Speculation: 2020-21 News/Rumors/Roster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Just reading the Sergachev thread on the trade rumors board. There was a proposal in the thread for Sergachev and Cirelli for the #1 pick.

got me thinking. I know I am super high on Sergachev. 22 year old top 10 pick developed properly and en route to a number 1 Dman. He is a left shot with size and offensive skill and has an edge to his game. Exactly what we need.

Cirelli is a 23 year old center with a great two way game. Perfect 3rd line center for us.

Now we could end up with a game breaker or a Kopitar clone in a few years with our #2. It’s the shiny new toy in the box. They also may pan out to be 60 point a year players

if Tampa offered me those 2 young guys for the 2 I take it. The two are proven and will assist the team in the Kopitar, Brown, Quick year was well as in the future with the newer guys like Turcotte, Roy, Kaliyev etc.

I truly do believe that Sergachev will be a number one defenseman in this league and if he were in the draft this year and developed to the point he was I think he would compete for top spot

I wouldn't only because both are due for a big raise.

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
Just reading the Sergachev thread on the trade rumors board. There was a proposal in the thread for Sergachev and Cirelli for the #1 pick.

got me thinking. I know I am super high on Sergachev. 22 year old top 10 pick developed properly and en route to a number 1 Dman. He is a left shot with size and offensive skill and has an edge to his game. Exactly what we need.

Cirelli is a 23 year old center with a great two way game. Perfect 3rd line center for us.

Now we could end up with a game breaker or a Kopitar clone in a few years with our #2. It’s the shiny new toy in the box. They also may pan out to be 60 point a year players

if Tampa offered me those 2 young guys for the 2 I take it. The two are proven and will assist the team in the Kopitar, Brown, Quick year was well as in the future with the newer guys like Turcotte, Roy, Kaliyev etc.

I truly do believe that Sergachev will be a number one defenseman in this league and if he were in the draft this year and developed to the point he was I think he would compete for top spot
I don't see how we could turn that one down if it was offered. They would also need more though to give them something they can use to win now in their win now window. Clague or a Kempe? It would be awesome to get to known quantities with this one pick if that were possible though.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
My money's on Tampa jettisoning Killorn and Tyler Johnson with draft choices. These types of moves typically signify the beginning of the end for Cup winning teams. Contracts start killing you and you start trading away 1st round picks and prospects to keep afloat.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
My money's on Tampa jettisoning Killorn and Tyler Johnson with draft choices. These types of moves typically signify the beginning of the end for Cup winning teams. Contracts start killing you and you start trading away 1st round picks and prospects to keep afloat.

While I agree that would be the smart thing to do, the issue Tampa will have is they gave everyone a NMC/NTC and will have to hope these guys will wave them. If they won’t things could go bad for them sooner than it should.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
While I agree that would be the smart thing to do, the issue Tampa will have is they gave everyone a NMC/NTC and will have to hope these guys will wave them. If they won’t things could go bad for them sooner than it should.

I didn't forget about the NMC/NTCs. Hockey players usually capitulate to some degree when they know they're not wanted. On top of the fact that now these players have a Cup on their list of accomplishments and may want larger roles because they're playing for the next contract as well. They won't send them to Siberia, but I would guess they'd accept a trade to playoff teams in the West if push came to shove.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
I can't see why Blake wouldn't use the cap space leverage to take on some money to get assets that can then either be used in trade. It's all about what's out there. Making some moves that won't wreck them longterm can help facilitate the build.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I can't see why Blake wouldn't use the cap space leverage to take on some money to get assets that can then either be used in trade. It's all about what's out there. Making some moves that won't wreck them longterm can help facilitate the build.

I'd take Killorn and a pick! He could help on the wing for one of our young centers.

Reactions: RocketKing

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I absolutely can see why the kings would not accept cap dumps.

The kings have the number one prospect pool in the NHL. The need/benefit to take on a dump for assets isn't there. It would be a different story if the pool was as bad as the one 3 years ago.

AEG is also absolutely hurting. No concerts, no sports venues, no awards ceremonies, no Coachella, just nothing is going on. They have to be hemorrhaging cash. AEG has done furloughs and staff cuts. The kings have cut salaries 20% and let Jon Rosen go.

Edit: All indications are the kings will have an internal cap or at least a soft cap unless a no brainer deal comes along. I would much rather not spend the money if that means the kings can be a cap team sooner. It matters when the kings key players hit RFA and need contracts.

Edit: The kings also may be simply waiting. Good players may be bought out, not qualified, or shake loose from other teams as UFAs. There is also the expansion draft to consider.

Last edited:

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I didn't forget about the NMC/NTCs. Hockey players usually capitulate to some degree when they know they're not wanted. On top of the fact that now these players have a Cup on their list of accomplishments and may want larger roles because they're playing for the next contract as well. They won't send them to Siberia, but I would guess they'd accept a trade to playoff teams in the West if push came to shove.
They do? Examples? I see just the opposite.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I absolutely can see why the kings would not accept cap dumps.

The kings have the number one prospect pool in the NHL. The need/benefit to take on a dump for assets isn't there. It would be a different story if the pool was as bad as the one 3 years ago.

AEG is also absolutely hurting. No concerts, no sports venues, no awards ceremonies, no Coachella, just nothing is going on. They have to be hemorrhaging cash. AEG has done furloughs and staff cuts. The kings have cut salaries 20% and let Jon Rosen go.
If Blake is patient he should have a great opportunity in the foreseeable future to pick up some top young talent on long term contracts. He can send back decent, cheap players (Iafallo, Kempe, Walker) and sweeten with picks/prospects if needed. I'm just not seeing where the legit contenders and wannabees can take on expensive contracts to improve -- too many of them are pretty much in the same boat.

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
TB has a tax benefit for playing there so money does come into play as well. I think it’s going to be hard to get guys who just won a championship and still has a legit window to win more to move out to another team. But I’m sure that’s Plan A for them.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
I wouldn't only because both are due for a big raise.

so what. We have lots of cash and lots more coming off the books. If it’s a key position and the players are going into their prime years it’s more than okay

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
so what. We have lots of cash and lots more coming off the books. If it’s a key position and the players are going into their prime years it’s more than okay

We get more contract control with Byfield or Stutzle. Also, we don't know how well Sergachev would perform on the top pair. He's the 3rd best LH D on TB and doesn't get the touch matchups that Hedman and McDonagh get.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
If Blake is patient he should have a great opportunity in the foreseeable future to pick up some top young talent on long term contracts. He can send back decent, cheap players (Iafallo, Kempe, Walker) and sweeten with picks/prospects if needed. I'm just not seeing where the legit contenders and wannabees can take on expensive contracts to improve -- too many of them are pretty much in the same boat.

Like Mitch Marnier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad