candidates: Adam Fox, Victor Hedman, Cale Makar

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
I think Makar, when healthy, has been the best defenseman in the league this year. With him missing time I'd give it to Fox but Rangers didn't make the playoffs so he probably won't win it.

There's been seasons where Hedman deserved it but others got their reputation Norris Trophies. This year Hedman probably takes it on reputation.

i'll bite, which past seasons did hedman deserve to win the norris?

Rsswmu

May 20, 2014
It will be makar or hedman. Fox had 1 assist and a -3 against the Islanders in 8 games. -2 against Boston and no points in 8 games. Reason why those 2 teams are still in the playoffs ‍♂️

Fox padded his stats against devils, buffalo, and flyers

12 pts and +5 vs buffalo. 8 pts and +6 vs devils. 10 pts and +4 against flyers.

This is just my opinion. I just know for sure buffalo, and devils had abysmal goaltending thus year lol. While flyers was injury plagued all year.

You left out him having 8 against the pens and 9 against the caps, because it didn’t fit the narrative.

Makar having 2 pts vs Vegas the best opponent he faced doesn’t factor in as well.

Also no defensive context is given here for a defenseman. Makar has been great this year, so has Fox. Makar has better offensive stats on a better team. Analytics wise Fox had better Defensive stats and faced tougher line matchups.

Fox loses points for his team not being making the playoffs and Makar loses points for getting injured. Think this a close race, but cherry-picking opponents to get point totals is not a great way to decide it.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Just wanna also point out the absurd bullshit that was the Rangers season this year. You can question how close the scoring race between Fox & Makar would've been if Makar was healthy, but what about the points Fox lost from COVID Mika (utter ass the first half of the season) and the Russia bs with Panarin (who had the 3rd highest P/GP league-wide and missed 14 games)? Not to mention all the other misc. weirdness that happened with the Rangers this year.

That said, Hedman's gonna win it because reasons

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Still overrated! Only a moron would take Adam Fox over Hedman or Makar if you are building a team!

Fox could be great and not overrated and you could still want Makar or Hedman over him. Why are Hedman and Makar even brought up? As far as most of us understand the Noriss is an award for which defenseman had the best season not which defenseman would you take if you were building a team and could also invent a time machine so you can ignore Hedman being 30?

Was this your last dumb post or do you think you have the energy to muster up a few more today so you can keep on embarrassing yourself? Also did you just discover exclamation marks?

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Rsswmu

May 20, 2014
Adam Fox is overrated! Padded stats against possibly the worst 3 teams in the NHL and was absolutely horrible against the Islanders, Bruins, and Caps!

He had 6 pts in 8 games against the caps. Better than the 2 in 6 games Makar had against Vegas. He also had 8 against the pens in 8 games same as the devils and one less than against the flyers. He also has the best defensive stats out of the three players. Highlighting he didn’t get a lot of points against two teams is a pretty poor argument.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
If this award is handed out based on merit, Adam Fox runs away with it. If its based on popularity, its Hedman, who is a great player, but borderline over rated. Not nearly a top defender and has the luxury of playing with dominant scorers. If he had Fox's hockey IQ, he might put up 100 points with that team.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
They are commenting on you calling him overrated. They didnt even rate him lol, how can their comment make him overrated. Literally the dumbest thing ive read in awhile here.
It’s the reaction to me calling him overrated. Like people can’t even contemplate that he might not be as good as they think he is.

Not that hard to grasp.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I've never been very overly impressed with either Fox or Makar defensively. They are on their way and I think they will get there but not quite yet. Offensively Makar is an elite skater and Fox is brilliant with the puck and his decision making. Hedman wins to me of the three defensively. I know that's not what this award is about though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've never been very overly impressed with either Fox or Makar defensively. They are on their way and I think they will get there but not quite yet. Offensively Makar is an elite skater and Fox is brilliant with the puck and his decision making. Hedman wins to me of the three defensively. I know that's not what this award is about though.

Can you explain what doesn’t impress you about Fox’s defense?

Reggiet2

Jan 20, 2019
I bet you can't find a single clip of that happening. Seriously. Show me one time that that happened.

He handles forecheckers like a ducks handles water.

Suuuuure! Keep saying that to yourself. Thats why the Rangers were god awful defensively, and last I looked Fox is part of that awful defense. So, he is the best among the worst!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad