2020-21 Norris Trophy candidates: Adam Fox, Victor Hedman, Cale Makar

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I saw this on tsn and was waiting for someone to make the thread!!.. too lazy to make it myself lol

Anyways, not a shock AT ALL who the finalists are

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I think all 3 are deserving.. this is a rare time that I truly have no idea who will win... my gut is saying Hedman though

Reactions: Doubty

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Would be cool to see Makar win... Calder last season, Norris this season... that would be insane

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Adam Fox should be the slam dunk winner here IMO. Don't think Hedman belongs in the final three.
How is it a slam dunk? NYR misses the playoffs, Makar is the only PPG Dman of the finalists and is 3 pts behind Fox only bc he missed 12 games due to injury. Not saying Fox doesn’t win this because Makar’s injury could legitimately take him out of the running but it’s definitely not a slam dunk

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Adam Fox should be the slam dunk winner here IMO. Don't think Hedman belongs in the final three.

Doubt he will win it. I am happy and content he was at least nominated. Will go to Hedman, because of who he is and what team he is on, which are cup favorites. The fact that Fox was better than Hedman this year won't make a difference and that is typical NHL political BS.

Reactions: Ignatius

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
How on earth is Hedman a finalist?

Doubt he will win it. I am happy and content he was at least nominated. Will go to Hedman, because of who he is and what team he is on, which are cup favorites. The fact that Fox was better than Hedman this year won't make a difference and that is typical NHL political BS.

Already answered.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How is it a slam dunk? NYR misses the playoffs, Makar is the only PPG Dman of the finalists and is 3 pts behind Fox only bc he missed 12 games due to injury. Not saying Fox doesn’t win this because Makar’s injury could legitimately take him out of the running but it’s definitely not a slam dunk

I think both Makar and Fox deserve it over Hedman. I think Makar may lose some votes because he missed some time.

Last edited:
Reactions: BHD

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada

I agree Fox was head and shoulders the best.

Hedman played insanely well early on but any time I caught him late season seemed he was faltering a little more. Possibly fatigue or just that good players do that.

Don't remember last time a d missed so many games and won or Letang would have won over Subban in the last shortened season.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Hedman is head and shoulders (literally and figuratively) above the rest when healthy, but there's tons of speculation that he isn't. He shouldn't receive that many votes from the professionals - whose job is to follow the league - when even a casual fan can notice he's having an off season. Now, if he ends up winning it...

woinf

May 25, 2021
Edmonton
Hedman was pretty bad after his injury this year, his spot should have went to McAvoy who is arguably the best 5v5 overall defender in the league. He's a non factor on the PP though so I would still have Fox over him.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I agree Fox was head and shoulders the best.

Hedman played insanely well early on but any time I caught him late season seemed he was faltering a little more. Possibly fatigue or just that good players do that.

Don't remember last time a d missed so many games and won or Letang would have won over Subban in the last shortened season.

The last time Letang A) played at a Norris-level and B) didn't miss a ton of games was 2015-16 (71 GP). Even then, his game didn't pick up until the coaching change.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hedman is head and shoulders (literally and figuratively) above the rest when healthy, but there's tons of speculation that he isn't. He shouldn't receive that many votes from the professionals - whose job is to follow the league - when even a casual fan can notice he's having an off season. Now, if he ends up winning it...

I think he could win it still. About 50/50. Don't think he deserves it but there could be a narrative about kucherov being out, how well Hedman played in the first half. He really slumped hard around the time Stamkos went out though so not sure how that could go.

There's also the vitriol against Tampa in general right now that could push voters away from him. 'How hard is it to look good on a team 20m over the cap that just won the cup'? Sort of stuff.

gn2007

Nov 21, 2009
Shelby Township, MI
It will be makar or hedman. Fox had 1 assist and a -3 against the Islanders in 8 games. -2 against Boston and no points in 8 games. Reason why those 2 teams are still in the playoffs ‍♂️

Fox padded his stats against devils, buffalo, and flyers

12 pts and +5 vs buffalo. 8 pts and +6 vs devils. 10 pts and +4 against flyers.

This is just my opinion. I just know for sure buffalo, and devils had abysmal goaltending thus year lol. While flyers was injury plagued all year.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I think he could win it still. About 50/50. Don't think he deserves it but there could be a narrative about kucherov being out, how well Hedman played in the first half. He really slumped hard around the time Stamkos went out though so not sure how that could go.

There's also the vitriol against Tampa in general right now that could push voters away from him. 'How hard is it to look good on a team 20m over the cap that just won the cup'? Sort of stuff.

From fans who take issue with the Kucherov situation. From the media, though... He's not a finalist if the media doesn't hold him/the Lightning in such high regard. To be clear, I'm not trying to disparage him. He's an elite player and key part of a top team, but he hasn't been as effective this season. Certainly not good enough to be mentioned for the award.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
The last time Letang A) played at a Norris-level and B) didn't miss a ton of games was 2015-16 (71 GP). Even then, his game didn't pick up until the coaching change.

I didn't mention recently. I just said that if games played weren't a problem for awards, Letang would have won in 2012? Whichever the shortened season was.

From fans who take issue with the Kucherov situation. From the media, though... He's not a finalist if the media doesn't hold him/the Lightning in such high regard. To be clear, I'm not trying to disparage him. He's an elite player and key part of a top team, but he hasn't been as effective this season. Certainly not good enough to be mentioned for the award.

I have to think there's a certain amount of pressure from the media to include Hedman though, right? No other big name had a good season really.

Reactions: BHD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad