Speculation: 2020-21 News/Rumors/Roster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Kings should draft Byfield, offer sheet Sergachev and trade for Josh Anderson.

That’s my dream.

That would be a successful offseason, but I don't anticipate a Sergachev trade, and Josh Anderson is a RFA who missed a ton of playing time with a shoulder injury.

Another name to consider, despite him not necessarily living up to expectations quite yet, is Jake Virtanen. He was on his way to his first 20 goal season this year, and he just turned 24 a few months ago. Virtanen is also a RFA whom the Canucks might struggle to retain.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
If we’re going into the dream land of trading for Laine I’d rather trade for Eichel. Better player, more important position, locked up with term. But that’s just as far fetched as Laine, more reasonable is Sergachev (which won’t happen). Could see Cernak possibly which is ironic. Past that, I’d go with the Kings doing nothing. Or trading for that name nobody thought of.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
So the Kings have the 2nd, 35th, 51st, 60th, and 66th picks in the NHL draft (although Arizona is forfeiting pick #49, so LA actually has #50, 59, and 65). Here are some recent draft picks at each position:

2: Tyler Seguin (2010), Gabriel Landeskog (2011), Aleksander Barkov (2013), Jack Eichel (2015), Patrik Laine (2016), Nolan Patrick (2017), Andrei Svechnikov (2018), Kaapo Kakko (2019)
35: Tomas Jurco (2011), JT Compher (2013), Sebastien Aho (2015), Jordan Kyrou (2016)
51: Calle Jarnkrok (2010), Brendan Guhle (2015), Kale Clague (2016), Akil Thomas (2018)
60: Damon Severson (2012), Alex Lintuniemi (2014), Oliver Kylington (2015)
66: Radko Gudas (2010), Jimmy Vesey (2012), Brett Pesche (2013), Adam Fox (2016)

Just to give an idea of the caliber of players we might select.

Reactions: mbar

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
That would be a successful offseason, but I don't anticipate a Sergachev trade, and Josh Anderson is a RFA who missed a ton of playing time with a shoulder injury.

Another name to consider, despite him not necessarily living up to expectations quite yet, is Jake Virtanen. He was on his way to his first 20 goal season this year, and he just turned 24 a few months ago. Virtanen is also a RFA whom the Canucks might struggle to retain.
I don’t like the sounds of him going to arbitration, some Canuck fans prefer letting him walk vs what he may get. But I’m interested in him if the price is simply taking on a contract like Baertschi.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The Kings had yet to make it out of the 1st round before both Richards and Carter were acquired for a lot of future. You could technically throw Penner in there too.

Could the Kings use a 22 year old goal scorer? Yes. One that already makes $6.75m, and is a RFA again next summer? That makes it complicated. Obviously Laine would instantly become part of the new core, but do the Kings really have what the Jets want/need? They've committed to their own core there, which isn't overly young, and what do the Kings have that can help them today on the same level as Laine?

As was mentioned, Eichel might be the better target. If that conversation could even start, it starts at the #2 pick, and keeps going for the Kings.

I'm guessing the Kings do very little.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Bruins Trade Talk: Kings In Mix For Krug

An NHL source has confirmed to Boston Hockey Now that the Kings have had Torey Krug at the top of their free agent and trade target list ‘for a while’ and General Manager Rob Blake has let it be known he would be willing to trade for the right to talk contract with the longtime Bruins defenseman. If as expected, the Bruins are expecting a second or third round pick for Krug, Blake has a surplus. The Kings have three second round picks and two picks in the third round.

If we trade for rights and don't get the contract, that would be brutal. Definitely can't be a second.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
The Kings had yet to make it out of the 1st round before both Richards and Carter were acquired for a lot of future. You could technically throw Penner in there too.

Could the Kings use a 22 year old goal scorer? Yes. One that already makes $6.75m, and is a RFA again next summer? That makes it complicated. Obviously Laine would instantly become part of the new core, but do the Kings really have what the Jets want/need? They've committed to their own core there, which isn't overly young, and what do the Kings have that can help them today on the same level as Laine?

As was mentioned, Eichel might be the better target. If that conversation could even start, it starts at the #2 pick, and keeps going for the Kings.

I'll say it again: I'd pay up for Eichel with zero regrets. If sucking for the last two years provided you the assets to acquire Eichel at his current age and production then sign me up all day long.

At some point, one in the hand is worth two in the bush. I'm on the "too early to do something" train but Eichel's age and contract length are an exception. I know that people might be afraid of a $10MM hit but the Kovy/Phaneuf hits fall off after this season so there you go. Kings would still, in theory, have good prospects coming up even after a hypothetical trade.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Interestingly, in addition to TSN's report suggesting LA could use Laine, Elliotte Friedman also mentions LA as a team that could be interested in Laine.

12. When it comes to Patrik Laine, it sounds like he and the Jets are trying to solve an issue before it really becomes a problem. Winnipeg has term with Kyle Connor, Nikolaj Ehlers, Mark Scheifele and Blake Wheeler. That’s what they like and it’s why I think an Ehlers trade, as has been rumoured, is not Winnipeg’s want. Laine’s next negotiation will be massive. In the meantime, the winger wants guarantees of playing with Scheifele, which the Jets aren’t so willing to give. My sense is the Jets are saying, “Let’s try and do this now before we have to negotiate again.”

There’s a legit chance it happens. Columbus, hoping to make a major move, is in there, but is there a match? Same with Carolina. Two teams that could do it: Los Angeles and Philadelphia. I’m just not sure they would. I also wonder about the Islanders. It’s the kind of stealth move Lou Lamoriello would love. But they’ve got cap issues and it’s not like he’d give us a hint.

It's more or less a hunch/speculation on the part of TSN and Friedman, as they're linking a goal scorer to LA since that has seemingly been a team need for many, many years.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Bruins Trade Talk: Kings In Mix For Krug

If we trade for rights and don't get the contract, that would be brutal. Definitely can't be a second.

If this happens and the Kings pay up for Krug, I think it means the following:

- Furthers my belief that expectations for the 2021-22 season are very high but Management might be feeling a bit friskier this season than I originally thought. I still think they are happy with a noticeable improvement in the standings but, ultimately, another Top 10 pick. Krug is the LHD they lack but what also sticks out is his moxie. Lot of talk about rebuilding a culture and this is a guy with the right attitude. Boston is already offering him a six year deal though and he'll be 30 in six months. That is worrisome but, again, Kovy/Phaneuf buy-out cap hits fall off after this season. Carter/Brown fall off after two seasons. If Blake looks out into the future landscape and thinks that Krug is the best LHD with skill and character that will be available for the next couple of seasons, maybe they get aggressive. It will have to be a long-term deal so it definitely isn't a "win now" type move so it wouldn't really run counter to a rebuild. The Scuderi signing seemed like too much at the time it was done but that turned out to be great. Not sure what the cap was back then but a Krug deal at today's number might not be that much more as a percentage and Krug is a better player.

Reactions: kingsfan28

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Maybe 5th rounder at most. I wouldn't even trade a 2nd (from the Kings perspective) if Krug still had a year left on his contract. That would be a waste of resources. Of course, that's just the Bruins side -- i sure as heck hope Blake view on compensation is at the other side of the draft round (5th-7th rounder).

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Maybe 5th rounder at most. I wouldn't even trade a 2nd (from the Kings perspective) if Krug still had a year left on his contract. That would be a waste of resources. Of course, that's just the Bruins side -- i sure as heck hope Blake view on compensation is at the other side of the draft round (5th-7th rounder).

I would trade a 3rd or less. I just wouldn't give a 2nd or higher unless it was like a Crosby/McDavid and there is known interest. If Blake feels he can get him signed, I'd gamble a 3rd or 4th on the move.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The highest cost I've seen a team pay for UFA rights was when Philly gave up a 1st to Nashville for the rights to Scott Hartnell and Kimmo Timonen, and they successfully signed both players before they hit the market.

Reactions: BringTheReign

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Rangers bought out Lundqvist huh? ouch seems like a slap in the face for a guy with one season left.
Apparently it was a mutual agreement. Lundqvist didn't want to be a back up for his last year and the Rangers didn't want to make him a back up for his last year.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005

A big no thanks on Laine for me.

He's extremely talented, but I think he wants a ridiculous contract, and he's had some motivation issues.

Anguyen92

Aug 23, 2020
Or mutually agree to terminate the contract.

But wait, if they mutually agree to terminate the contract, Lundqvist doesn't get any part of the $4.5M left on his salary, just the $1M signing bonus right? At least, doing this buyout, he gets $3M over two years? Is that correct?

In comparison when talking about contract termination, we only paid $14.5M out of the $18.75M for Kovalchuk, right? The only thing we didn't pay was the salary for his final year of the contract and just take the cap hit penalty for this next season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad