Speculation: 2020-21 News/Rumors/Roster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
When the Kings traded for Richards and Carter, they were coming off successive 101 and 98 point seasons. That's a FAR cry from back to back 70+ point seasons (I'm projecting on this last COVID shortened season). But let's back track just 3 seasons from the 2012 Cup season. Lombardi drafted Doughty/Voynov/Nolan, acquired Stoll, Greene, Williams, O'Donnell, Richardson, Scuderi, Smyth, Mitchell and Penner. This all happened before trading for Richards/Carter/Fraser. Discounting O'Donnell and Smyth, after 3 seasons of wheeling and dealing, that's 13 of the 18 skaters from Game 6 of the 2012 SCF. Kopi, Brown, Lewis, Martinez and King were drafted pre-2008. The point is, eventually you have to blow your asset wad. I think it's too early.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
The King is dead. Long live the the King!!!

martinez+gwg.gif

usatsi_7952673.jpg

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The enduring image of Lundqvist in the Stanley Cup Final is gonna be him facedown on the ice after getting outplayed by Quick all series, which became a fun subplot to all the Stepan can shut down Kopitar, McDonagh > Doughty, Lundqvist > Quick trash. I don't think Rangers fans will ever get over it and they're still super salty as a group towards Doughty and Quick. And I can never forget how often the dude showed up his d-men, not sure there's another goalie this side of Mike Smith who threw his hands up in defeat more. Loser mentality.

But great goaltender, arguably best of the generation for his consistency across time, and all class. Great human being.

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
Just a thought about Laine, if he is still in Winnipeg come next off season, we could easily consider an offer sheet then and our team would be in a much better position to do so.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Just a thought about Laine, if he is still in Winnipeg come next off season, we could easily consider an offer sheet then and our team would be in a much better position to do so.
It’ll be 4 1sts, and Winnipeg would match just about anything we offered, to point of mutual oblivion. Not for Laine, thanks.

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
It’ll be 4 1sts, and Winnipeg would match just about anything we offered, to point of mutual oblivion. Not for Laine, thanks.

You really think Laine is worth 11 million? Laine is not the 4th best player in the league, he won't be paid that. Laine is probably somewhere in the $8-9 million range, which is a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for the following draft. You're right in that Winnipeg would probably match that, but its not 4 1sts...

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
You really think Laine is worth 11 million? Laine is not the 4th best player in the league, he won't be paid that. Laine is probably somewhere in the $8-9 million range, which is a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for the following draft. You're right in that Winnipeg would probably match that, but its not 4 1sts...

I don’t think Laine is worth 11, but that doesn’t really matter in light of what GMs have been paying star players the last couple years. Its anyone’s guess what he’ll get.

Laine is probably worth around 9. But the Jets would make that contract fit no questions asked and thank us for moving negotiations along for them. The point is that we’d need to stupidly overbid on a star player’s offer sheet to get it done. Not the game I want to play over a winger.

Reactions: The Lukeman

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Offer Sheet Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

8.726 mil - 10.9 mil is two firsts, a second, and a third. Laine's QO after this season is 7.5 mil, so you'd probably have to hypothetically go past 9 million to make Winnipeg hesitate.

One thing I was curious about with Laine was whether his shooting percentage might regress to the mean after his first two seasons (17.6%, 18.3%). It ended up dropping to more normal levels (12.2%, 12.4%); Just as a reference Alex Ovechkin has a career shooting percentage at 12.7%. I wonder if Winnipeg is worried they'd have to pay Laine 40+ goal money but he will only be a 30+ goal guy and has a career trajectory like a Thomas Vanek.

I like Laine but I could see why Winnipeg might be trying to move him.

Edit: I forgot that Thomas Vanek signed a big offer sheet in 2007 when he was 23. Laine would be 23 next offseason.

Reactions: The Lukeman

Mikyal

Sep 4, 2020
Trade for Ehlers who has a decent contract and capable of putting up 65+ points/season.

Clague, Thomas, 2nd or 3rd for Ehlers

Iafallo-Kopitar-Ehlers
Kempe-Vilardi-Frk
Wagner-Lizotte-Brown
Moore-Amadio/JAD-Carter

Bjornfot-Doughty
Anderson-Walker
Kevan Miller/Mac-Roy

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Trade for Ehlers who has a decent contract and capable of putting up 65+ points/season.

Clague, Thomas, 2nd or 3rd for Ehlers

Iafallo-Kopitar-Ehlers
Kempe-Vilardi-Frk
Wagner-Lizotte-Brown
Moore-Amadio/JAD-Carter

Bjornfot-Doughty
Anderson-Walker
Kevan Miller/Mac-Roy

Love the idea but that package isn’t enough.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

No Name The Nameless

Feb 15, 2019
Tornado Alley
I love hearing Blake talk about Krug. This is what I'm talking about. It's a no lose situation. Even if he doesn't trade Blake has is talking.

Ps.. if they manage to land Krug and he signs it REALLY accelerates the rebuild. That is the position the Kings have to get to be an actual contender

Reactions: jfont

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Yeah defintely not a 2nd. I suggested Krug back when we still had Muzzin and Martinez. Seems kind of silly to deal those 2 and then to trade for and sign Krug but what do I know.

Yeah, a 2nd would be too high just for the rights. Carolina got a 5th trading Edmundson's rights to MTL. 3rd or 4th at best.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The rumors about the Kings being one of the team asking about Laine are interesting. The only trade that makes sense to me is Laine for Doughty straight up.

The Jets biggest need is defense. Their top RD is Neil Pionk; who is a very good player but more of a 3/4 on a team looking to go deep in the playoffs. And the Jets can absorb Doughty’s cap hit.

I don’t think the Jets want a high draft pick and Doughty would be the top d man on the list of teams rumored to be asking about Laine, who is potentially available.

Doughty has movement protection but he may be willing to ok a trade to a team in Canada. The Jets are much closer to the playoffs than the Kings, so Drew may prefer a change in scenery while he still has gas in the tank.

Losing Doughty would open a huge hole on one of the worst defenses in the league. But the Kings would still be able to afford a couple of guys like Krug and Brodie (or Hamonic). A ton of people will question trading Drew, but adding Laine, Krug, Brodie and Byfield to the opening night roster would really change the outlook for the Kings in the next 2 years.

Iafallo Kopitar Laine
Kempe Byfield Vilardi
Wagner Lizotte Brown
Grundstrom Amadio JAD
Frk, Carter

Krug Brodie
Anderson Roy
Bjornfot Walker
MacD

Petersen
Quick / AHL vet

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
The rumors about the Kings being one of the team asking about Laine are interesting. The only trade that makes sense to me is Laine for Doughty straight up.

The Jets biggest need is defense. Their top RD is Neil Pionk; who is a very good player but more of a 3/4 on a team looking to go deep in the playoffs. And the Jets can absorb Doughty’s cap hit.

I don’t think the Jets want a high draft pick and Doughty would be the top d man on the list of teams rumored to be asking about Laine, who is potentially available.

Doughty has movement protection but he may be willing to ok a trade to a team in Canada. The Jets are much closer to the playoffs than the Kings, so Drew may prefer a change in scenery while he still has gas in the tank.

Losing Doughty would open a huge hole on one of the worst defenses in the league. But the Kings would still be able to afford a couple of guys like Krug and Brodie (or Hamonic). A ton of people will question trading Drew, but adding Laine, Krug, Brodie and Byfield to the opening night roster would really change the outlook for the Kings in the next 2 years.

Iafallo Kopitar Laine
Kempe Byfield Vilardi
Wagner Lizotte Brown
Grundstrom Amadio JAD
Frk, Carter

Krug Brodie
Anderson Roy
Bjornfot Walker
MacD

Petersen
Quick / AHL vet

With all due respect....there's no f***ing way the Kings are trading Doughty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad